Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#260211 - 05/02/13 07:36 PM Re: Survival Summary [Re: gigaJack]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Howdy gigajack. You qouted me twice in your post. First, my brother would indeed take what you have. Your marked maps would lead him right to it. He doesn't have my sweet live and let live nature.
Second, if I remember your site correctly, and I do apologize if I'm wrong about this, you have a quarter acre? Why so much stock on such a tiny place? And the work really can't be that hard. Come to my ranch and see do what we do for one week and you'll see the difference in a working ranch. As I said, your condition was all assumption on my part. Office work is not conducive to physical fitness. There are rappelling systems out there that are goof proof and would store neatly in a drawer. As for your choice in personal carry arms, the .380 makes sense, but why a short barrled 9mm? I have used the 9mm and after the third failure I went back to my .45. Just asking, don't want to startr a huge debate about guns. You carry it and I ask why is all.
As for videos, I've considered making them but not until I retire for good at 53 or 55. I don't need to be recognized while working.
Thanks for your time.

#260219 - 05/02/13 09:33 PM Re: Survival Summary [Re: JBMat]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: JBMat
If you reckon a bare minimal subsistence is living, then yes, the homeless have skills. I would argue this, saying that they basically leech off of what they can find, beg, or steal. Those aren't skills.

Skill is taking some logs, some rope, some knowledge, and making shelter. Skill is starting a fire without matches or a lighter. Skill is knowing where and how to find food - sans a dumpster in back of a fast food place. Skill is knowing how to stay warm, clean, and relatively safe no matter the weather.

Take away society as we know it, then the homeless are more than likely to be SOL than the average Joe.

Well, you kind of took one example I gave and ran with it. Anyway, it doesn't really matter.

We're working with a different definition for "skill." A skill in a survival situation is any ability to do any task that promotes survival. Like war, a survival situation is not always (actually is never) pretty, and some things that are necessary are not comfortable to discuss. Now, if you want to be known for high morals, then the conversation is more focused to a certain set of skills.

#260221 - 05/02/13 09:46 PM Re: Survival Summary [Re: ireckon]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

True, Ireckon.
Recently I ducked between four of them during a trip to the big city. They followed me at least a hundred meters to subway, then inside, and one grabbed my hand and tried to hug me, another touched me in the center of my back. Pokey asked for money, then asked me to buy him food. Controlling my reactions I did no harm to them but one infected me with a really bad case of the flu with that hand grab or breathing on me. What can you do? they're everywhere and you can't really do anything to them for touching. But now they're following and worse, touching. They are also becoming far more aggressive. Doe's this mean that they are evolving?

#260223 - 05/02/13 10:20 PM Re: Survival Summary [Re: GoatMan]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I do not allow the homeless to approach me that closely. If they start following me I will react defensively, by either confronting them verbally or evading. Unwanted touching may be a criminal act depending on your jurisdiction.

#260227 - 05/02/13 10:48 PM Re: Survival Summary [Re: chaosmagnet]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

You can't touch them here. And one killed someone who refused to give them money a few years back. I aske the mayors office and they said nothing could be done and not to touch them. My attorney said much the same. And i'd be afraid they'd bleed on me. The flu was bad and I immediately applied sanitizer. I'm a bit of a germophobe so I always have it on me. I was blasting an MP3 and texting, and not paying attention so it's my fault for letting my vigilence down. I carry plastic so I won't be lying when I say I don't have cash on me. This makes some more aggressive, despite my size. Locally they are getting bad, waiting by ATMs and Red Box. I'll have to check with the officials in my nearest city about the touching rule. Thanks for the tip Chaos.

#260230 - 05/02/13 11:32 PM Re: Survival Summary [Re: GoatMan]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
In a more recent case, a homeless bum set an elderly man on fire for not giving the bum money.
http://blurbrain.com/homeless-bum-sets-elderly-man-on-fire/

Anyway, I guess what I'm getting at is the classic difference between book smarts and street smarts. Here's one example, people with money (PWM) will try to figure out how to kill a bear with their equipment. A person with street smarts will just run faster than their companions. In that example, I think the street smarts trump the book smarts for survival purposes.

I admit I have more book smarts than street smarts. I enjoy picking up street smarts here and there, but the mental link to the "street knowledge" is not as direct as other folks who basically live in the streets or live in the woods.

#260233 - 05/03/13 12:27 AM Re: Survival Summary [Re: ireckon]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

LOL. You forgot to mention that they are becoming feral. Like the cats I feed at an apartment I keep. I held down a bag of bird feed for the white one to smell and it snapped into it without even smelling it. They eat birdfeed btw. Whatever the wind blows out of the feeders they scarf up. I'm afraid to go barefoot there.

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.