Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#259072 - 04/13/13 11:13 PM Re: Survival Summary [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
Now I can't really hunt anymore. You hunt game that shoots back and an innocent deer or bunny my sights feels like murder. I'm sure that would change in a survival situation however.

I think the same might be true for me. Won't know until I try. Target shooting will have to suffice if it turns out that way. If I do kill something, though, I'm going to eat it and use it however I can. Shooting animals strictly for sport just isn't never going to be in the cards for me.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#259075 - 04/14/13 02:30 AM Re: Survival Summary [Re: bacpacjac]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac

LOL! I'm not anti-gun, Snake. In fact, I expect to own one within a few years. (We're debating shotgun or rifle right now.) This just reminded of a recent ETS discussion and the Coglahns can. If there's anything in there that's really needed, personally, I'd sacrifice a little of that fire power to get a good one of whatever it is.

That was somewhat my point too. He has several handguns listed but less than a box of ammo for some of them. If your not going to feed them then sell them to someone that would. You have to use the tools to be proficient.

I grew up with rifles hanging on the rack that we sighted in the day before deer season. I still have the half a box of .22 hornet from then its probably 25 years old. I haven't shot that little youth rifle in probably 10 years. But I haven't been able to coordinate my schedule with my wife and kids schedule to go hunting.

I bought my first pistol this year and setup some targets twice and burned through 150 rounds each time. I wanted to make sure I'm comfortable, familiar and competent with it. So when I see his listing of 24 rounds thats way too low to me.

I just dipped under 300 rounds for my handgun so I'm going to see if I can get a couple more from the one store that has been able to keep some in stock as we have another farm trip the end of the month so that give me an opportunity to practice some more. I don't need that much but if I make a couple trips and can't restock in between I want to have some extra to carry me over. As I get more proficient I'll not shoot as much then but just like any skill or exercising you have to do it regularly. So I plan to budget myself and plan x number of 'range' trips per year, just like I do x number of camping trips. Set goals and adjust the goals based on the outcome.

#259078 - 04/14/13 03:11 AM Re: Survival Summary [Re: GoatMan]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Maybe I didn't read his list closely enough, but I noticed that some of the guns are for his EDC -- it seems that he carries two guns, plus magazines for them. So is that responsible for the low round count?

I think this gun stuff is just more fun to talk and and list. It also reflects anxieties and fears. But I don't know how important they will actually be when SHTF. Alright, maybe guns one through three reflect vigilance, but, come on, four through eleven -- that's just for the heck of it.

I'm also uncertain about the application of some of the guns. It seems that he lists the .22 pistol because it helped his wife pass the CCW test, though she doesn't carry it since the caliber is insufficient for defense. I'm guessing that they're not planning to hunt with the .22 pistol. So I'm not sure why that's listed. I also wouldn't want to shoot a pistol grip-only pump action shotgun, because that's harder to control, but maybe I'm just a wuss.

#259082 - 04/14/13 08:10 AM Re: Survival Summary [Re: GoatMan]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

My comment here is about someone mentioning "overweight" or "obese" . I am obese myself , and do in fact think alot about preparedness and obesity.

My comment is specifically focused on obese preppers , which don't seem to be few. If you watch You Tube, you'll see what I mean. Without mentioning names, just see Doomsday Preppers and you'll see amazing shapes. Also, In one of the SAN ( Dave Canterburry ) episodes of prepper videos , you can see would-be preppers who can barely walk !!!

Please no one should be offended.
I am obese myself.

#259086 - 04/14/13 10:34 AM Re: Survival Summary [Re: Eugene]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I wonder if, maybe, we're being too harsh on this guy.

When I think back to the beginning of my awakening as a prepper, when I really started actively preparing for the worst, my idea of the worst expanded rapidly. I suddenly found myself thinking about events that I had never considered before, that other people thought they needed to prepare for.

That eye opening swung the pendulum far to the other side for me. It was almost overwhelming. It hit me shortly after I became a mother for the first time so mixed with maternal instincts for a pretty wicked punch. I grew up with a preparedness mentality but without any sense of urgency about it. As my mind became aware of it all, that sense of urgency flourished. My lists were just as comprehensive as this guy's, (minus the guns and ammo. They were there, and still are, but they're on the future list not the active duty list) and probably contained just as many (or more) WTF?! details. I tried to plan out every little detail I could think of and plan for any eventuality. I too might have gone into such detail as to include a survival tin or the exact number of bullets.

Over time, I started figuring out what is truly likely in the time and location I find myself. I'm still learning what preparedness for that should really look like. It's an evolving process. I've gone from over-equipping and over-analyzing, to a slightly more minimalist approach, and back to the middle again. With a new baby in the house, I find myself really fighting not to let that pendulum swing back to "Holy S***!" again.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#259087 - 04/14/13 11:04 AM Re: Survival Summary [Re: GoatMan]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Has anyone considered that the blogger may be having fun at our expense? As in, it's a fake blog and he gets his jollies reading what others post about "him"?

#259090 - 04/14/13 01:14 PM Re: Survival Summary [Re: bacpacjac]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
No offense to anyone (I'm not anti-gun or anti-Coglahns) but I had to laugh at all those guns (11 plus a crossbow) ...and... Coglahns Survival kit in a can.

Eleven guns is not all that many. smile

The survival kits in cans don't do all that much for me. I think they are mostly a gimmick.

Bob

#259098 - 04/14/13 06:42 PM Re: Survival Summary [Re: ILBob]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: ILBob
No offense to anyone (I'm not anti-gun or anti-Coglahns) but I had to laugh at all those guns (11 plus a crossbow) ...and... Coglahns Survival kit in a can.

Eleven guns is not all that many. smile

The survival kits in cans don't do all that much for me. I think they are mostly a gimmick.

Eleven may not be that many. It seems strange that he does not have significant experience and practice with those guns. That certainly is a bad thing and that attitude leaves trails through the list. He knows a lot of ways to start a fire but mastered none - a person who can only light a fire with a BIC is better off. Thinking that watching a video lifts his skill level in knife fighting to beginner is a bad joke.
My overall impression was that the guy is long on gear but short on skills. That looks like a dangerous combination to me.

#259118 - 04/15/13 02:57 AM Re: Survival Summary [Re: bacpacjac]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

I agree Jac. I've never liked people who kill for sport. If you kill it, eat it.

#259120 - 04/15/13 03:15 AM Re: Survival Summary [Re: Chisel]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Bite's my tongue at Bingleys comment.
I meant no offense chisel. But if you're really worried about he end of the world, you must learn to ration. At 200 pounds I'm betting he eats regularly and large portions. Plus snaacks, beer, soda etc. Maybe he smokes. This is all assumption on my part. I recently turned 51. I'm 6'4 205 pounds. I eat twice a day when working, or sometimes once, which is what I do at home. I have a 6 pack and the freakish strength and speed nature blessed me with I maintain through hard training. Plus the ranch work helps. Is my routine for everyone? Not at all. My 30 year old son can't keep up with mith me and I can out run my 29 year old daughter. If I have offended you, then I apologize. But I do, in all honesty, suggest you and anyone else that is out of shape and concerned with survival, start some kind of program. Test yourself. Take your bug out gear for a tenty block brisk walk, climb a mild mountain or large hill then listen to your body. It'll tell you far better than I can that you need to be able to survive. I've only seen the preppers on Stevee Harvey, and only because I couldn't locate the remote. Those guys are so rich they can afford to eat. And they have live in thier retreats. No reason fotr them to be fit.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 287 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.