Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#259505 - 04/20/13 03:56 AM Re: General critique of EDC and BOB kits.. [Re: LesSnyder]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Every time I store water in a bladder, even in the fridge, it go's bad. Be careful and check your bladder is my unasked for advice Les.

#259513 - 04/20/13 11:27 AM Re: General critique of EDC and BOB kits.. [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Snake_Doctor... thanks for the advice.. the bag in question is a Blackhawk Hydro Storm from the prize table at Ft Benning, and supposedly has antimicrobial properties... I used a CamelBak Rogue for half a dozen seasons for USPSA, but pull a little wheeled cooler with bottled water now...there is a Sawyer filter bottle in the outer pocket..

Edited by LesSnyder (04/20/13 10:06 PM)

#259522 - 04/20/13 03:28 PM Re: General critique of EDC and BOB kits.. [Re: LesSnyder]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
plus a milk crate containing additional and heavier equipment (machete, folding shovel, fuel, extra food) to make my stay in my small SUV a little more pleasant
Wish I had a picture,I bought a thing that looks like a milk crate,twice as long,with rubber like coating on the metal wire its made of.Very nice,and it doesnt slide around on the truck bed liner.
-------------------------
I just plain do not understand people who live in snow country that do not have 4WD or AWD. The gas mileage penalty is not that much. Having an appropriate vehicle for the conditions you will likely face is part of adequate preparations IMO.

I can understand that.

Some folks just dont have to leave home in bad weather.Others can wait for plowed roads and put on chains.Cancel work.

In my case,we lived here a season or 2 when the Chevy S-10 died.At the time we spent more time away from home than here with job.So we bought a car with zippy handling that cruised at 75MPH (we had a LOT of driving to do) and ate up the mtn roads 10 months of the year. Problem,job situation changed,and new job meant being home,and MUST show,no excuses but blizzard-ed in.So thats when I learned 4x4 lesson.Though I did have a baja bug that was usually good in snow if not high centered.Not ideal...Brrrrr!

So yeah,I can see where some folks,and newbies moving in,can have wrong vehicle for conditions.A lot of renters from flatlands with flatland vehicles,a new vehicle may not be doable for many and they had no idea what snow really means.Lots of situations can happen to folks.

No way can I see anything short of 4x4 now,there are few cons (cant drive 75,slight decrease in MPG) but nothing has stopped us yet,pretty amazing for snow country.Havent even had to chain up once yet,blows my mind.

#259576 - 04/20/13 09:57 PM Re: General critique of EDC and BOB kits.. [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Spuds.. the #1 reason I don't get good gas mileage...with the Swiss Ranger stove and a can of sterno, but without any water the pack is very manageable, but I still don't plan on a walkout.. it's a convenient way to organize and store articles and still gives me some options ... I forgot I used the real crate for my 3 gun cart, and substituted one of my Staples crates from school.. orange box is FAK that stays in car.. I have a separate trauma bag for the range

#259580 - 04/20/13 10:17 PM Re: General critique of EDC and BOB kits.. [Re: LesSnyder]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Cheaper than dirt has a bladder with a tiny inline filter also Les. Sorry I can't remember the price on it.

#259581 - 04/20/13 10:20 PM Re: General critique of EDC and BOB kits.. [Re: spuds]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

The people here aren't used to snow' Get half an inch and they're slidin around playin bumper cars. An inch and they close the schools.

#259582 - 04/20/13 10:22 PM Re: General critique of EDC and BOB kits.. [Re: LesSnyder]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Nice set up les

#259583 - 04/20/13 10:23 PM Re: General critique of EDC and BOB kits.. [Re: ]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

I have a trauma kit in my range gear. Too many idiots go there with no safety training. And I carry a res Q pac in my cargo pocket.

#259591 - 04/20/13 11:43 PM Re: General critique of EDC and BOB kits.. [Re: TeacherRO]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I carry a roll of quarters that are now meant for vending machines instead of pay phones.

#259639 - 04/21/13 02:36 PM Re: General critique of EDC and BOB kits.. [Re: TeacherRO]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX
living fairly remotely, we carry more in our vehicles than we'd likely need.

its diverse gear to cover as many situations as possible (wet/dry, summer/winter, long/short-term, safe/violent, healthy/injuried, etc) but we do so using a layered technique (a modification of rowe's first-second-last-line kit concept) of having the most important things always on the body or in pockets, then belt/coat-pocket items, then small pouchs, then vests, then packs, then vehicle-only gear/tools.

if not used in place, depending on the need, the necessary equipment likely to be needed can be chosen and carried away very quickly. and if its later discovered that too much has been taken (due to distance/speed of foot travel), less important items can be pitched/hidden.

knowledge and flexibility is the key.

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 292 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.