Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#259173 - 04/16/13 08:55 AM Re: Don't count on cell phones in a crisis [Re: Dagny]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
And you can send emails with text message too, best to know how your carrier handles this before hand.

#259177 - 04/16/13 02:30 PM Re: Don't count on cell phones in a crisis [Re: jzmtl]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
The thought of authorities shutting down the towers seems like it would do more harm than good. There would be a very slight chance of preventing a remote activation of a bomb, while there would be a 100% chance of hindering at least some emergency operations. Plus, the authorities would open themselves up for many expensive civil lawsuits for years to come. Lawyers would have a field day. There would be at least a few victims (maybe even dead victims) who would receive severely delayed medical care as a foreseeable result of not being able to communicate how the victims otherwise could have.

Originally Posted By: jzmtl
And you can send emails with text message too, best to know how your carrier handles this before hand.

Interesting, I only know about the other way around (sending text via email). I'll have to learn what you mentioned.

...easy, thanks.

#259179 - 04/16/13 03:30 PM Re: Don't count on cell phones in a crisis [Re: ireckon]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Texting (without pictures) is always preferable in that kind of situation. Text messages take very little band width. When the system is overloaded and/or signal strenght is poor, you can often get a text message through when voice is hopeless. And since you are using less bandwidth yourself, you make more available for others. A win-win.

#259187 - 04/16/13 06:57 PM Re: Don't count on cell phones in a crisis [Re: Dagny]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Dagny - thanks for posting. Very good piece of info.

It's sensible that the police would want to shut down cell phones. I wonder how "specific" such a shutdown is ... how localized is the area where the phones do not work? That would be interesting to know.

Also, it seems like if cell phone service is shut off then texts and calls would both be unavailable. Maybe there is something that I do not understand. Can they just shut down calls, but still enable texts??

Pete2

#259188 - 04/16/13 07:05 PM Re: Don't count on cell phones in a crisis [Re: Pete]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

A text requires a very limited amount of connectivity. So, a mobile phone can reach out and get a crappy connection to a cell tower that's a farther distance away, while close towers are shutdown. It doesn't matter that the connection is distant and crappy because the data being transmitted is a quick burst of text.

Anyway, I really would like to know the definitive answer to what the authorities did. I maintain what I said above.

#259191 - 04/16/13 07:36 PM Re: Don't count on cell phones in a crisis [Re: Dagny]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Text messages, aka SMS, are sent differently than data or voice, so even if voice calls don't get through or you can't access your facebook home page to request rescue, it's worth trying an SMS.

SMS and data in particular are protected from garbling and static. There's less danger of someone mis-hearing something important.

#259202 - 04/16/13 09:10 PM Re: Don't count on cell phones in a crisis [Re: Dagny]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Regarding the injuries,seems leg injuries and amputations,wonder if bomber designed it to do that.

A sick situation,wonder what the perp is about???

Was this thing designed like a Claymore?

#259221 - 04/17/13 01:51 AM Re: Don't count on cell phones in a crisis [Re: Dagny]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Don't rely on landlines, either. When hurricane Ike decimated Houston the landlines that weren't taken out by trees were commandeered by emergency services. We didn't have phone service of any type (cell or landline) for ten days and even texts took up to 24 hours to be sent.
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#259250 - 04/17/13 02:44 PM Re: Don't count on cell phones in a crisis [Re: Blast]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Blast
Don't rely on landlines, either. When hurricane Ike decimated Houston the landlines that weren't taken out by trees were commandeered by emergency services. We didn't have phone service of any type (cell or landline) for ten days and even texts took up to 24 hours to be sent.
-Blast

Was the Internet working for anybody? Cable or satellite?

#259253 - 04/17/13 03:45 PM Re: Don't count on cell phones in a crisis [Re: Dagny]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
an old Princess or push button digital phone and one of these RJ11 to alligator clip adapters might be a good addition to your car supplies, in case you need to "borrow" telephone service... connect the red and green...
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/314xcyJJekL.jpg

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.