The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#257317 - 03/08/13 04:42 PM Re: A spoon [Re: TeacherRO]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
This will be my second forum today and second forum expounding my love for the long handled spoon. In my mind the MRE spoon is only second to the Army Poncho Liner in perfect military execution of a product.

Aside from my hands, the long handled spoon is my preferred weapon of choice in eating.

The handle is long enough to fit in a shirt pen pocket and not fall out. It is also the perfect extension of your arm to snake a bite of food from your buddy plate or pouch. The bowl, wide enough to hold a decent bite of food but narrow enough to get in your mouth before your pilfered provision is smacked out your hand by a disgruntled owner.

I have several, and I mean several, civilian spoons that mimic the MRE spoon. The titanium, the lexan, the aircraft aluminum. The stainless steel. The list goes on I suppose. I like the steel and titanium versions best simply because they don't have any texture to the bowl, just a very slick and mostly shiny surface.

I used to have a bunch of those plastic neon sporks but they break easily in cold weather. And depending on the container, they are not long enough to reach the bottom of a pouch and you end up with food on your hand scooping the bottom.

A spork is fun to pull out for laughs but when it comes down to serious eating, my Top 3 utensils in order: Hands, Long handle spoon. Stick.

#257319 - 03/08/13 05:02 PM Re: A spoon [Re: comms]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Never heard of an MRE spoon, but it sounds good. Do you have a link?

The longest Ti spoon I've seen is the Sea To Summit Long Titanium Spoon. I have an earlier one marked "Ti WARE" from REI, but the went to aircraft-grade 7075-T6 aluminum alloy, which is lighter, but not Ti.

#257321 - 03/08/13 05:42 PM Re: A spoon [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I like the spoons that come in bathe Canadian MREs, I just wish they had a bigger bowl.

I like my titanium spork, but prefer using a regular fork and spoon so my spork usually gets relegated to just in case duty.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#257322 - 03/08/13 05:49 PM Re: A spoon [Re: comms]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
In my mind the MRE spoon is only second to the Army Poncho Liner in perfect military execution of a product.

I've heard that the MRE spoon will begin to soften and bend when stirring your tea made with boiling water.. frown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4m7pbv9shA @2:15

#257334 - 03/08/13 11:31 PM Re: A spoon [Re: TeacherRO]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Just as an aside. Open the MRE the long way, not across the top. It's much easier to get to the food, the pouch opens wider, and you don't struggle so much.

And the MRE spoon is 3d, after the poncho liner and the P38.

#257337 - 03/09/13 01:46 AM Re: A spoon [Re: Chisel]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Chisel
+1

We sometimes have breakfast outside. Those restaurants have plastic forks, knives, and spoons. I usually take the extra ones and scatter them in my kits and bags. In addition, I have bought a dozen normal cheap spoons , and scatter them around. They are medium size , not the full size. They do the job OK for tea/coffe, or cup-a-soup type of food.

Check out your local second-hand stores. They often have real stainless steel utensils for super cheap.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#257339 - 03/09/13 02:26 AM Re: A spoon [Re: TeacherRO]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
I have been carrying a large stainless steel spoon for over 50 years. Sort of large soup spoon size. Doubles as cat hole shovel, holder of very small parts during field repairs, ice scraper and other assorted tasks. Very useful item.

Nomad.

#257393 - 03/10/13 01:04 AM Re: A spoon [Re: JBMat]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Originally Posted By: JBMat

And the MRE spoon is 3d, after the poncho liner and the P38.

Touche

Russ, while in service the MRE spoon is great. The Ti spoons that are long handled are almost identical.

#257394 - 03/10/13 01:35 AM Re: A spoon [Re: comms]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My favorite surplus items would be the Mountain cookset and bearpaw snowshoes,although modern snowshoes are now far superior.

#257439 - 03/10/13 10:33 PM Re: A spoon [Re: TeacherRO]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Normally I am not in a situation to need a spoon or other eating utensils. A year ago November, my family went to a themed restaurant/show where eating utensils are not optional.

When dinner was served, I had a problem. The only thing I had were the tweezers from my Ultralight / Watertight .3 first aid kit. That miserable night I had to eat dinner with tweezers. When we arrived home, the tweezers went into the dishwasher.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (NAro), 170 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.