The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#260076 - 04/29/13 10:45 PM Volunteers needed to aid scientific study by NRA
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
“Volunteers needed to aid in a scientific study conducted by the NRA. This study will need soil and paint samples from various sources at the top of peaks within the wilderness throughout Southern California (in the Los Padres National Forest of Santa Barbara, Los Angeles and Ventura counties) and in Central California near Big Sur and Carmel (in Monterey County). Volunteers must be able to partake in a strenuous hike, between 8 and 12 miles round trip with as much elevation gain as 3000’, while carrying a backpack to hold scientific equipment and sample containers (no more than 30-40lbs). These sites may require the use of ATV’s in order to reach them. Volunteers must have meticulous record keeping abilities as well as a familiarity with GPS and camera devices. Detailed sampling protocols, as well as directions and equipment, will be supplied to volunteers after interest in this study is shown. Volunteers will be coordinating closely with scientists from the NRA as they sample and hike to these sites in order to ensure accuracy of sampling, as well as aiding the volunteer with any questions or directions they may need in order to locate the sites and comply with the scientific protocol. Thank you very much for your interest, and aid in helping this important scientific study.”

more info

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=751136

#260077 - 04/29/13 11:17 PM Re: Volunteers needed to aid scientific study by NRA [Re: clearwater]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Thanks for the tip. Since this is right in my backyard, I threw my hat in the ring. Sounds interesting.

#260081 - 04/30/13 01:17 AM Re: Volunteers needed to aid scientific study by NRA [Re: clearwater]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Soil and paint samples, at elevation? How much paint is there at the top of SoCal peaks? What's this study about?

#260084 - 04/30/13 01:51 AM Re: Volunteers needed to aid scientific study by NRA [Re: Lono]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

A fair amount, in some cases - fire lookout towers, present and past. Most of these would have been erected early in the 20th century, and of course they were painted. I doubt anyone specified lead free paint, if they even knew of suvh a thing.

The fire tower in which I worked the summer of 1957 was mostly steel, but there were painted elements within the cabin. The typical lookout was a frame structure about twenty feet square, sometimes with ancillary buildings.

#260086 - 04/30/13 02:40 AM Re: Volunteers needed to aid scientific study by NRA [Re: clearwater]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
What does NRA need soil and paint samples for?

#260088 - 04/30/13 02:44 AM Re: Volunteers needed to aid scientific study by NRA [Re: clearwater]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Fun!

Thought exercise: You're going to be hauling 40 pounds of scientific gear to somewhere kinda remote? What else are you going to pack?

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#260093 - 04/30/13 03:11 AM Re: Volunteers needed to aid scientific study by NRA [Re: jzmtl]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: jzmtl
What does NRA need soil and paint samples for?

I suspect it has something to do with California Condors and lead amunition.

#260094 - 04/30/13 03:13 AM Re: Volunteers needed to aid scientific study by NRA [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Fun!

Thought exercise: You're going to be hauling 40 pounds of scientific gear to somewhere kinda remote? What else are you going to pack?

Not a whole lot more.....

#260096 - 04/30/13 03:22 AM Re: Volunteers needed to aid scientific study by NRA [Re: clearwater]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Haha! I'd be thinking the same thing, I suspect. I'm working on my GHB/BOB right now and it's probably about 40 pounds with food and water. Wouldn't want much more than that. Of course, in my younger more foolish days... LOL!

What kind of a trek are we talking about for this project? Are weather, mechanical injury, etc. risks?

Walkie talkie comms? Cel phones? PLBs?

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#260097 - 04/30/13 05:10 AM Re: Volunteers needed to aid scientific study by NRA [Re: clearwater]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Since it is the NRA, I assume they want to study the effects of lead ( from ammo ) on the environment.

In a local camping/hunting forum , a discussion of this sort took place but from health angle. How much lead does a hunter consume from within hunted birds and small game ? The discussion went on to discuss scattered ammo in the environment consumed by other animals or birds, or just leaching into plants, which are consumed by animals and birds.

Remember I am NOT from the USA. So, no debate is intened here.

I think that maybe , just maybe, someone in the NRA is sensing someone on the other side gearing up to raise concerns about the negative environmnetal impact of hunting on the environment & wildlife. So, some NRA folks want to collect their own scientific ammo for such a confrontation.

Maybe.

p.s. Mods can delete my last paragraph if need be.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.