Topic Options
#259767 - 04/23/13 01:11 PM Re: Survival Summary [Re: bacpacjac]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Well, emergency heat seems like a good thing to have --Especially in Minnesota

I agree, Teacher. We're not as far North, but emergency heat is the thorn in my side. It's the one part of our preps that I always feel is lacking. We've got lots of extra clothes and blankets, chemical hand/body warmers, hot water bottles, etc... but I just don't think I'm going to feel security until we have an off-the-grid whole room/house solution like a wood or pellet stove.

A big concern for us too in Minnesota. I help my brother cut, split, haul, and stack firewood for his outside furnace. It is really a lot of work! If you don't have a woodlot, that fuel is just as expensive and hard to get in an emergency as any other fuel, and your home insurance rates will go up if you have an indoor wood burning furnace..

For our house, we have city gas. Obviously, that could be interrupted at any time for a variety of reasons. For short term backup, we rely on portable electric heaters. If power goes down too, we have kerosene heaters and enough fuel for a few days. We also use propane catalytic heaters as backup. Not a lot of comfort, but placed in the basement, it keeps the pipes from freezing.

Long term plan is to install a couple of wall mounted propane space heaters with outside venting and a couple of 100 gal tanks at the ready.

#259771 - 04/23/13 02:30 PM Re: Survival Summary [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Killing mosquitoes is nor a sport or inhumane action. Killing mosquitoes is an act of self defense since they are transmission carriers of Malaria, West Nile Virus, and I don't know what else.

I am also in the group that kills to defend or eat, and that includes fish. Like the man said earlier, there is no thrill in killing for "sport" after hunting and dealing with 2 legged animals that shoot back.

#259773 - 04/23/13 02:59 PM Re: Survival Summary [Re: gigaJack]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Originally Posted By: gigaJack
Greetings Folks,

Nice of you to drop by,like seeing your Dog.

I still think you are overestimating your survival as you need to accept there are ALWAYS bigger Dogs than you,and a sniper in end of world scenario is a huge huge threat. Cant just go outside and not expect danger will be lurking everywhere,thats my opinion on subject.

Also note I said you are way ahead of herd and you are.

Congrats on Pantry and having wife on board,, again IMO thats a viable possible threat and I agree with LDS on their philosophy in that regard.

Just dont overestimate yourself.The survivor will be lone wolf or compounds with lots of members IMO,FWIW.

Like the survivor TV program,every time someone thinks they are THE man,taken out they are,just if for no other reason than 'they can'

Good luck going forward,lets hope the scenario never presents itself,IMO odds are it wont,not mad max anyhow.

#259802 - 04/23/13 11:36 PM Re: Survival Summary [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr

Long term plan is to install a couple of wall mounted propane space heaters with outside venting and a couple of 100 gal tanks at the ready.

My brother, retired in Bemidji from the Houston heat, has a nice country place with a large fireplace and lots of wood nearby. I am always impressed by his large honkin' propane gas tank, filled up once a year in the late summer.

#259811 - 04/24/13 02:34 AM Re: Survival Summary [Re: hikermor]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr

My brother, retired in Bemidji from the Houston heat, has a nice country place with a large fireplace and lots of wood nearby. I am always impressed by his large honkin' propane gas tank, filled up once a year in the late summer.

I had a 500 gallon tank when I lived in Duluth. The nice thing is, the price of propane fluctuates, and you can buy it when its cheap. If you own the tank (many are owned by the gas co.) you can dump your supplier and find a cheaper one if you want to. One tank usually lasted me all winter.

Besides, if you believe the scientific theory presented in the movie "Day After Tomorrow" it doesn't matter anyway. All of us north of the Mason-Dixon line are doomed to an instant frosty death when the climate changes.

Might as well party on until Jack Frost takes us down!

#259816 - 04/24/13 03:45 AM Re: Survival Summary [Re: bacpacjac]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
but I had to laugh at all those guns (11 ...

Actually, I'd be crying for the poor guy if he only has eleven, not laughing at him. cry

Quote:
I know hardly any of them, but know you can use a shotgun, rifle, bow, crossbow. No idea about auto or semi-auto, etc...

Well, at least you recognize there is a difference between "auto" and "semi-auto", unlike the majority of politicians and new organizations (actually, they know, they just pretend they don't). Not that you'd have a snowballs chance in h*** of getting an auto anyway...

#259823 - 04/24/13 03:48 PM Re: Survival Summary [Re: haertig]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: haertig
but I had to laugh at all those guns (11 ...

Actually, I'd be crying for the poor guy if he only has eleven. . . .

Contrary to the persona I use, whose weapons of choice are the Heckler & Koch VP70 and MP5K, I have zero guns. Would you be crying over me?

I do not believe I would be allowed a firearm due to my psychiatric history; even if I were, I am unable to afford a weapon and training at this time.

Jeanette Isabelle

#259831 - 04/24/13 05:40 PM Re: Survival Summary [Re: haertig]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
[quote=bacpacjac]but I had to laugh at all those guns (11 ...

Actually, I'd be crying for the poor guy if he only has eleven, not laughing at him. cry
[\quote]

And I thought it was the Coglahns survival tin that was worth crying over. YMMV!

Quote:
I know hardly any of them, but know you can use a shotgun, rifle, bow, crossbow. No idea about auto or semi-auto, etc...

Well, at least you recognize there is a difference between "auto" and "semi-auto"

We're thinking a 22/410 would be a good start. It's one of the guns my hubby learned on and, from the little I know of it, seems like it would be perfect for us. We've got an extremely tight budget so we're not likely to turn into a multiple gun owning family, at least for a while, so the 22/410 combo seems like a good compromise - a rifle and shotgun in one. We want something for food procurement (small game primarily) and perhaps a little defense, and this seems like something we could all use. (Well, not the baby, she's not going anywhere near it until she's old enough. In my mind, that's around ten but dependant on each kiddo's personality and maturity.)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#259832 - 04/24/13 05:56 PM Re: Survival Summary [Re: bacpacjac]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
[quote=bacpacjac]but I had to laugh at all those guns (11 ...

[\quote]

And I thought it was the Coglahns survival tin that was worth crying over. YMMV!

Quote:

Well, at least you recognize there is a difference between "auto" and "semi-auto"

We're thinking a 22/410 would be a good start. It's one of the guns my hubby learned on and, from the little I know of it, seems like it would be perfect for us. We've got an extremely tight budget so we're not likely to turn into a multiple gun owning family, at least for a while, so the 22/410 combo seems like a good compromise - a rifle and shotgun in one. We want something for food procurement (small game primarily) and perhaps a little defense, and this seems like something we could all use. (Well, not the baby, she's not going anywhere near it until she's old enough. In my mind, that's around ten but dependant on each kiddo's personality and maturity.)

I would go with a .22 only. You learn all the basics of good marksmanship, ammo cheap(er), plus (IMO) I was never impressed with the utility of a 410 (YMMV). Plus, you might find .22 rifles cheaper (new or used); also, a friend or relative might have one in the closet they are willing to part with. At least in the eastern US (and I assume eastern Canada) you can take lots of small game with a .22 (as long as you know how to shoot, and that is a skill you want to learn/teach).

#259833 - 04/24/13 06:06 PM Re: Survival Summary [Re: GoatMan]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Rifle/shotgun combo's are on the radar for banning,see californias new laws they are pushing through,as I type.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 294 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.