Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#260666 - 05/18/13 03:44 AM Re: Best survival/ hunting knife? [Re: robbiejoe111]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
These 'best survival knife' threads corkscrew around like a whirlwind, going nowhere until they just fade away from lack of energy, only to re-emerge later on. The reason for this is that the question, as posed, is unanswerable. There are simply too many moving variables.

Seems that any large knife is labeled with some pejorative like "Rambo knife". There's a picture of it below. I have several big knives, but not that one. In fact, I have seen a lot of big knives on guys back in the woods, but never seen one like that.

Primitive and pioneer cultures lived close to the Earth, and many of them carried the biggest knives they could get. Machetes, Hudson bay, Bowie, Leuku, teke, kris, scimitar, cutlass, to name a few.

As I write this, I'm trying to envision a Dakota warrior from early Minnesota proudly carrying his trusty Dakota Little Buddy (see below) in a beaded elk hide pouch while heading out into the trackless wild.

In the forests, river bottoms, and ravines where I live I have used my BK-7 or my Ontario CT-1 knives to hack down wild parsnip and water hemlock taller than me and thicker than my wrist. I have used it to dig holes and pry out rocks. I have used it to hack underbrush to make a place for a fire. I have used it to split deadwood to get at the dry core, and chop out pine knots for the fire. I have used it for shelter building. I have even used my CT-1 to cook fish.

Nice as it is, I just don't think a Ken Onion 'Leek' would have done the job for me.

One who actually lived in the woods for a time and has been called the "father of minimalist camping", Nessmuk carried 5 blades: a two edged hatchet, a two bladed pocket knife, and a larger wide fixed blade knife. I have followed his lead to some extent.

In lieu of a hatchet, I carry either my hardwood handled BK-7, or my Ontario CT-1 in a sleeve on my pack, a Mora clipper in the pack, and a Vic Classic in my pocket. If I'm in a non-wilderness area, such as a state park, I may opt to leave the big guy in the truck.

Non-wilderness EDC for me is a Wave, or a Vic Huntsman, or a Vic Classic depending on where I am.

To the OP: Pay no attention to those who say you can get by with the little sharp pointy thing on your nail clipper. Go out and look at knives you can afford, and just buy one that you like and keep it with you. You can use that knife experience as a point of reference for a lifetime. Is it too big? Too small? Too cheap? Too heavy? ........ Could lead to a lifetime of knife collecting.

Attachments
Rambo-with-knife.jpg

Dakota Little Buddy.jpg

#260668 - 05/18/13 11:54 AM Re: Best survival/ hunting knife? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
These 'best survival knife' threads corkscrew around like a whirlwind, going nowhere until they just fade away from lack of energy, only to re-emerge later on. The reason for this is that the question, as posed, is unanswerable. There are simply too many moving variables.

Bingo! We have a winner. Well stated.

#260670 - 05/18/13 04:12 PM Re: Best survival/ hunting knife? [Re: bacpacjac]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
Jr wanted to get me a new axe and Sr thought I needed a new fixed blade, a thinly veiled attempt to reclaim the Ruko I stole from him, I suspect.

LOL
Sorry but this made me laugh

Sr should have bought a new Ruko for the gift, and then get back his own.

Everyone is happy

#260671 - 05/18/13 10:36 PM Re: Best survival/ hunting knife? [Re: robbiejoe111]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: robbiejoe111
I'm new to this forum and have tried to search for this topic. But just wandering what y'all's thoughts are on the best survival knife,the USMC fighting knife from K-Bar is one of the best and time tested from what iv heard...

the best knife is the one you have on your person and hopefully is sharp and ready to go. A kabar may be great for fighting with - don't know, I've never tried to fight with one before. But why even bring it up as a survival knife?

All kinds of aspects of a knife to discuss the steel, length, shape, grind, thickness, weight, handle type and material, fixed vs. folder, etc. - where to start?

#260674 - 05/19/13 12:14 AM Re: Best survival/ hunting knife? [Re: Roarmeister]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
On the subject of folders, in one of his video's, Ron Hood mentioned one of the Victorinox Swiss Army locking knives (the 111mm format) such as the Outrider or the Trekker because of the saw and other tools that can come in handy.

Doug Ritter's RSK Mk 1 is a folder. IMO folders make good survival knives because you can carry them just about anywhere and will have them when you arrive at that unexpected survival situation. If it's not unexpected, you won't be there.

There are many good knives for hunting, I s'pose the best depends on what you are hunting; the best for Quail ain't the same as the best for Elk. Check out the Dozier website for his line of hunting knives. D2 steel makes a good steel for this because it holds an excellent edge.

If you want a fighting knife then the Marine Kabar is as good as most, most of what makes a fighting knife good is the skill of the guy whose hands are holding it.

#260677 - 05/19/13 02:59 AM Re: Best survival/ hunting knife? [Re: Chisel]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Chisel
Quote:
Jr wanted to get me a new axe and Sr thought I needed a new fixed blade, a thinly veiled attempt to reclaim the Ruko I stole from him, I suspect.

LOL
Sorry but this made me laugh

Sr should have bought a new Ruko for the gift, and then get back his own.

Everyone is happy

In my defense, I did coach the kids into getting him a new fixed blade for Father's Day a couple or years ago. Hand crafted right here in Ontario. He had been eyeballing it for a while but, I suspect, still hoping that the Ruko abduction was only temporary. wink

P.s. he gets this look on his face when he sharpens them. I'm always convinced that the jig is up for me and that knife, but then he goes and gets me a new sharpener. Now i don't risk losing that beloved knife by asking him to sharpen it for me. I take it as acceptance of the trade for the new knife. Men! LOL!

Edited by bacpacjac (05/19/13 03:06 AM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#260704 - 05/20/13 09:34 PM Re: Best survival/ hunting knife? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
GauchoViejo Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Argentina
Totally agree with you, I've never seen a gaucho wearing a knife with a blade shorter than 8 inches and their preferred carry is 12 inches. They use their knives every single day for their work and their dexterity is unbelievable.
I can't match their skill so I carry a Victorinox Locksmith and a 9 inch blade.

#260705 - 05/20/13 11:05 PM Re: Best survival/ hunting knife? [Re: robbiejoe111]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Right tool for the job, understanding limitations such as local laws and mode of travel. Also how much weight you are willing to carry. It may be better to carry a pocket knife/multi-tool and a hatchet, or a long blade may be what you need. Just know how to use the tool you carry.

#260708 - 05/21/13 02:13 AM Re: Best survival/ hunting knife? [Re: robbiejoe111]
RedGreen Offline
Stranger

If I could only have one knife in a true 'survival' scenario it would be an Ontario Pilot, I can't think of a better 'jack of all trades, master of none' type knife. With a fresh edge and good technique it can take care of any cutting task, yet it's soft enough to chop, pry, scrape, and dig with little risk of chipping or breaking.

#260730 - 05/21/13 05:40 PM Re: Best survival/ hunting knife? [Re: hikermor]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
I concur, in the field big knives are almost never an advantage and a small sharp knife and a baton can out preform a big knife everytime.

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Let me be clear. The significance of a knife, especially a big knife (blade over 4" in length) in a "survival" situation is way overrated...You will do just fine with a moderate size Swiss Army or Mora knife, especially if you can keep it sharp...I rarely carry them("Big Knives"), because they are just too heavy and cumbersome for what they can accomplish.

I think that big knives are more of a "Morale Tool" than "Survival Tool".
boreal.net

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.