Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#260437 - 05/10/13 12:20 PM Dangerous critters
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
This little tidbit was in the news today:

PALMDALE, Calif. (AP) - Authorities in rural Los Angeles County were warning people to be on the lookout for four pit bulls suspected of killing a 63-year-old jogger Thursday, and they have seized several dogs in a search for those who may have taken part in the attack.

Sheriff's Lt. John Corina told reporters that a woman in a car saw the dogs attacking the female jogger Thursday morning. The witness called 911 and honked her horn to try to get the dogs to stop.

"When the first deputy on scene saw one dog still attacking the woman, he tried to chase the dog away," Corina said. "The dog ran off into the desert, then turned around and attacked the deputy, the deputy fired a round at the dog and tried to kill the dog, and the dog took off into the desert."

The woman died while she was in an ambulance on the way to a hospital near the high desert community of Littlerock, about 65 miles northeast of Los Angeles, said Evelina Villa, county animal control spokeswoman.

Read more: http://www.vcstar.com/news/2013/may/10/4-pit-bulls-blamed-for-calif-joggers-death/#ixzz2StHfV0Hi
- vcstar.com

While we talk constantly about the dangers posed by bares, lyons, and tiggers, some of the more dangerous animals are much closer and not confined to the deep woods. That includes the honey bee, a big killer, as well as Fido.

Edited by hikermor (05/10/13 12:21 PM)

#260441 - 05/10/13 03:42 PM Re: Dangerous critters [Re: hikermor]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
A climber and his dog were killed by bees in Tucson recently.

Google tucson bee death.

Nomad

#260443 - 05/10/13 04:53 PM Re: Dangerous critters [Re: hikermor]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: hikermor

While we talk constantly about the dangers posed by bares, lyons, and tiggers, some of the more dangerous animals are much closer and not confined to the deep woods. That includes the honey bee, a big killer, as well as Fido.

On my daily neighborhood walks, I've encountered a number of aggressive dogs---twice I've been charged. I was simply walking on the sidewalk. Neither of the 2 times I was charged resulted in any injury, to me or the dog.

I have been wondering about what would be the best defense/defence (take your choice grin).

I have been considering pepper spray or bear spray, but have never heard of it being used in such a way; would it work or just make them madder and more aggressive? Any thoughts on how we walkers should prep for confronting an attacking dog? Note, local law prohibits carry of a handgun, concealed or otherwise, so that option is out, at least for me in my area.

#260446 - 05/10/13 05:24 PM Re: Dangerous critters [Re: hikermor]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
bws48,

The walking stick was popular in England years ago specifically to deal with dogs (the 4 legged version in particular, not just the two legged ones :-). For a spray, use the ones optimized for dogs, the same ones the letter carriers use. Ask yours for recommendations.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#260447 - 05/10/13 05:40 PM Re: Dangerous critters [Re: Nomad]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Nomad
A climber and his dog were killed by bees in Tucson recently.

That hits close to home. When I was in Tucson, one of my regular climbing and SAR partners was allergic to bee stings. He always carried an epipen.

I never encountered swarming bees like those mentioned in the article when I was in the area. Is this an Africanized strain?

Typical news coverage. They talk about Mt Hopkins, but show a picture of Elephant's Head, where most technical routes in the Santa Rita's are concentrated. I don't know of any technical climbing on Mt Hopkins. Doesn't mean the routes aren't there, of course.

#260450 - 05/10/13 06:14 PM Re: Dangerous critters [Re: hikermor]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
I like dogs. Except for the ones who decide to bite me. My 27 stitch wound on my right calf resulted in one dead dog. He nailed me from the blind side, so I decided to play Judge Dredd.

I know several ways to take a dog down. If a dog should attack me and mean it, I would not hesitate to drop said dog.

#260452 - 05/10/13 06:40 PM Re: Dangerous critters [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
The only time I ever drew a pistol in public was for a dog charging my then four-year-old daughter. Fortunately, I didn't have to fire and there were no injuries.

#260464 - 05/10/13 10:44 PM Re: Dangerous critters [Re: JBMat]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: JBMat
I like dogs. Except for the ones who decide to bite me. My 27 stitch wound on my right calf resulted in one dead dog. He nailed me from the blind side, so I decided to play Judge Dredd.

I know several ways to take a dog down. If a dog should attack me and mean it, I would not hesitate to drop said dog.
Taking down one dog is very possible, but usually a single dog is less likely to attack unlike a pack. In this case there were four dogs and that's a much different problem. The deputy's shots did not take down the one that attacked him.

#260467 - 05/11/13 01:07 AM Re: Dangerous critters [Re: hikermor]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

If anyone is interested, there are some techniques for fighting a dog more effectively.

If you have the time and material, wrap your arm (left if you are right handed, and visa versa) with a jacket or something and force that toward the dog. They will usually take it. You have the other hand free to fight.

Get the dog's feet off of the ground. They have no leverage and will usually try to escape at that point. They will still bite, but you have more control this way. Dogs can't fight effectively without traction on the ground.

If there is more than one, and again, if you have time and opportunity, move to a position that will channelize them and make them come at you one at a time. Just like people, they will try to get on multiple sides and attack simultaneously, that is a bad thing for you.

Just a couple of practical tips from previous training and experience.

#260481 - 05/11/13 03:50 PM Re: Dangerous critters [Re: hikermor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I'm guessing that these techniques might work on coyotes too, Montanero. We've got 'em here and they've become increasingly daring the last couple of years. I arm myself with those noise machines known as kids to scare them away, and a walking stick just in case.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 287 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.