Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#260163 - 05/01/13 03:01 PM Re: Bad math: one is not none [Re: chaosmagnet]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I have usually seen the "one is none" routine applied to guns and knives, where it is just plain silly, seemingly an excuse to sell one more firearm and one more blade.

I don't entirely agree. A knife is so critical a piece of gear that having a spare blade (like on a multi) just makes sense to me. As far as guns are concerned, I never carry more than one unless its a class, practice or competition that calls for more than one, but I imagine combat is a different story.
Just saw a fella leave the range when his AR firing pin broke,supposed to be a very rare occurance.....

#260168 - 05/01/13 04:24 PM Re: Bad math: one is not none [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I carry some spares for my AR including a firing pin, but so far my rifle hasn't had any of those issues.

#260186 - 05/02/13 04:29 AM Re: Bad math: one is not none [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I agree that "2-is-1, 1-is-none" falls flat as a truism, and can sometimes overstate things. Really, do you need to have two bandanas to be sure to have one? Now in the case of fire I can see the need for redundancy.

There are probably places or situations where a second firearm would be a high priority. Yet I would rarely have a 2nd one along. Perhaps if I had a chance to go on a once-in-a-lifetime hunt I'd have a spare rifle along. I do have a CCW permit, and I do carry a sidearm concealed where I can, but I never have a BUG. Considering that many police don't carry a second gun, I probably don't need to. I do carry at least one spare magazine, though.

Any gun can break but when I'm carrying an HK I feel my heart is more likely to fail than my sidearm!

#260203 - 05/02/13 03:26 PM Re: Bad math: one is not none [Re: TeacherRO]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
I've never liked the phrase, I think this pretty much nails why:

Originally Posted By: ireckon
The beginning part of the phrase is too much hyperbole, specifically, "one is none." If that's true, what is "none?" For example, if I have one good fire starter in my bag, is that practically the same as having zero good fire starters in my bag? No, that's ridiculous. The comparison is not even close.

I also find this to be true:

I have usually seen the "one is none" routine applied to guns and knives, where it is just plain silly, seemingly an excuse to sell one more firearm and one more blade.

While having a backup blade is fine (and I do!), I've come to the realization that the probability of needing it is extremely low. You have to compound the probability of being in a true survival situation with the probability of either losing or breaking your primary knife (the latter being near impossible with many quality fixed blades now a days). This is the math that is important and, I have a feeling if one was to crunch the numbers, the probability of that backup blade being critical to survival has got to be getting close to lottery winning odds.

So, while I have no issue with having a backup blade, I can't buy into the idea that to not have one is some disastrous failure of planning.

#260205 - 05/02/13 06:16 PM Re: Bad math: one is not none [Re: TeacherRO]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
so let us change the saying ---

Back up the 10 essentials.

ta dah.

#260248 - 05/03/13 05:36 PM Re: Bad math: one is not none [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A much better idea. Or carry extras.

#260253 - 05/03/13 09:02 PM Re: Bad math: one is not none [Re: Denis]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Originally Posted By: Denis
I've never liked the phrase, I think this pretty much nails why:

Originally Posted By: ireckon
The beginning part of the phrase is too much hyperbole, specifically, "one is none." If that's true, what is "none?" For example, if I have one good fire starter in my bag, is that practically the same as having zero good fire starters in my bag? No, that's ridiculous. The comparison is not even close.

I also find this to be true:

While having a backup blade is fine (and I do!), I've come to the realization that the probability of needing it is extremely low. You have to compound the probability of being in a true survival situation with the probability of either losing or breaking your primary knife (the latter being near impossible with many quality fixed blades now a days). This is the math that is important and, I have a feeling if one was to crunch the numbers, the probability of that backup blade being critical to survival has got to be getting close to lottery winning odds.

So, while I have no issue with having a backup blade, I can't buy into the idea that to not have one is some disastrous failure of planning.

The other thing is that chances are if it does break, it still may be at least partially usable.

Bob

#260367 - 05/08/13 02:45 AM Re: Bad math: one is not none [Re: TeacherRO]
duckear Offline
Addict

Is your next thread going to instruct us that the sun doesn't actually rise, but, in fact, the earth rotates?

#260370 - 05/08/13 03:22 AM Re: Bad math: one is not none [Re: duckear]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Is your next thread going to instruct us that the sun doesn't actually rise, but, in fact, the earth rotates?

Numberwang!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r6NY4Kl8Ms

That's probably a question for Bertrand Russell depending on your point of view! wink

#260907 - 05/25/13 02:36 AM Re: Bad math: one is not none [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

"One is none, two is one"

Yet I never see the instructors who advocate this saying with two backpacks or two sleeping bags...

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 287 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.