The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#260713 - 05/21/13 08:58 AM Nearly 100 feared lost in tornado disaster
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Tornadoes are a fairly regular event in some places, but this one is said to be much worse than most, with 91 confirmed as dead, and fears for others.
News report
Very sad.

#260715 - 05/21/13 01:22 PM Re: Nearly 100 feared lost in tornado disaster [Re: adam2]
RedGreen Offline
Stranger

Shows the value of a simple shelter.
Yes odds of getting hit by one are slim, but still, I never understood why so many people in tornado prone areas just shrug their shoulders at the thought of installing one.

#260716 - 05/21/13 01:35 PM Re: Nearly 100 feared lost in tornado disaster [Re: RedGreen]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
As you said, the odds are slim. Even in this part of the nation where tornadoes are more common, the odds of being killed in a traffic accident are greater.

Jeanette Isabelle

#260717 - 05/21/13 02:17 PM Re: Nearly 100 feared lost in tornado disaster [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Later reports suggest a lower death toll than earlier suggested, though still significant and just as tragic for those affected.

#260719 - 05/21/13 03:08 PM Re: Nearly 100 feared lost in tornado disaster [Re: adam2]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Later reports suggest a lower death toll than earlier suggested, though still significant and just as tragic for those affected.

This is a major tragedy and the casualties it would appear are being downplayed especially when you consider whole neighborhoods are left with just with the outline of the concrete foundations of hundreds of individual homes. And this is just one neighborhood as the area of destruction of 30-40 square miles. Casualties will most likely be in the many hundreds to thousands.

#260721 - 05/21/13 03:16 PM Re: Nearly 100 feared lost in tornado disaster [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I am listening to a news report stating that the death toll has been lowered, although indeed it is expected to climb as rescue efforts continue. Oklahomans are pretty tough dudes...

#260722 - 05/21/13 04:17 PM Re: Nearly 100 feared lost in tornado disaster [Re: adam2]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Heartbreaking images and videos of the carnage.

This time of year severe thunderstorms are common and there is often little time to react from the time a tornado develops to when it hits. The Weather Channel just reported that with today's technology there is an average of 13 minutes to react. And I may start a thread on that subject - what can you do with 13 minutes?

The most remarkable photos and videos I've yet seen are at this link:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...hool-Moore.html

My thoughts and prayers are with the victims, their loved ones and everyone who has been worrying about friends and family in the affected area.

Looks like this will be another frightening day for millions in the paths of severe storms. God bless all.

#260725 - 05/21/13 04:37 PM Re: Nearly 100 feared lost in tornado disaster [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Quote:

This is a major tragedy and the casualties it would appear are being downplayed especially when you consider whole neighborhoods are left with just with the outline of the concrete foundations of hundreds of individual homes. And this is just one neighborhood as the area of destruction of 30-40 square miles. Casualties will most likely be in the many hundreds to thousands.

It seems to me that the real problem is from reporters and "talking heads" speculating about the death toll and then presenting their speculations as fact.
The authorities appear to be basing their numbers on actual recovered remains. Many are missing, unaccounted for and some are probably trapped. Some percentage of those will add to the death toll, but how many must be determined one by one as the search continues. There is a lot of territory and rubble to be searched.

#260747 - 05/21/13 08:27 PM Re: Nearly 100 feared lost in tornado disaster [Re: bws48]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: bws48
It seems to me that the real problem is from reporters and "talking heads" speculating about the death toll and then presenting their speculations as fact.

From what I heard, early annoucements by officials were too high because of double-counts of the same bodies by different responding agencies. Once the duplicates were sorted out, the official count was lowered this morning.

#260771 - 05/21/13 11:39 PM Re: Nearly 100 feared lost in tornado disaster [Re: RedGreen]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: RedGreen
Shows the value of a simple shelter.

A simple above-ground shelter won't do much good when a tornado uses telephone poles as javelins. I don't know if basement shelters are practical there. Basements are possible for my family in Kansas (maybe two hours north of OKC by car).

There's video from last year of a tornado tossing 18-wheeler trailers (big cargo trailers from highway tractor/trailer rigs) high in the air near Dallas/Fort Worth. It's not the wind that a shelter needs to deal with, it's what the wind carries along.

Quote:

Yes odds of getting hit by one are slim, but still, I never understood why so many people in tornado prone areas just shrug their shoulders at the thought of installing one.

From memory, the highest odds in the world are about one on the ground within 25 miles a given point, once per century.

It's a classic insurance problem: is it cheaper to accept infrequent losses or spend a lot on prevention?

The question is more complicated in Florida or the Gulf Coast, where an underground shelter is out of the question for hurricanes.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 389 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.