Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#260723 - 05/21/13 04:29 PM 13 Minutes Warning - what can you do?
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
According to the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration (NOAA):

"The current average lead-time for tornado warnings is 13 minutes."

http://www.noaa.gov/features/protecting/tornados101.html

What can you do within that 13 minutes timeframe?

Certainly argues for having a shelter pre-stocked (whether a below-ground shelter or interior bathroom) with flashlight, first-aid, battery-powered radio, etc.

I've also noted in the images out of Oklahoma that even the worst-hit vehicles at least seem to be intact, as opposed to the residential homes which were obliterated. Argues for having sturdy leather work gloves and first aid, blanket/towels in cars to use in the aftermath of your own home's damage or to help rescue others in the debris.

If you were now living in tornado alley, what would you put in your child's school bag (backpack) that might be helpful if they were trapped in the rubble of a school?

Seems to me that a whistle, bandanna, bandaids, little flashlight would be good things for them to have at all times and especially in a crisis. Of course, they may not be near their bag when something happens but they might be.

I'll be adding OKC to my litany in response to the question: why prepare?

As little time as 13 minutes seems, there is zero notice for an earthquake or terrorist attacks.

#260726 - 05/21/13 04:54 PM Re: 13 Minutes Warning - what can you do? [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Tips from NOAA:

Indoors:

Abandon mobile homes — they are not safe even when tied down. Go to a designated shelter
Go to a basement or interior room on the lowest floor (bathroom or closet without windows, under stairs). Get under a sturdy piece of furniture.
Cover yourself with a mattress or blanket
Put on sturdy shoes
Put infants in car seats (indoors!)
If you have time, gather prescription medications, wallet and keys.
DO NOT open your windows!

In a vehicle:

Leave the vehicle for sturdy shelter or drive out of the tornado’s path
DO NOT hide under overpasses — they provide no shelter
Lie flat in a ditch (last-resort).

Outdoors:

Find a culvert or cave.
Find something to hang onto.
Lie flat in a ditch.
Cover your head.

#260728 - 05/21/13 05:14 PM Re: 13 Minutes Warning - what can you do? [Re: Dagny]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Dagny
I've also noted in the images out of Oklahoma that even the worst-hit vehicles at least seem to be intact, as opposed to the residential homes which were obliterated. Argues for having sturdy leather work gloves and first aid, blanket/towels in cars to use in the aftermath of your own home's damage or to help rescue others in the debris.

Whoa, when you say the vehicles seem to be intact, do you need to qualify that statement? Were the cars that were in tact right next to buildings that were obliterated? Did those particular buildings have unusually weak structures?

I initially read that statement as meaning it is best to stay in your car or leave your house to get to your vehicle. Is that right? This article says you should not stay in your car during a tornado:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-bl...a-tornado/48591

#260729 - 05/21/13 05:29 PM Re: 13 Minutes Warning - what can you do? [Re: Dagny]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
As little time as 13 minutes seems, there is zero notice for an earthquake or terrorist attacks.

This is one reason why I always carry a man bag on my person that includes things that are "better than nothing." What's odd to me is that even in California I can't have a conversation with anybody and explain the reasoning about earthquakes or whatever. People would look at me like I'm crazy. Note that I live in the same area where an earthquake collapsed the SF Bay Bridge. It should be odd to see men who do not carry a man bag. Regardless, I have to say I carry a man bag because I don't like carrying stuff in my pockets, which is also true.

#260731 - 05/21/13 05:41 PM Re: 13 Minutes Warning - what can you do? [Re: Dagny]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Dagny...a ball chain necklace with a whistle and Photon (Fenix E01 etc), plus a bandana would be very good on body EDC for students in tornado country... never mind the back pack... a metallic "dog tag" with name, parent contact number and any medical conditions included with the neck chain....a "skate board" helmet covering the rear of the head would be a good inclusion to the back pack along with a pair of safety glasses for flying debris...real shoes not sandals...

Edited by LesSnyder (05/21/13 05:53 PM)

#260732 - 05/21/13 05:46 PM Re: 13 Minutes Warning - what can you do? [Re: Dagny]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Tips from NOAA:

Indoors:

If you have time, gather prescription medications, wallet and keys.
DO NOT open your windows!

This is where I always say don't dump your wallet and keys in a landing zone by the front door of the house like many unprepared suggest. Those should be on you at all times (as well as your phone)

#260733 - 05/21/13 05:51 PM Re: 13 Minutes Warning - what can you do? [Re: LesSnyder]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
If for some reason I am away from my purse, I have, on me, the following: Medical I.D. bracelet, Fox 40 Classic, cell phone [I may not get a connection in an emergency] and anxiety medication.

Jeanette Isabelle

#260736 - 05/21/13 06:40 PM Re: 13 Minutes Warning - what can you do? [Re: ireckon]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: ireckon

Whoa, when you say the vehicles seem to be intact, do you need to qualify that statement? Were the cars that were in tact right next to buildings that were obliterated? Did those particular buildings have unusually weak structures?

I initially read that statement as meaning it is best to stay in your car or leave your house to get to your vehicle. Is that right? This article says you should not stay in your car during a tornado:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-bl...a-tornado/48591

My point was that for storing gloves/first-aid, etc. a vehicle may be easier to locate after the tornado hits than stuff in your obliterated house or office .

Vehicles are at least identifiable. It looks like even after the OKC tornado, I could probably identify my SUV even if it had been crushed. I might still be able to get some survival gear out of it if the storm didn't strip everything out of the interior.

A vehicle is obviously a VERY BAD place to be during a tornado.

#260739 - 05/21/13 07:00 PM Re: 13 Minutes Warning - what can you do? [Re: Dagny]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Thirteen minutes is a fair amount of time, although you certainly need a prepared course of action so that you can maximize the time. It is, of course, effectively much shorter if you are responsible for others. As one who has to be prepped for earthquakes, I am somewhat envious.

Consider that tornadoes do not spring out of nowhere, at least with current forecasting techniques.There is still a threat today. I would be wearing sturdy shoes and be in condition red or close to it, if I were in the affected region.

#260743 - 05/21/13 07:20 PM Re: 13 Minutes Warning - what can you do? [Re: Dagny]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
A helmet of almost any kind would seem to be a useful thing to wear.

Might look stupid up until the time the house really does cave in.

Motorcycle, bicycle, construction, football--- almost anything could potentially help.

I've only sat in our basement a few times due to tornadic activity in the area. Sat there with construction hard hats on, flashlights in hand and the handle installed on the natural gas shutoff valve......

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.