Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#257002 - 03/01/13 02:59 PM Re: free kindle books of possible interest [Re: ILBob]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I have purchased a few of the bundles but I find that most of the time there are not enough books in the bundle that i actually want to make the bundles worth buying to me.

Baen made a bit of a deal with the devil to get Amazon and some other big distributors to sell their ebooks.

It used to be that the standard Baen price for ebooks was $4, then it went to $6, now it seems to be $7 - $10 depending on the book.

I still prefer ebooks. They take up no space on my shelves.

I am amazed that the Ring of Fire series has managed to produce 40+ volumes of what amounts to fan fiction that is actually selling well.

Bob

#257051 - 03/02/13 03:37 PM Re: free kindle books of possible interest [Re: ILBob]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

http://ilbob.blogspot.com/2013/03/free-outdoor-related-kindle-books-3-2-13.html

It appears that Amazon has banned the web sites that used to make comprehensive lists of free Kindle books. It will make it much harder to find stuff now.

Bob

#257079 - 03/03/13 07:55 AM Re: free kindle books of possible interest [Re: ILBob]
rafowell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: ILBob

It appears that Amazon has banned the web sites that used to make comprehensive lists of free Kindle books. It will make it much harder to find stuff now.

AFAIK, Amazon hasn't banned such sites, Amazon will just stop paying click-thru affiliate fees to sites that emphasize free Amazon ebooks, per:

Amazon tightens affliate fees on Kindle books

Amazon to Change Free eBook Policy for Associates

Another concern (which I have not confirmed) is that with the Kindle Fire, Amazon has made it difficult (not impossible, but tedious) to read non-Amazon ebooks: Kindle Fire Revew

Some 29,000 free public domain ebooks in practically any format are available at Manybooks.net which is basically a "convenience" indexing and reformatting engine of the ~42,000 book collection of Project Gutenberg and they say that there are over 100,000 books available through the sites they list as Project Gutenberg Affiliates

Note that the books at Project Gutenberg are two-pass human proofread after the original book was scanned.

If you are okay with a fair amount of OCR errors, or willing to read books in .pdf (scanned) format rather than ePub, there are quite a few public domain books available at Google Books.

As a topical example of such a Google Book, this book with tips on making campfires can be downloaded in either ePub or .pdf form from the "gear" icon dropdown menu at top right: The Art of Travel, or, Shifts and contrivances available in wild countries

Update: This site seems to have a fairly comprehensive list of places to get free Kindle ebooks: 97 Places for Free Kindle Books Online (legally)

Edited by rafowell (03/03/13 09:42 AM)
Edit Reason: Found good link to add

#257083 - 03/03/13 01:56 PM Re: free kindle books of possible interest [Re: rafowell]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: rafowell
Another concern (which I have not confirmed) is that with the Kindle Fire, Amazon has made it difficult (not impossible, but tedious) to read non-Amazon ebooks: Kindle Fire Revew

I installed Bluefire Reader on my wife's Kindle Fire and it works very well for non-Amazon ebooks. It supports ePub and PDF.

#257115 - 03/04/13 06:38 AM Free ePub readers for Kindle Fire [Re: chaosmagnet]
rafowell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

I installed Bluefire Reader on my wife's Kindle Fire and it works very well for non-Amazon ebooks. It supports ePub and PDF.

Yes, Adam Engst, in his April 2012 TidBits[1] article: How to Download EPUB, PDF, and Mobipocket to the Kindle Fire lists Bluefire Reader as one of his top three choices for ePub reading on the Kindle Fire:

Adam's article indicates you have to temporarily disable protection to install Aldiko on the Kindle Fire, and this FAQ at the Aldiko site indicates the same: How to install the Aldiko Book Reader on Kindle Fire?

This article also recommends Aldiko for ePub reading on the Kindle Fire, but doesn't say what ePub alternatives were considered:

The Best eBook Format for the Kindle Fire is Epub

[1] I'm surprised TidBits is still going - I used to read it 23 years ago!

#257354 - 03/09/13 03:38 PM Re: Free ePub readers for Kindle Fire [Re: ILBob]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

http://ilbob.blogspot.com/2013/03/outdoors-oriented-free-kindle-book-3-9.html

I can't really recommend this one for reasons I mention in my post but you never really know what you might run into in a free book.

Bob

#257430 - 03/10/13 06:01 PM Re: free kindle books of possible interest [Re: rafowell]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

AFAIK, Amazon hasn't banned such sites, Amazon will just stop paying click-thru affiliate fees to sites that emphasize free Amazon ebooks, per:

Amazon tightens affliate fees on Kindle books

Amazon to Change Free eBook Policy for Associates

Some 29,000 free public domain ebooks in practically any format are available at Manybooks.net which is basically a "convenience" indexing and reformatting engine of the ~42,000 book collection of Project Gutenberg and they say that there are over 100,000 books available through the sites they list as Project Gutenberg Affiliates

Note that the books at Project Gutenberg are two-pass human proofread after the original book was scanned.

If you are okay with a fair amount of OCR errors, or willing to read books in .pdf (scanned) format rather than ePub, there are quite a few public domain books available at Google Books.

As a topical example of such a Google Book, this book with tips on making campfires can be downloaded in either ePub or .pdf form from the "gear" icon dropdown menu at top right: The Art of Travel, or, Shifts and contrivances available in wild countries

Update: This site seems to have a fairly comprehensive list of places to get free Kindle ebooks: 97 Places for Free Kindle Books Online (legally)

I added some of your info to my Kindle page.

Bob

#257445 - 03/11/13 12:35 AM Re: free kindle books of possible interest [Re: ILBob]
Quietly_Learning Offline

Thanks ILBob, I've downloaded 14 books today dealing with medicine, archery and hunting from your recommended links.

#257454 - 03/11/13 11:54 AM Re: free kindle books of possible interest [Re: Quietly_Learning]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Quietly_Learning
Thanks ILBob, I've downloaded 14 books today dealing with medicine, archery and hunting from your recommended links.

There are a lot of out of copyright outdoors books out there. Some are kind of dated, but many have very good information in them even though they are 75 or 100 years old.

Bob

#257456 - 03/11/13 02:18 PM Re: free kindle books of possible interest [Re: ILBob]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Some are kind of dated, but many have very good information in them even though they are 75 or 100 years old.

Reminds me of some geezers I know.....

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.