Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#260860 - 05/23/13 11:37 AM Re: Nearly 100 feared lost in tornado disaster [Re: hikermor]
RedGreen Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Building codes "force" us to do all sort of costly things,like anchoring walls to foundations in fairly precise ways, and all kinds of things in plumbing and electrical. I would regard construction of a safe room as a reasonable requirement in that particular neck of the woods.

Roofs, walls, plumbing, electrical systems, etc are all in active use every moment a home is occupied from the moment it is built, tornados are statistically rare events with the odds of a fatal event being even greater.

The U.S. averages 80 tornado fatalities per year, while we average over 3,500 non-boating related drownings. Would you regard the government mandated wearing of life jackets within 100ft of any lake, pond, pool, hot tub, or bathtub reasonable?

Life jacket = $25
Storm shelter = $5,000-10,000+

BTW, ironically the 9 children who died at the school on Monday actually survived the tornado, they drowned when the federally mandated fire sprinkler feed main broke and flooded the basement. So in a twisted way a regulation actually caused their death. I'm not advocating the removal of sprinkler systems, just trying to impart some reality. We do not need more emotion based bureaucracy/laws in our private lives.

Technically, the mayor is probably an elected official, not a bureaucrat

Technically (and by very definition), because one is elected does not negate them from being a bureaucrat.

Edited by RedGreen (05/23/13 11:38 AM)

#260867 - 05/23/13 02:44 PM Re: Nearly 100 feared lost in tornado disaster [Re: RedGreen]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: RedGreen

Choosing to install a storm shelter in ones private home is reasonable (and prudent).
Being forced to do so by a bureaucrat is absurd.

Technically (and by very definition), because one is elected does not negate them from being a bureaucrat.

This sort of stuff amounts to political commentary, and is not allowed under the forum rules. I take it that RedGreen is some sort of con serv ative, and he uses the language that some pundits on the right typically employs to insult government employees (e.g., "we don't want a *bureaucrat* to make our healthcare decisions!"). This is the sort of stuff that could potentially make Doug Ritter's job harder when he has to work with "bureaucrats." Finally, the whole "anti-regulation" stance is another political statement, having nothing to do with the focus of this forum.

There is no restriction on your political beliefs on this forum as long as you don't discuss them. That's what makes this a good forum.

#260872 - 05/23/13 04:47 PM Re: Nearly 100 feared lost in tornado disaster [Re: Bingley]
RedGreen Offline
Stranger

You're the only one who mentioned pollitical affiliation/politics, projected pollitical based assertions, and thinly veiled personal attack (banned under forum rules) based on perceived pollitical affiliation. My non-pollitical comments were timely, factual, and directly related to the posted topic concerning surviving a devastating tornado.

And no, I still do not understand why more people do not choose to install a shelter in their home in these areas.

#260875 - 05/23/13 05:09 PM Re: Nearly 100 feared lost in tornado disaster [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
RedGreen Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: James_Van_Artsdalen

That's easy to check - does anyone have a policy that offers a discount if there's a shelter?

Not everyone can afford to protect against every eventuality, and the alternative (apartment, etc) may be no safer."

I have family & friends near there and generally there is no discount as it does not actually protect the home (what is insured) only the occupants, but some life insurance companies offer a credit for them. The most inexpensive option we used on the farm (aside from a simple earth shelter) were LPG tanks. Simply cut one in half, weld a plate to the opening, cut a hatch and hinge it, then anchor to the slab. You can make two, two adult shelters for under $1k and it only takes up about 10 sq/ft of a garage floorspace. Typical tanks are 3/8-1/2” and more than capable of withstanding an EF-5 (3/16" flat plate has been tested/rated to 250mph in above ground applications).

Edited by RedGreen (05/23/13 05:10 PM)

#260879 - 05/23/13 07:15 PM Re: Nearly 100 feared lost in tornado disaster [Re: RedGreen]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

My non-pollitical comments were timely, factual, and directly related to the posted topic concerning surviving a devastating tornado.

There is nothing "factual" about a statement like "installing a shelter should be up to the individual, not up to government bureaucrats." This is an opinion, a political opinion at that. It's about policy and the role of government in society. How is the philosophy of governance "directly related to... surviving a devastating tornado"? It's not. It's about your view of government. Claiming otherwise is dishonest. Turning my well-intentioned advice for you to something about me is hypocritical.

#260885 - 05/23/13 11:19 PM Re: Nearly 100 feared lost in tornado disaster [Re: RedGreen]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal

Here is how wikipedia defines "bureaucrat."

German sociologist Max Weber defined a bureaucratic official as the following:[1]

He is personally free and appointed to his position on the basis of conduct.
He exercises the authority delegated to him in accordance with impersonal rules, and his loyalty is enlisted on behalf of the faithful execution of his official duties.
His appointment and job placement are dependent upon his technical qualifications.
His administrative work is a full-time occupation.
His work is rewarded by a regular salary and prospects of advancement in a lifetime career.
He must exercise his judgment and his skills, but his duty is to place these at the service of a higher authority. Ultimately he is responsible only for the impartial execution of assigned tasks and must sacrifice his personal judgment if it runs counter to his official duties.
Bureaucratic control is the use of rules, regulations, and formal authority to guide performance. It includes such things as budgets, statistical reports, and performance appraisals to regulate behavior and results.

Note the key phrase "appointed to his position." This definition rings true to me, because I fit most of it during my long career with the National Park Service. During that time I worked with all sorts of bureaucrats. Some were fat, lazy, and incompetent, but far more were energetic, conscientious, and thoughtful. Some were short; some were tall. Some were intellectual; some were earthy. A few were drop dead gorgeous; most of us, regrettably, were not. Bureaucrats bear a startling resemblance to people. Some employ the term as a pejorative, but most bureaucrats are simply trying to accomplish their job. They really don't stay awake at night figuring out how to make life difficult for the rest of us.

#260892 - 05/24/13 03:02 AM Re: Nearly 100 feared lost in tornado disaster [Re: RedGreen]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Building codes "force" us to do all sort of costly things,like anchoring walls to foundations in fairly precise ways, and all kinds of things in plumbing and electrical. I would regard construction of a safe room as a reasonable requirement in that particular neck of the woods.

Roofs, walls, plumbing, electrical systems, etc are all in active use every moment a home is occupied from the moment it is built, tornados are statistically rare events with the odds of a fatal event being even greater.

The U.S. averages 80 tornado fatalities per year, while we average over 3,500 non-boating related drownings. Would you regard the government mandated wearing of life jackets within 100ft of any lake, pond, pool, hot tub, or bathtub reasonable?

Life jacket = $25
Storm shelter = $5,000-10,000+

BTW, ironically the 9 children who died at the school on Monday actually survived the tornado, they drowned when the federally mandated fire sprinkler feed main broke and flooded the basement. So in a twisted way a regulation actually caused their death. I'm not advocating the removal of sprinkler systems, just trying to impart some reality. We do not need more emotion based bureaucracy/laws in our private lives.

Not that accuracy means much in a discussion such as this but today the medical examiner confirmed that the children died of mechanical asphyxiation, not drowning. Most likely they lost their lives when debris fell on them and crushed the breath from them. Not a broken sprinkler main, and not the twisted machinations of an unfeeling self-interested Weberian bureaucracy. They were in the path of a tornado, one moment alive and the next they were gone. Children. I find it sorta sad that you can join them in the same sentence with the effects of bureaucracy, when they are not even laid to rest today. Please give it a rest.

#260898 - 05/24/13 01:04 PM Re: Nearly 100 feared lost in tornado disaster [Re: RedGreen]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
it seems fairly reasonable

Choosing to install a storm shelter in ones private home is reasonable (and prudent).
Being forced to do so by a bureaucrat is absurd.

Agreed. Government can overstep itself, bit this strays dangerously close to forum boundaries. Now if the building regulations came from a neutral party, ie American Society of Civil Engineers or similar, I would be more supportive. This seems like typical knee jerk reaction.

As to basements, theyre possible, but not practical. An article on CNN a few days ago mentioned less than 1% of homes in that area had a basement. I have seen shelters dug into the slab of the garage, little more than 4' deep and 8-12 feet long, but it gives some protection.

#260899 - 05/24/13 02:37 PM Re: Nearly 100 feared lost in tornado disaster [Re: MDinana]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
One point worth noting in light of the total destruction of so many buildings, is that incorporation of a safe room/shelter is much easier and cheaper if it is planned into the design from the outset, rendering the additional cost fairly trivial; maybe you would have to give up granite kitchen counters in order to have a safe room and stay within budget. Some might regard that as reasonable.

I'll bet the good citizens of Moore can figure out a solution that suits them.

#260921 - 05/26/13 06:14 AM Re: Nearly 100 feared lost in tornado disaster [Re: Lono]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Lono

Not that accuracy means much in a discussion such as this but today the medical examiner confirmed that the children died of mechanical asphyxiation, not drowning.

I posted the "drowned" claim first. That' what the news media reported at the time, and I doubt anyone at the scene realized it wasn't drowning until the medical examiner looked closely. When you find a body pinned under water drowning is the first thing that comes to mind...

Quote:

Most likely they lost their lives when debris ell on them and crushed the breath from them. Not a broken sprinkler main,

Had they merely been pinned down by the debris and not killed at that point, they likely would have drowned.

The problem with a government mandate in the form of a code requirement is that it is a one-size-fits-all-solution when people definitely don't have one-size-fits-all finances. Some people might just need to put off buying a jetski, but it's a much bigger deal to most. And when you factor in that it will almost never be needed it's easy to imagine Joe Sixpack thinking that the money would be better spent on more fire-resistant materials, etc.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 369 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.