Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#259103 - 04/14/13 09:10 PM 101st Anniversary of ...
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
The RMS TITANIC struck an iceberg on April 14th, 101 years ago this evening. She sank during the wee hours of the morning on April 15th.

With a competent, well trained crew who showed great bravery during and after the sinking, the crew could not keep hypothermia from killing many passengers and crew.

We are in the midst of cruise ship casualties, especially concerning one cruise line. We watched one of their ships, without tug assists almost get blown down on Algiers Pt this morning as it was approaching it's dock in NOLA this morning, in high winds.

It's easy to say each passenger should be equipped for onboard emergencies but the truth is that these steel self-propelled boxes are also floating cities. These cities are usually going to list sufficiently when taking on water so as to render half of their lifeboats to be unlaunchable. Jumping overboard into the sea is never a good option either.

With today's technology, help will be enroute as soon as it is requested, from many sources and directions. A modern cruise passenger should consider what preps can be taken along to insure their (and their family's) safety until help can arrive in the event of an accident.

It would be a good idea before departure to be familiar with the geography of the cruise itenarary. Look at the possible sources of nearby countries that help would be dispatched from. Plan on stocking up a few bottles of drinking water in one's stateroom. Plan on taking a couple boxes of poptarts (poor man's MRE's) along. A good pocket knife, 60ft of 550 paracord, a compass, cellphone with international connectivity, 1gallon & 1 quart ziplock bags (to protect wallet, other water sensitive paperwork/items), and a spare roll of paper towel and toilet paper maybe good items to carry.

Attendance and careful attention at the lifeboat drill is strongly advised. If a serious incident did occur, remember the calm professionalism demonstrated by the officers and crew of the RMS TITANIC (and don't launch lifeboats until they are bloody filled to capacity) as the band played on in order to help maintain calm in a somewhat hopeless situation.

Just sharing some of my thoughts on this anniversary!

BONUS: RMS means Royal Mail Steamship

#259107 - 04/15/13 12:04 AM Re: 101st Anniversary of ... [Re: wildman800]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I don't get out on the Gulf as much as I used to, but after the MS Costa Concordia mishap, I upgraded to a second EDC light... cr123 powered with a strobe function (wish it were a little slower)... I've been in places whose emergency lights malfunctioned, and the term "oh dark thirty" has real meaning....

#259109 - 04/15/13 01:29 AM Re: 101st Anniversary of ... [Re: LesSnyder]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Cruise ships have never had much appeal to me - entirely too crowded and urban. They are even less so with the recent spate of mishaps,at least a few of which do not measure up to the standards of the Titanic crew.

#259112 - 04/15/13 01:40 AM Re: 101st Anniversary of ... [Re: wildman800]
yee Offline

Originally Posted By: wildman800
TPlan on stocking up a few bottles of drinking water in one's stateroom. Plan on taking a couple boxes of poptarts (poor man's MRE's) along. A good pocket knife, 60ft of 550 paracord, a compass, cellphone with international connectivity, 1gallon & 1 quart ziplock bags (to protect wallet, other water sensitive paperwork/items), and a spare roll of paper towel and toilet paper maybe good items to carry.

I note luggage restrictions:

http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?faq=luggagerestrictions

"In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, Carnival prohibits guests from bringing certain items on board, i.e., weapons, candles, irons, alcohol, or other dangerous goods."

http://www.kingdom-travel.com/Disney_Cruise_Line/Disney_Cruise_Line_Term_Conditions.shtml

"Dangerous or illegal articles such as weapons, explosives, oxygen, combustible substances or non-prescription controlled substances may not be brought to the Walt Disney WorldŽ Resort or taken aboard the ship."

The definition of "weapon" is not clearly defined but I can see enforcers of company policy not permitting a pocket knife.

Thanks.
Conway Yee

Edited by yee (04/15/13 01:46 AM)

#259125 - 04/15/13 04:56 AM Re: 101st Anniversary of ... [Re: wildman800]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I totally forgot about having a flashlight!!!

#259754 - 04/23/13 07:42 AM Re: 101st Anniversary of ... [Re: wildman800]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
>the calm professionalism demonstrated by the officers and crew of the RMS TITANIC (and don't launch lifeboats until they are bloody filled to capacity)>

There was a very good documentary on the tv in the UK last week 'the unsinkable titanic' which said the captain cancelled a life boat drill and his instructions for 'women and children first' was misinterpreted as 'women and children only' so boats were launched with empty seats, when there were men who could have been on them.
Only a tv show so maybe others know more.

The Titanic was made in Ireland.
We always say "It was alright when it left us" :-)

qjs

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.