Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#259180 - 04/16/13 04:38 PM General critique of EDC and BOB kits..
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Looking at dozens of kits, bags and lists, two things stand out for me --

1. Too many sharps. Some kits have 5 knives...A folder, a small folder, fixed blade, a multi-tool and all too often a big machete. Too much redundancy and weight.

2. Many kits still include quarters. For a pay phone.

Teacher

#259181 - 04/16/13 04:55 PM Re: General critique of EDC and BOB kits.. [Re: TeacherRO]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
My gripes with BOBs are mostly that there is just too much stuff in them and they are just too heavy.

I think quarters are OK. Pop machines still take them.

I don't understand the mentality of having 5 pounds of knives and 20 pounds of guns and ammo in a BOB.

I also do not understand keeping MREs in a BOB.

What bothers me most though are people who have all kinds of crap so they can walk home and do not have appropriate foot wear.

Bob

#259182 - 04/16/13 05:29 PM Re: General critique of EDC and BOB kits.. [Re: ILBob]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: ILBob

What bothers me most though are people who have all kinds of crap so they can walk home and do not have appropriate foot wear.

Amen.

Need to also add "Or the necessary fitness to make the trip."

#259183 - 04/16/13 06:01 PM Re: General critique of EDC and BOB kits.. [Re: TeacherRO]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
If folks hiked 10 miles with some of these bags, they'd probably get a lot lighter (the bags and the people).

9/11 was a harsh lesson in footwear for many in DC and NYC, especially women, who ended up walking home from work.

I won't judge other people's lists without seeing the actual lists and knowing the context -- anticipated mileage, climate, terrain, dependents, crisis event, etcetera. But I'm mindful of my own tendency to overpack for every trip and suspect I am not alone in being prone to go overboard in a BOB and EDC.

I've tried to address this by becoming more cognizant of the fact that I'm rarely more than a couple hours walk from my vehicle, office or home -- all of which are well stocked. So I feel less compelled these days to have everything in my purse or rucksack.

Jury duty yesterday was one occasion for this situational awareness. Knowing I'd be going through security screening at a courthouse and it is within easy walking distance of home (I can sustain a 3 mph clip for a good while), I dumped my purse out, left the leatherman and Bic lighter at home and took only a small Fenix flashlight (I've become superstitious about having a flashlight or Petzl Zipka head-wrist lamp with me at ALL times, especially in office buildings), cash, wallet, Kindle, phone, cotton bandanas.

This thread is another reminder that I need to tear my car apart. I like to do spring and fall makeovers and inventories of the contents.

#259185 - 04/16/13 06:23 PM Re: General critique of EDC and BOB kits.. [Re: TeacherRO]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
2. Many kits still include quarters. For a pay phone.

The title includes EDC. Quarters are a good thing to EDC in an urban environment because there are still vending machines that do not use electricity.

Jeanette Isabelle

#259186 - 04/16/13 06:40 PM Re: General critique of EDC and BOB kits.. [Re: Dagny]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Dagny
I won't judge other people's lists without seeing the actual lists and knowing the context -- anticipated mileage, climate, terrain, dependents, crisis event, etcetera. But I'm mindful of my own tendency to overpack for every trip and suspect I am not alone in being prone to go overboard in a BOB and EDC.

I can’t speak for BOBs because I’m probably the only member of this forum who does not have one. But I would think a person would know they have gone overboard with their EDC when they carry it everyday.

Jeanette Isabelle

#259193 - 04/16/13 08:05 PM Re: General critique of EDC and BOB kits.. [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Quarters: Pay phones, pop machines , shopping carts. And, Oh yeah, they're also money!

Payphones: They still exist in MANY places and a little more situational awareness will probably reveal them. I realize that I'm in the minority of non-cel phone EDCers, and am probably inclined to be more aware of these things, but if haven't you ever had a cell phone that stopped working?

My cell phone stopped working when I disconnected it from the charger in my Jeep a few months ago. It just wouldn't power on anymore. There I was, six months pregnant, in the winter, on an public transit excursion to the big city hospital, while hubby was at work. There was a fire on the subway that day too, which stopped the trains for a few hours, which made we exceptionally late getting home. Thank goodness for pay phones!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#259195 - 04/16/13 08:27 PM Re: General critique of EDC and BOB kits.. [Re: Dagny]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

If folks hiked 10 miles with some of these bags, they'd probably get a lot lighter (the bags and the people).

9/11 was a harsh lesson in footwear for many in DC and NYC, especially women, who ended up walking home from work.

I've tried to address this by becoming more cognizant of the fact that I'm rarely more than a couple hours walk from my vehicle, office or home -- all of which are well stocked. So I feel less compelled these days to have everything in my purse or rucksack.

Jury duty yesterday was one occasion for this situational awareness. Knowing I'd be going through security screening at a courthouse and it is within easy walking distance of home (I can sustain a 3 mph clip for a good while), I dumped my purse out, left the leatherman and Bic lighter at home and took only a small Fenix flashlight (I've become superstitious about having a flashlight or Petzl Zipka head-wrist lamp with me at ALL times, especially in office buildings), cash, wallet, Kindle, phone, cotton bandanas.

This thread is another reminder that I need to tear my car apart. I like to do spring and fall makeovers and inventories of the contents.

Right there with you, Dagny. I go through a kit overhaul every spring and fall, the toughest seasons in these here parts. The season always starts with an overloaded pack, with too many redundancies. I work those out in the first couple of trips, with the help of you guys, and trim down to a comfortable load pretty quickly.

I do over pack compared to others, but I have to say that I don't get why that would bother anybody else, except maybe my hubby who has to work around the gear in the back of my Jeep whenever he uses it. (The sharing of marital space is a topic for another thread.)

Edited by bacpacjac (04/17/13 03:41 AM)

#259196 - 04/16/13 08:32 PM Re: General critique of EDC and BOB kits.. [Re: Dagny]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Well said, Dagny! Everyone is unique and so, too, are our kits.

#259197 - 04/16/13 08:34 PM Re: General critique of EDC and BOB kits.. [Re: bacpacjac]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Payphones: They still exist in MANY places

smile Not in my country anymore. Must be quite a lot of years since I last saw a payphone anywhere.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 289 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.