Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#260775 - 05/22/13 12:13 AM Re: Nearly 100 feared lost in tornado disaster [Re: Dagny]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Dagny

The most remarkable photos and videos I've yet seen are at this link:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...hool-Moore.html

My prayers go out to the victims. This makes my current life problems seem trivial.

#260776 - 05/22/13 12:24 AM Re: Nearly 100 feared lost in tornado disaster [Re: ireckon]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: ireckon

My prayers go out to the victims. This makes my current life problems seem trivial.

Same for me.

"Casualties will most likely be in the many hundreds to thousands." So far the death toll is 24, although that will probably climb as search efforts contine.

#260814 - 05/22/13 05:20 PM Re: Nearly 100 feared lost in tornado disaster [Re: adam2]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
This article really exasperates me. It mentions mostly the gawkers--and some "looters"--who have descended on the devastation in Moore. These folks drive in from distant places to take a look and spend an afternoon.

*sigh* But what can we expect from people who are groomed on theme parks, blockbuster Hollywood movies, Facebook, Instagram, spectacle and celebrity gossip 24/7? It really just makes me shake my head. Actually, the media's presence fuels a lot of it, too.

When I was living in Manhattan on 9/11, I felt no need to go down to Ground Zero to check out the damage. Among other things, it was too sad and macabre to lay eyes on that place, and people had a job to do down there and I didn't want to get in the way. Even on the road, I don't rubberneck at accident scenes. I just want to get through safely and past the accident.

#260837 - 05/22/13 10:35 PM Re: Nearly 100 feared lost in tornado disaster [Re: adam2]
RedGreen Offline
Stranger

Well this is absurd......

"Moore Mayor Glen Lewis said he will propose an ordinance in the next couple of days at the Moore City Council that would modify building codes to require the construction of reinforced shelters in every new home."

#260838 - 05/22/13 11:01 PM Re: Nearly 100 feared lost in tornado disaster [Re: RedGreen]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Originally Posted By: RedGreen
Well this is absurd......

"Moore Mayor Glen Lewis said he will propose an ordinance in the next couple of days at the Moore City Council that would modify building codes to require the construction of reinforced shelters in every new home."

I am afraid I don't follow you. Given their tornadic history, it seems fairly reasonable. I just listened this morning to a piece on NPR, a discussion with a research meteorologist, who opined that any single piece of real estate was likely to be struck by a tornado once in 4,000 years. Your odds are therefore pretty good. Despite these odds, this gentleman paid an extra $2000 to incorporate a reinforced concrete shelter into an addition to his residence.

If I were purchasing real estate in Tornado Alley, a good shelter would be a definite plus.

#260839 - 05/22/13 11:30 PM Re: Nearly 100 feared lost in tornado disaster [Re: adam2]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Would a concrete room integrated with a concrete foundation do the trick? If so, that seems easy enough. By the way, I heard basements weren't common in this town because the land is mostly rock, or whatever, and so it's difficult (expensive) to dig a hole that big without making the house too expensive.

#260841 - 05/22/13 11:39 PM Re: Nearly 100 feared lost in tornado disaster [Re: hikermor]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I just listened this morning to a piece on NPR, a discussion with a research meteorologist, who opined that any single piece of real estate was likely to be struck by a tornado once in 4,000 years.

Using those stats, if you live there for 30 years in one house, your house has a 30 in 4,000 chance of being struck by a Tornado. With those odds, I'd definitely spend some money on a reinforced room! Plus, home insurance would probably go down.

#260846 - 05/23/13 01:39 AM Re: Nearly 100 feared lost in tornado disaster [Re: hikermor]
RedGreen Offline
Stranger

it seems fairly reasonable

Choosing to install a storm shelter in ones private home is reasonable (and prudent).
Being forced to do so by a bureaucrat is absurd.

Edited by RedGreen (05/23/13 01:40 AM)

#260847 - 05/23/13 02:28 AM Re: Nearly 100 feared lost in tornado disaster [Re: RedGreen]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Building codes "force" us to do all sort of costly things,like anchoring walls to foundations in fairly precise ways, and all kinds of things in plumbing and electrical. I would regard construction of a safe room as a reasonable requirement in that particular neck of the woods.

Technically, the mayor is probably an elected official, not a bureaucrat. If the citizens don't care for his concepts, they can send him packing.......

#260858 - 05/23/13 05:13 AM Re: Nearly 100 feared lost in tornado disaster [Re: hikermor]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: ireckon
Would a concrete room integrated with a concrete foundation do the trick?

The rebar in the room walls needs to be tied carefully to the foundation metal, as well as the rebar in the ceiling. Wind forces and debris impacts are going to pull (tension) the shelter off the foundation otherwise.

Quote:
By the way, I heard basements weren't common in this town because the land is mostly rock, or whatever, and so it's difficult (expensive) to dig a hole that big without making the house too expensive.

I believe it's clay. But the bigger issue is that the water table is very high and so it's hard to get water out of the shelter.

It appears that about a quarter of the Moore victims *drowned* in a basement that flooded.

Quote:

With those odds, I'd definitely spend some money on a reinforced room! Plus, home insurance would probably go down.

That's easy to check - does anyone have a policy that offers a discount if there's a shelter?

Not everyone can afford to protect against every eventuality, and the alternative (apartment, etc) may be no safer.

I just listened this morning to a piece on NPR, a discussion with a research meteorologist, who opined that any single piece of real estate was likely to be struck by a tornado once in 4,000 years.

That's for any tornado. For one like this probably much longer than once in 10,00 years, maybe once in 50,000. A time scale that long exposes other risks!

Quote:

I would regard construction of a safe room as a reasonable requirement in that particular neck of the woods.

Homes there are not bubble-priced. You're looking at likely a 5% price increase, and more if ADA-compliance is needed or you want it big enough to stand up in. Much more if it's supposed to protect against an EF5 with debris impacts.

$5,000 is a lot of money for some people when it is very unlikely to ever make a difference.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.