Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#259562 - 04/20/13 08:46 PM Re: My urban kit [Re: Bingley]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

I'm always heavily armed when in NYC. On and off duty. I've strolled through the park in the wee hours ad survived. But then the average person isn;t me. They have my licenses, training or experience.

#259585 - 04/20/13 11:11 PM Re: My urban kit [Re: ]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
As it's NYC you might consider a space blanket or bag or SOL bivy in case you are forced to stay somewhere and must shelter there.

As a New Yorker, I am not sure this suggestion is applicable. The transportation system and infrastructure are robust enough that you can usually get home. If you can't, you can probably find a hotel. If you can't do either, that means something on the order of a nuclear bomb going off has happened, and you'll probably need something more than your PSK.

I now live in a small town in the Midwest (oh Lord, get me out of here!), and I carry space blanket in the car in case my car breaks down in the middle of nowhere. Here I also worry -- if a road get flooded, there may not be another way to get home. In NY, one road goes down, and there are plenty of detours.

Also, NYC is generally a safe place -- if you know what you're doing.

#259587 - 04/20/13 11:12 PM Re: My urban kit [Re: ]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Be nice haertig. I carry a spoon because if you buy yogurt at Wa-Mart all they have is forks.

I wasn't intending to be not-nice by asking why one would carry a spoon and chopsticks. I was wondering why, that's all.

#259592 - 04/20/13 11:48 PM Re: My urban kit [Re: Bingley]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

What if theres a forced evac Bingley? Or subway attack etc? Boston Proves America is no longer feared. You just can't know what will happen. Hence the ETS'ers EDC of flashlights, fire and knives at a minimum. Careful? With my clients I'm a mother hen. On my own in strnge territory I go about my buisiness. If someone can't reaad my bpdy language that's thier problem. And TV series aside the NYPD is a huge joke.

#259593 - 04/20/13 11:53 PM Re: My urban kit [Re: haertig]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Sorry haertig. Thought you were being a bit sarcastic. I misread your intent. Again, my apologies.

#259595 - 04/21/13 12:16 AM Re: My urban kit [Re: ]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

What if theres a forced evac Bingley? Or subway attack etc? Boston Proves America is no longer feared. You just can't know what will happen. Hence the ETS'ers EDC of flashlights, fire and knives at a minimum. Careful? With my clients I'm a mother hen. On my own in strnge territory I go about my buisiness. If someone can't reaad my bpdy language that's thier problem. And TV series aside the NYPD is a huge joke.

You can't know what will happen? So why not recommend that he trucks a whole big survival container wherever he goes? So that sort of "you never know what will happen" is no argument at all. As for the specific possibilities you raise: if there is a subway attack, take the bus home. Or walk home. A forced evac? In a place as dense and big as NY that will take a while. You may have more time and flexibility than you'd first anticipate.

I'm more worried about a forced evac where I am. Small Midwestern towns are the sort of place where environmental regulations are lax, and I'm just waiting for the next chemical spill. Our lakes here are so polluted that we can't eat the fish caught here.

By the way, I didn't say "be careful and you'll be OK." I said "if you know what you're doing." But you didn't get that. Then you turn to insult to bolster your non-argument. That's not civil.

Anyway, not that I like picking on people for their writing, but I find it difficult to communicate with people who have poor writing skills. So maybe I've misunderstood you, but it wouldn't be my fault.

#259599 - 04/21/13 12:57 AM Re: My urban kit [Re: Bingley]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Pats bingley on the head. They didn't take a bus home after the london subway, did they? And they hold everyone in the area for questioning, which can take awhile. I'm actually a published author many times over, so your critique of my writing skills actually made me smile. If you like NYC so much why didn't you tay? As for my typing skills I am recovering from severe eye injury to both eyes and the black print on a bright white background is hard for me to see clearly. I've spoken with a mod about this problem. If that offends you I apologize. My insult was to the NYPD, with whom I'm sure I have had more dealings with professionally than you have had privately, not you. Since I don't play well with the sensitive lads I have a simple suggestion: Let's simply avoid each other? I'm sure Chaos will scold me for that, won't be the first time. I would suggest you get more real world experience before attacking those of us who had done so. In conclusion if I have hurt your feelings in any way I offer my most sincere apologies. Ciao.

#259611 - 04/21/13 02:24 AM Re: My urban kit [Re: ]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
..... I'm actually a published author many times over, so your critique of my writing skills actually made me smile. ....
You sure had me fooled.

#259615 - 04/21/13 02:39 AM Re: My urban kit [Re: AKSAR]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Merely short stories. And in here no need to be creative. Not submitting my posts for publication.

#259623 - 04/21/13 03:31 AM Re: My urban kit [Re: ]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I too write but I am an amateur working with other amateurs. What we do is a series of stories. If I were to post one on fanfiction.net, readers would be lost because so much is built on previous works. One I wrote last year turned out so well I considered rewriting it as a standalone.

That will be on hold as another writer and I are involved on another project.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 435 Guests and 189 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.