Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#260322 - 05/05/13 07:26 PM James Bond can't use a Computer!
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

James Bond can't use a Computer! Can't go into specifics, hush, hush, British Army military intelligence spooks and all that etc, but it got me wondering how important is the ability to use a computer to function in today's society let alone for communications use in an emergency. laugh laugh

#260324 - 05/05/13 09:42 PM Re: James Bond can't use a Computer! [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
I beg to differ. The latest Bond hacks M's password and uses the computer to find all sorts of stuff.

How important is it - not very in the long run. I mean if you can use a phone you can order stuff, or actually - horror of horrors, go out shopping. You can buy maps. The library is there for research, altho it may be dated.

I carry a stupid phone. It makes calls, and odd people I don't know text me and in return get rude texts in return, the only time I text. No camera, no internet, no high speed this or that. It makes calls.

Do computers make things easier, yes. Could I live without it, probably.

#260325 - 05/05/13 09:46 PM Re: James Bond can't use a Computer! [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
AFLM... our high school piloted a learning community (health and human services) for our district... I taught the 9th grade science component for it, and had many opportunities to talk with business partners in our local area... keyboarding skills was a highly sought after requirement for employment...when I first started teaching, the Apple platform was in use across the district, at all levels...the business department had a small lab of PCs.... by my retirement, we had two large computer labs, 50/50 Apple and PC.... as well as a 5 or 6 class sized Apple notebook portable computer carts I could check out for class use...

my county has a Senior Project requirement for graduation... it combines a research paper on an approved topic... mentorship by a member of the community that has expertise in the subject area.... with a 5 minute Power Point or other audio visual presentation to an evaluation board... followed by a question and answer session by the board...

Edited by LesSnyder (05/05/13 09:48 PM)

#260326 - 05/05/13 09:58 PM Re: James Bond can't use a Computer! [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
To function in society? A few years back I did everything with a dumb phone sitting on a desk with a line running to the wall. Has society progressed so much that a handheld computer is now required to function? You don't need a phone at all, it's a convenience that some folks seem unable to do without, but I occasionally leave home without my iPhone and there have been no issues.

Then again, maybe I'm an anomaly; I use cash rather than Starbuck's barcode app. I don't text and folks who send text messages to me get nothing in return. I do use the phone to preview emails and send notes to myself, but it's nothing I couldn't do with paper and pencil. Occasionally I will also send myself mp3 files and listen to them when I have nothing else to do, but is that a requirement to function in society? No, it's not.

#260328 - 05/05/13 10:20 PM Re: James Bond can't use a Computer! [Re: JBMat]
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

I beg to differ. The latest Bond hacks M's password and uses the computer to find all sorts of stuff.

Ok, perhaps maybe James Bond was too fictitious as the fellow I had to deal with was more of a Colonel Ross type. (less well known in the US) wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWnrfwiT-bY

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/l...ter-skills.html

#260329 - 05/05/13 10:57 PM Re: James Bond can't use a Computer! [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
To function in society?

In the UK the British Government has gone Internet/Paperless Mad in its attempt to save operating costs.

Unemployed people will soon have to apply for their Benefit entitlements using a Government Internet website and to continue receiving their benefit payments must submit their employment search records online as well. Payments will be paid directly into a bank account. Many people may not have either a Bank Account or an Internet Connection.

The Inland Revenue (Mr Tax man) have recently made it almost impossible to submit a paper Personal/Company Tax Return and Company accounts. Now a one size fits all online return in a Inland Revenue format, which in many circumstances does not work is now required.

The Banking sector has been closing most its local branches forcing people to use Internet Banking services or have a very long round trip to the nearest bank branch, which also in many circumstances does not work with bank to bank transactions due to cuts in its IT and back office departments.

Internet shopping has left the City Centre shopping areas through out the land almost desolate, leaving only charity shops, Pawn Shops, Pay day lender shops, Coffee dens, the last of the Bank Branches and Globalist Fast food restaurants

Not having an Internet Connection could pose a serious issue in the ability to function within society especially in the UK. For those that do have an Internet connection, the stress of having to deal with what is essentially corporate organisation back office web based IT systems could prove very frustrating especailly if you can't even use a computer keyboard.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (05/05/13 11:21 PM)

#260331 - 05/06/13 12:11 AM Re: James Bond can't use a Computer! [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I know exactly one person who can't receive or send text messages. While I know people who don't have smartphones, they are a small minority. Everyone I know has email and web access at home.

#260336 - 05/06/13 08:59 AM Re: James Bond can't use a Computer! [Re: Russ]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Me too. Everyone around me have gone e-mad.

Quote:
use cash rather than Starbuck's barcode app. I don't text and folks who send text messages to me get nothing in return. I do use the phone to preview emails and send notes to myself, but it's nothing I couldn't do with paper and pencil.

Like Russ , except I don't do e-mails on phone, and I do keep a pen and paper in my front pocket !!

A few relatives joke about me, but I reply that in 2006 ( we had a stock market crash that year) I had absolutely NO money and lost nothing in stocks. So, I was the most relaxed guy in the area!!

#260340 - 05/06/13 02:11 PM Re: James Bond can't use a Computer! [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I am slowly recognizing that, no matter where we stand as individuals on the continuum of electronic adeptness, we are beginning a revolution in knowledge accessibility. The data available to each of us through our devices is staggering, and the amount will only increase through time.

My wife just completed a research paper,using foreign archives (much help with Google translator), all without leaving our study. About twenty year ago, extensive, and expensive, travel would have been required. Now costs are negligible.

We correspond regularly with distant foreign family members. I can quickly summon a copy of a USGS topo map I wish to examine, and download it. Examples go on and on. Just look at the interchange on this forum, and many others.

What will tomorrow bring??

#260341 - 05/06/13 02:32 PM Re: James Bond can't use a Computer! [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
If you are using a phone, it's just an interface for one or more computers somewhere. So, sorry old school guys, you're technically using a computer if you use any phone nowadays. Now, you might be able to construct a valid argument with ham radio. I'd like to see some hard head get by with a ham radio and no use of any phone or any computer.

My current job is impossible to do without a computer. Also, any dream job of mine requires a computer. The killer is what somebody said above about the Tax Man requiring a computer. That really ends any argument right there. Either you need to know how to use a computer, or you must pay somebody who knows.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.