Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#260082 - 04/30/13 01:21 AM Re: Mainstay/Daytrex Bars Shelf Life [Re: bacpacjac]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
To each their own for sure. I actually like the taste and consistency of MRE shortbread. And Tania is ok but expensive. Which just goes to show develop your own taste and don't rely on mine, its all good.

#260085 - 04/30/13 02:05 AM Re: Mainstay/Daytrex Bars Shelf Life [Re: bacpacjac]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I think you made a good purchase.

We keep a 3600 cal Daytrex block in each vehicle, and a 1200 cal Mayday food bar in each backpack. They last a long time, and taste way better than pine bark or nightcrawlers. Who cares about long-term nutrition? You're lost in the woods and you need carbs for energy! And at $7.00?...a big ol' burger costs that much.

When there is nothing else, we have Daytrex or Mayday.

#260087 - 04/30/13 02:42 AM Re: Mainstay/Daytrex Bars Shelf Life [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
That's what I was thinking, Byrd. They cost about the same as a MH meal, but are way more calorie dense, and it sounds like they last forever and will stand up to being stored in the vehicle or family BOB well. All good things in my book. But...

Taste test tomorrow after school!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#260173 - 05/01/13 10:33 PM Re: Mainstay/Daytrex Bars Shelf Life [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Apparently I still have baby brain. I bought Daytrex 2400, not Mainstay. At any rate, we tried them today and they're a hit. I liked them too, except for the dry, crumblieness. They killed my hunger pretty quick though.

The inner wrapping is like Saran wrap and I'm doubtful that they'll make it through a 1-2 year shelf life, but who knows.

At 200 calories a bar, they're more nutritionally dense than granola and Clif bars, but $8 for 12 makes them more expensive than granola bars and in the same ballpark as Clif bars.

They're OK but I'm on the fence about buying more. I don't think they're in much danger in the pantry but we'll see how the troops take to them.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#260182 - 05/02/13 01:47 AM Re: Mainstay/Daytrex Bars Shelf Life [Re: bacpacjac]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Like Am_Fear_Liath_Mor said, you can make up your own shelf-stable food supply from less expensive grocery store items.

The advantage of Datrex, Mayday, and Mainstay (haven't tried that brand) is very long shelf life, and their claim to not induce thirst when consumed.

Wasa flatbread, natural peanut butter, jerky, aseptic packed tuna or salmon, dried raisins or currants make good choices.

Any meal or snack is more filling and nutritionally complete if it contains complex carbs, good fat, and protein.

#260187 - 05/02/13 04:31 AM Re: Mainstay/Daytrex Bars Shelf Life [Re: bacpacjac]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Datrex claims a one year shelf life for their rations once the outer bag is open, so long as the individual wrapping is intact. I don't know why they wouldn't keep nearly that long- they're relatively dry, so AG is very low.

I broke up one block of Datrex bars and sealed each individually, but my sealer is a commercial chamber vacuum machine. Not sure if a Foodsaver would work as well.

#260188 - 05/02/13 05:02 AM Re: Mainstay/Daytrex Bars Shelf Life [Re: Phaedrus]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I haven't tried those specific brands you mentioned, but some of the other ones I've tried would no doubt retain their original flavor and freshness for 3 to 4 centuries. That doesn't say much for their original flavor and freshness...

#260290 - 05/04/13 04:50 PM Re: Mainstay/Daytrex Bars Shelf Life [Re: bacpacjac]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Okay, just broke the mylar on my Datrex 3600 (coconut cookies) pack. Not bad flavor, but definitely not complete nutrition.
Ingredients: Wheat Flour, Vegetable Shortening, Cane Sugar, Water, Coconut and Salt.

I'm looking at these as a way to increase calories in my 96 hour kit and extend other nutrition sources so the kit will go longer than 96 hours. Plan is to add two Datrex 3600 packs to the food cooler in my truck's 96 hour kit. With the food already in the cooler (MRE's/freeze dried entree's and canned soup), the kit should be good for 10 days +/-. I would not put myself on a Datrex diet, that would get very old, very fast.

#260296 - 05/04/13 07:18 PM Re: Mainstay/Daytrex Bars Shelf Life [Re: bacpacjac]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
They're not meant to be complete nutrition but rather a survival food. I wouldn't want to live on 'em either.

#260305 - 05/05/13 01:47 AM Re: Mainstay/Daytrex Bars Shelf Life [Re: Phaedrus]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I stock up on nutritional supplements, which I can eat everyday without refrigeration or heating, and rotate the stock.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.