Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#260816 - 05/22/13 05:49 PM Re: Preparedness Apps for Smart Phones [Re: Russ]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: Russ
Does the phone have a GPS chip? If it does then it uses neither data nor voice plan. Hmmm something else to check. I'll put the phone in airplane mode and see if the phone still knows where it is.
Edit: never mind, airplane mode turns that off too.

Just ran a quick experiment on my Galaxy s3 (android version 4.1.2); with airplane mode on, GPS still works and generates a position. I went back online, downloaded a local map from Google Maps, went into airplane mode again and GPS found my location on the downloaded map. But it looks like downloading lots of map data will really eat up your storage quickly.

#260817 - 05/22/13 06:02 PM Re: Preparedness Apps for Smart Phones [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
If it is keeping a log, that info is apparently not available to either Tom's GPS or Here I Am. Neither would give me a location until I turned airplane mode off. Turning off cellular data seemed to have no effect. As soon as I turned airplane mode off, both apps had location info immediately.

#260819 - 05/22/13 06:13 PM Re: Preparedness Apps for Smart Phones [Re: Dagny]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Am_Fear, are you using GPS on you phone at all?

Also, you are not using any map on your phone that combines with positioning data, correct?

#260820 - 05/22/13 06:21 PM Re: Preparedness Apps for Smart Phones [Re: Russ]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

This discussion explains the controversy;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aemyzWnwLXI

View your own iPhone Geo Track log

http://petewarden.github.io/iPhoneTracker/

#260821 - 05/22/13 06:31 PM Re: Preparedness Apps for Smart Phones [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

I understand the controversy. I'm just not clear on how you have setup your system among all your devices.

#260822 - 05/22/13 06:33 PM Re: Preparedness Apps for Smart Phones [Re: Dagny]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

I really need to get that battery case. Apparently, there is at least one app that I have added that is being a battery hog. I can't figure it out, even after messing with settings. I'm tempted to erase all apps I don't absolutely need.

#260823 - 05/22/13 06:37 PM Re: Preparedness Apps for Smart Phones [Re: ireckon]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Am_Fear, are you using GPS on you phone at all?

The iPod Touch isn't a phone and doesn't have a inbuilt internal GPS + GLONASS.

It has multiple GPS applications installed such as Memory Map along with the mapping database installed in the iPod memory. To turn off the external GPS, I push the power button on the Garmin Glo BT GPS, the electronic map viewing and scrolling will still work even with location services turned off and in flight mode.

To make and receive phone calls on the iPod I use the ZTE MF-60 MiFi and the 3CX app configured for a Draytel VIOP account. Calls to the US from the UK typically cost about 1 penny per minute or about 1.5 cents PAYG. Calls from the UK to the UK are actually more expensive. Draytel also offers a PC application for free secure encrypted voice comms to other Draytel users using the same application if required.

The ZTE-60 can also be used with a directional Yagi antenna (rather than a circular radiator antenna) for better location security especially on the edge of a cell network.

The Garmin and ZTE devices can also used in conjuction with a Samsung notebook PC.

Contract iPhones are way too expensive and the money that was saved was used to purchase some nice AKG K702 headphones and FiiO E07K DAC Headphone amplifier both of which still work with the notebook PC.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (05/22/13 06:59 PM)

#260825 - 05/22/13 06:55 PM Re: Preparedness Apps for Smart Phones [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

My iPhone 4S will not download the file.
Quote:
Download Failed
Safari cannot download this file
OK

#260826 - 05/22/13 06:57 PM Re: Preparedness Apps for Smart Phones [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

To make and receive phone calls on the iPod I use the ZTE MF-60 MiFi and the 3CX app configured for a Draytel VIOP account. Calls to the US from the UK typically cost about 1 penny per minute or about 1.5 cents PAYG. Calls from the UK to the UK are actually more expensive. Draytel also offers a PC application for free secure encrypted voice comms to other Draytel users using the same application if required.

I am in the US and make calls to, and receive calls from, Eastern Europe using Skype (no affiliation) in voice only mode, using both desktop and mobile versions of Skype at no charge. Skype (at least for the moment) allows free international, including mobile to mobile (if both have Skype on their smartphone) international calls. NOTE; don't use video, just voice; most mobile (and few home internet connections) can handle the video, but voice only works fine. My relatives use Skype frequently for their international calls---pretty much have dumped the traditional phone system. Internet access is the key, and, as pointed out, there are many free internet (via wifi) access points.

The times they are a changin. . .

#260827 - 05/22/13 07:06 PM Re: Preparedness Apps for Smart Phones [Re: Dagny]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I have Topo Maps, and it downloads a map to your device so you don't need a connection to view the map.

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.