Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#259850 - 04/24/13 07:48 PM Re: Update: TSA still not permitting small knives [Re: dougwalkabout]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I rarely fly anymore, since it's gotten to be such a time consuming and hassle filled ordeal. When I do fly, I just don't carry much of anything on other than the stuff nobody is going to hassle you about (clothes, a paperback book, etc.) Then when I get to my destination, I buy the essentials that I didn't carry on (toothpaste, shampoo, a new swiss army knife, etc.) I tend to go to the same destinations over and over, so I leave behind what I've bought so it will be there next time (works when visiting family, which are most of my flights these days).

I really can't think of much a small pen knife could do for you in an airplane emergency situation. Maybe cut a jammed seatbelt - although I've never seen any seatbelt jam, ever. Anyway, you could wiggle out of a jammed seatbelt if you needed too. It's not like you're going to carve an escape hole through the fuselage with your Leatherman Squirt.

#259852 - 04/24/13 08:30 PM Re: Update: TSA still not permitting small knives [Re: haertig]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I was recently exposed during a Work related 'Customer Services Training' to these videos in the US airline industry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1rsVloe0KA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYA_ivyj3kE

I personally would have had to get up and leave at this point if on that aircraft. It doesn't inspire confidence that aircrew wasn't rolling one up in Cockpit.

Lack of a Personal Small pen Knifes or one kept within hand luggage would have been the least of my worries. wink

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (04/24/13 08:32 PM)

#259901 - 04/25/13 01:57 PM Re: Update: TSA still not permitting small knives [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
I was recently exposed during a Work related 'Customer Services Training' to these videos in the US airline industry.

I personally would have had to get up and leave at this point if on that aircraft. It doesn't inspire confidence that aircrew wasn't rolling one up in Cockpit.

Back in my flying pre TSA age,It was Southwest Airlines all the way. No games,no hidden charges,they are THE peoples airline IMO.And their people are the BEST... I LOVE them. I'll bet customer satisfaction with Southwest has to be very high.
===============================
Yup,just what I thought....

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/06/21/southwest-remains-no-1-for-airline-customer-satisfaction/

by Douglas McIntyre Jun 21st 2011 8:55AM
According to the American Customer Satisfaction Index's annual report on airlines, released this week, overall satisfaction is down, but Southwest Airlines (LUV) remained far and away at the top of the list with a score of 81 out of a possible 100. The No. 2 airline for customer satisfaction was Continental (CAL) with an overall score of 64. Southwest's rating rose 2.5%, but Continental's was down 9.9%.
===============================
Hmmmmm....
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2012-06...ssenger-traffic

Southwest loses No. 1 customer rating to rival JetBlue Airways
Airline's merger cited as possible reason for dip in satisfaction
June 19, 2012|By Candus Thomson, The Baltimore Sun

For the first time in nearly two decades, Southwest Airlines, the biggest commercial carrier at BWI, does not sit atop the annual American Customer Satisfaction Index.

The top spot was claimed by JetBlue Airways, with a satisfaction score of 81 on a 100-point scale. Southwest scored 77, its lowest mark in five years.

Edited by spuds (04/25/13 02:15 PM)

#259912 - 04/25/13 06:36 PM Re: Update: TSA still not permitting small knives [Re: Bingley]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I was surprised when the announcement was made as it seemed like a common sense thing often lacking in government decisions. it was not like there was a group of congressmen or a lobby group pushing for it either, which are the usual reasons why government changes things.

I wonder where they came up with the blade limits though. I wonder how it was determined that a 2.36 inch long blade was a small enough threat that it could be allowed while a 3" blade was too much of a risk to allow.

2.36" = 60 mm though. that seems like an arbitrary number from some country using the metric system.

I think it would probably be best if they just kept the complete ban for now to avoid further confusion.

Bob

#259920 - 04/25/13 08:18 PM Re: Update: TSA still not permitting small knives [Re: ILBob]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: ILBob
2.36" = 60 mm though. that seems like an arbitrary number from some country using the metric system.

From what I understand, the TSA is trying to be consistent with other, international guidelines. The 6 cm rule appears to be in use by the Eurpean Union and I've read that it is a part of the security standards adopted by the UN's International Civil Aviation Organization.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 238 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.