The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#258945 - 04/12/13 12:09 PM Re: Hot drinks on the trail [Re: bacpacjac]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
mostly hot tea for me, although I also bring instant coffee with me.

Bob

#258957 - 04/12/13 03:30 PM Re: Hot drinks on the trail [Re: spuds]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: spuds
Anybody own any other halulite gear?

Not Haulite specifically, but I have GSI Pinnacle Soloist that I really like. It gives me pretty much everything I need for cooking in one relatively compact package (including stove & fuel). I have a brief write-up on it here: Snow Peak Gigapower & GSI Soloist

The only drawback to the system is that the rubber handle and plastic lid make it a stove-only pot for me and GSI doesn't seem to make a stainless version of the Soloist yet (they have introduced stainless versions of the ketalist and a few other systems that are campfire friendly).

As for the original question, I don't normally do hot drinks unless I'm overnighting. I've recently quit coffee, but Cup-a-Soups are really nice at the end of the day as is hot chocolate, the latter primarily in winter for the extra calories at night. Various herbal teas are now on the menu for breakfast.

#258966 - 04/12/13 04:49 PM Re: Hot drinks on the trail [Re: bacpacjac]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

A silver bullet thermos is nice. Esbit or small cannister stove. I heat the water in a metal cup (about 26 oz capacity) I bought in the dollar aisle of of super market. I like tea and cup o soup. Ph yeah cocoa too, but no marshmallows for me. I like it with creamer, sometimes vanilla extract, and when camping in cold weather, a shot Seagrams before I crawl in my sleeping bag.

Edited by Snake_Doctor (04/12/13 04:56 PM)

#258969 - 04/12/13 05:10 PM Re: Hot drinks on the trail [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Sadly here in Florida we're often under Red Flag warnings regarding forest fires that even in the dead of winter...no hot drinks to be made in the field.

Fire bans break my heart sometimes, Izzy. I'm still on the hunt for a good smallish thermos to keep drinks hot a long while. I've got a couple big ones that do an awesome job of keeping stuff hot, but they're too big for my liking. I have a couple of those tall thin Thermos brand ones but they don't last long on those really cold days we get. I think I might give up and just make a cozy for the ones I do have.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#258970 - 04/12/13 05:11 PM Re: Hot drinks on the trail [Re: bacpacjac]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
GSI Halulite Kettle

I recently purchased a Vango PowerEx 0.9L Hard Anodised Kettle.

http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/vango-powerex-kettle.html

It will boil 0.5 Litres of Water from a temperature of 4-6C to Boiling in around 2 minutes and 15 seconds, when used in conjunction with a Coleman F1 Power Stove (7KW output) even with a virtually empty gas cartridge. It is very lightweight (around 130 grams), fast and fuel efficient, saving around 30% fuel due to the heat exchanger base.

Tea, coffee, hot chocolate and soup such as Mug Shot noodles. It nice to have a choice.

#258997 - 04/12/13 09:58 PM Re: Hot drinks on the trail [Re: bacpacjac]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Lets see,camping I like coffee,and a quick cup o soup is surprisingly good camping.

Mrs says mostly coffee,tea and water.We do drink soda pops,something we never do at home.Which is odd since I have Coca Cola stock (and thats a great stock,pays dividends in a DEPRESSION)yet I hardly drink the stuff.

#259008 - 04/13/13 01:49 AM Re: Hot drinks on the trail [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
...cocoa too, but no marshmallows for me. I like it with creamer, sometimes vanilla extract, and when camping in cold weather, a shot Seagrams before I crawl in my sleeping bag.

Mm.. vanilla extract sounds great. I'm thinking vanilla bean a leak-proof alternative...

The reason I like carnation creamy hot chocolate is because it doesn't need milk or cream, IMO, as long as you get your powder to water ration right. I use 2 envelopes in my big camp mug. Of course, if you add enough booze... LOL!

#259010 - 04/13/13 01:55 AM Re: Hot drinks on the trail [Re: spuds]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: spuds
Lets see,camping I like coffee,and a quick cup o soup is surprisingly good camping.

Mrs says mostly coffee,tea and water.We do drink soda pops,something we never do at home.Which is odd since I have Coca Cola stock (and thats a great stock,pays dividends in a DEPRESSION)yet I hardly drink the stuff.

I craved Lipton chicken noodle cup-a-soup for the first four or five months of my recent pregnancy. Definitely overdid it. Might never be able to stomach it again. Such a shame cause I loved it on the trail. Thank goodness that same didn't happen to the ramen noodles I craved for the entire nine months.

Coke and camping work well for me too. I don't often pack it but it the summer, I almost always get an icy one as soon as we leave the parking lot.

#259011 - 04/13/13 01:58 AM Re: Hot drinks on the trail [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

That looks cool, Liath. I've been oogling Jetboil systems, but they're out of my price range. This could be a good alternative. Thanks!

#259947 - 04/26/13 10:43 AM Re: Hot drinks on the trail [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

GSI Kettle on Esbit pocket stove:

Bandana coffee:

Esbit coffee:

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 502 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.