Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#259363 - 04/19/13 01:40 AM Re: Many feared dead in large explosion in Texas [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: James_Van_Artsdalen

This is why you don't hang out and watch an industrial fire. You run away as far and as fast as you can!
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#259367 - 04/19/13 02:20 AM Re: Many feared dead in large explosion in Texas [Re: adam2]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
In the Texas City explosion the 5 ton ship's anchor was blown through the air about 1/2 mile.

Notice in the video that the shock wave was apparently still supersonic when it got to him. He's lucky it didn't carry some debris at bullet speeds.

Apparently the firefighters who responded the the fire before the explosion all died, apparently staying in the blast zone to warn people to get out. The plan owners have much to answer for.

#259370 - 04/19/13 02:31 AM Re: Many feared dead in large explosion in Texas [Re: darin]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: darin
I,m surprised why the plant, being that close to the town was not required to have blast burms installed around the perimeter like they often require around ammo dumps and fire works site.

Unfortunately these explosions will throw a lot of hot burning debris over any berm. After the Texas City explosion responders had trouble even entering the area because of the fires and debris thrown many miles around the epicenter.

Land is cheap there and a buffer zone should have been bought. Along with a plan that didn't expect 3 volunteer firefighters to show up to deal with that fire.

#259528 - 04/20/13 04:23 PM Re: Many feared dead in large explosion in Texas [Re: adam2]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Not being from a rural or small town, I've been wondering how you could end up with a really big bomb in the heart of your town.

This article, Why did West, Texas, build homes and a school next to a 'time bomb'? tries to go into that question.

Quote:
...like most West residents, Kucera exhibited no animosity or anger toward the plant owner or town officials who allowed construction so close to an explosives storage site.

Instead, he saw the danger as a natural tradeoff of rural farming existence, where danger is always a factor amid killer tornadoes, whirring threshers, pipelines and gas storage facilities necessary to survive on America's rural fringe. In the case of the West Fertilizer Plant, its very products boosted the fertility of both crops and the economy.

"That plant was part of our town and what happened is part of living in a farming town," Kucera says. "You accept a certain level of risk, just as people living in cities do."

Sounds very similar to something I just read about the horrible pollution and environmental damage in many parts of China. The residents are not blind to the risk or where it's coming from, but it's something they accept as a cost of economic development.

#259718 - 04/22/13 08:13 PM Re: Many feared dead in large explosion in Texas [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
darin Offline
Stranger

I'm well aware that burning debis would fly over any burm, how ever at least the blast would not have decapitated the second floor of the near by apt building. I'll take exscape from a burning building anyday over trying to dig out of a colapsed one.

#259721 - 04/22/13 10:45 PM Re: Many feared dead in large explosion in Texas [Re: adam2]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
I read, somewhere, that the plant was built well outside the town and developers built homes, schools etc. as the town expanded. I've driven through West many times. Used to be best known for it's Czech bakery.

#259748 - 04/23/13 05:19 AM Re: Many feared dead in large explosion in Texas [Re: adam2]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
The Boston bombing grabbed all the headlines but the Texas explosion is far scarier. From what I've read, there were several hundred tons of amonium nitrate that was undeclared, while you're supposed to notify if there's more than (iirc) 400 lbs. Apparently compliance is voluntary, or at least there's little by way of enforcement. Laws were flouted and many are dead. There could be dozens, maybe hundreds, of similar situations right under our noses all over the country.

#259752 - 04/23/13 06:32 AM Re: Many feared dead in large explosion in Texas [Re: Blast]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Blast
This is why you don't hang out and watch an industrial fire. You run away as far and as fast as you can!
-Blast
Definitely something to bear in mind. Yipes.

HJ

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 260 Guests and 131 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.