The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#259770 - 04/23/13 02:04 PM Re: My urban kit [Re: bacpacjac]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
"America's safest city by a mile"? ummm... 246th out of 261 isn't first place...

First place = highest crime. 261st place = lowest crime.

#259772 - 04/23/13 02:51 PM Re: My urban kit [Re: AROTC]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
There are parts of every urban area that are bad as Detroit and other areas that are fairly safe.

In any case, most of the urban areas actively manage their crime statistics by various means so that they are not as meaningful as one would hope for.

Reading anything into them as a survival tactic is not going to be as helpful as one might hope. Raw numbers like this just do not tell you anything useful.

You cannot really depend on being safe in areas considered safe either. An acquaintance of mine was murdered about 10 years ago in a well to do area that had virtually no crime, and there has been very little crime since in that area.

There are some Google maps that have been put together by various entities that show where crimes have occurred. The maps show clusters of crimes that make for good information on what areas of town to avoid.

Bob

#259784 - 04/23/13 08:25 PM Re: My urban kit [Re: Bingley]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Bingley
"And of the 261 cities with more than 100,000 residents, New York's crime rate ranked 246th."

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
"America's safest city by a mile"? ummm... 246th out of 261 isn't first place...

First place = highest crime. 261st place = lowest crime.

Thanks for clarifying, Bing, but you missed my point. (I added your original quote to clarify a little further.) Regardless of which is the high end of scale, 246th isn't 1st or 261st, so "New York is America's safest big city by a mile," is an exaggeration.

I don't belabour the point to argue about how safe NYC is or isn't, or even how best to interpret the stats. We could do that all day and accomplish nothing but tick off everybody here by further sidetracking this thread.

My point is don't take the news, or even statistics, at face value. The same goes for what you need or how to prep or carry for EDC, GHB, BOB, etc. The OP has already received conflicting information about defensive weapons, as an example, demonstrating the need to wade through it all to figure out what works best for him, instead of getting caught up in endless debates about which is the best whatever.

My simplest advice is to do your research. Get advice and opinion. Be discerning. Listen to your experience and your gut. Remember that other people's prep lists may not accurately reflect your threat assessment, even if you live/work/commute through/visit the exact same city.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#259786 - 04/23/13 08:49 PM Re: My urban kit [Re: bacpacjac]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Now, back to the "30 uses for a bandana" post, where is a good place (online probably) to find large good quality (printed on both sides preferably, hemmed all the way around) cotton bandanas? Looking at all of mine, I think they are on the smallish side. And they are all about 500 years old. Time for some replacements I think.

#259787 - 04/23/13 09:03 PM Re: My urban kit [Re: AROTC]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

LOL! Thanks haertig!

Great question!

I've been pondering the bandana question myself. About two years ago I discovered "Buff". They're those bandana-like things they use on the TV show Survivor. It's one piece of fabric that's cut in a tube instead of a square. I've added one to my kits, but not removed any bandanas.

You can use them for many of the same uses as a bandana, but I've noticed these key differences:

-buffs work better as clothing (I.e. a head wrap) than a bandana because you don't need a knot. You just slip it on.
-buffs don't work as well as a sling because the material is thinner and stretchier than a regular cotton bandana. To get the support you need for a sling, you need to pull it taught, which makes it more constricting. Of course, that might be a good thing too sometimes.
--also, because some applications need a bigger piece of fabric, (i.e. a signal flag) you might need to cut it to make it work. Then again, in an emergency situation, who cares.
-buffs are more expensive than bandanas, at least brand name retail. I'm thinking of making my own out of one of my daughter's onsies.

Edited by bacpacjac (04/23/13 09:07 PM)

#259788 - 04/23/13 09:06 PM Re: My urban kit [Re: bacpacjac]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

I just started looking around online (Amazon, etc.)

From what I have researched, a "good quality bandana" is defined as

27"x27"
100% cotton
hemmed on all four sides
printed on both sides

So far, I haven't found any that posses all four of these traits. I'll keep looking...

#259789 - 04/23/13 09:08 PM Re: My urban kit [Re: haertig]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Thinking back to that sewing machine thread, maybe I can just go to a fabric store and buy the material and thread to make some myself. I haven't sewed in many years, but a hem is pretty basic to accomplish.

#259790 - 04/23/13 09:08 PM Re: My urban kit [Re: AROTC]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

All I've seen are smaller ones, likely just like what you have, and then up to a shemaugh or pashmina. frown

#259792 - 04/23/13 09:10 PM Re: My urban kit [Re: haertig]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

I've never had the stomach to watch even one episode of Survivor, so I have never heard of a "buff". I think I'd like a regular bandana better, but I will check out these newfangled buff things just to see what they are...

#259793 - 04/23/13 09:10 PM Re: My urban kit [Re: haertig]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I was thinking the same thing. I have a plaid cotton shirt that fit me while I was pregnant but is too big now. I think I'm going to hack that up and give it a go. An old bed sheet would probably work well too.

Edited by bacpacjac (04/23/13 09:12 PM)

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 301 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.