Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#260784 - 05/22/13 01:07 AM Re: 13 Minutes Warning - what can you do? [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: AKSAR

If you want to live where very few tornadoes happen, you'd better head west. Or north.

See a map of all killer tornadoes since 1950.

Good advice. You will avoid tornadoes but your exposure to earthquakes will increase. Of course, work on a high tech earthquake warning system is underway. The system might give you about sixteen seconds advance warning (unless you are at the epicenter).

BTW, is there a record of the total number of fatalities depicted on that most interesting map? I dare say it might reach into the hundreds or thousands.

Actually, you still have tornadoes in California, but they are wimpy. Some years ago, our local Doppler radar detected rotary motion in a winter storm. Listening to the early morning radio and realizing that the rotating cloud was generally southwest of our home, I gathered my wife and daughter in our interior hallway and explained the situation. Later that day, a massive landslide caused fatalities nearby, in the beachside community of La Conchita.

#260787 - 05/22/13 01:51 AM Re: 13 Minutes Warning - what can you do? [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: hikermor
BTW, is there a record of the total number of fatalities depicted on that most interesting map? I dare say it might reach into the hundreds or thousands.
If you follow the link at the bottom of the map to the NOAA Storm Prediction Center at http://www.spc.noaa.gov/wcm/#data and scroll down to "Severe Weather Database Files (1950-2012)" it has links to the actual data files. You might have to total up fatalities yourself, but that should be easily doable if you import the "comma separated value" files into Excel.

Also, a further note regarding JBMat's comment:
Originally Posted By: JBMat
Tornadoes scare me spitless. ..... I try to live where they have very few.
Further up on that NOAA page are maps depicting "Annual Average Number of Tornadoes by State" and "Annual Average Number of Tornado Deaths by State". It would appear that on a 30 year average there are more tornadoes per year in OK (57) than NC (26), but about the same number of deaths (3 for both OK and NC). So based on historical experience, JB's odds of dying in a tornado are actually about the same in NC as in OK.

#260789 - 05/22/13 02:15 AM Re: 13 Minutes Warning - what can you do? [Re: Dagny]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
Just one more reason to move to Colorado or New Mexico ; ).

#260805 - 05/22/13 03:35 PM Re: 13 Minutes Warning - what can you do? [Re: Dagny]
Greg_Sackett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: KC, MO
Living here in tornado land has it's interesting moments at times, but the chances of actually being hit my one is very low.

This past weekend we were out in the camper with the girls in the driveway. I woke up at 1am hearing the winds blowing like crazy, checked the phone and noticed we were under a tornado watch. That ended the camper sleepover. One place you definitely don't want to be in severe weather is an RV or trailer.

Everyplace has it's issues. When I lived in Texas and Maryland I was hit by hurricanes. They are almost as fun as tornadoes plus they last for 2 days and flood everything. At least the tornadoes are small and relatively short lived.

When my wife was in CA she got hit by the big earthquake. Volcanoes in the Pacific Northwest. Wildfires out west. Pick your poison I guess.

While I am obviously concerned about tornadoes living where I do, I don't stress too much. We have a concrete safe room and I have insurance. As long as my family is ok the rest will be replaced.

#260815 - 05/22/13 05:41 PM Re: 13 Minutes Warning - what can you do? [Re: jshannon]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: jshannon
Just one more reason to move to Colorado or New Mexico ; ).

You might be basing this on statistics - which is fine.

But 5 years ago the town of Windsor, CO. was destroyed by tornado.
It's 12 miles from my house. The twisters closest point of approach to us was about 5 miles.

We don't generally get the mile-wide monsters and our twisters are usually spawned during daylight hours but..... still.

But in the overall scheme of probabilities it's my commute to/from work that's most likely to kill me from non-health causes.

#260818 - 05/22/13 06:11 PM Re: 13 Minutes Warning - what can you do? [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
The Washington Post's Capital Weather Gang has an interesting article on the current state of tornado prediction and efforts to improve it:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capi...better-prepare/

The also thought-provoking blog about preparedness that was referenced in the above:

http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/21/a-survival-plan-for-americas-tornado-danger-zone/

#260824 - 05/22/13 06:41 PM Re: 13 Minutes Warning - what can you do? [Re: Dagny]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
So, even if you're in a high-frequency tornado area, the chance of dying from a car accident in those areas is still higher?

Anyway, tornadoes still scare me more. In a car, there seems to be more control over the situation, for example, by being a conscientious driver without distractions. The same goes with airplane flight. I consider driving to be safer because I feel like I have more control over my fate.

#260845 - 05/23/13 01:16 AM Re: 13 Minutes Warning - what can you do? [Re: bacpacjac]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
I was one of those goody goodies who always waited it out. Hated getting in trouble so skipping never occurred to me until it was too late.

Welcome to the club. The realization of how little the trouble I would have gotten in then didn't set in until years later. Now days, my response would have been suspend me and see how fast I can call the paper and TV stations. "News at 6: school kids forced to stand outside in current weather for a DRILL!"

#260848 - 05/23/13 02:29 AM Re: 13 Minutes Warning - what can you do? [Re: Dagny]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

13 minutes assumes you did know - most people inside a building will neither hear the sirens no be listening to the radio. I assume 5 mins warning.

#260861 - 05/23/13 12:02 PM Re: 13 Minutes Warning - what can you do? [Re: TeacherRO]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
13 minutes assumes you did know - most people inside a building will neither hear the sirens no be listening to the radio. I assume 5 mins warning.

My County has the facility to send alert messages to cell and landline phones; this may increase the warning time and/or get it to a broader number of people. It reduces the dependence on siren alerts.

This seems to be a good idea, but I don't know how common it is with other Counties and Cities.

Only problem is that you have to "opt in" by signing up with the County. No opt ins needed for the siren.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.