Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#259442 - 04/19/13 06:03 PM Re: Bugging out to the wild? [Re: wildman800]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: wildman800
Bugging out to the woods is what one does when conducting Guerrilla Warfare against hostile forces.

I agree. Unless Red-Dawn-the-movie or The-Walking-Dead-the-TV-show becomes true, I can't see running out to the woods to eat grubs and things as being a viable option. It sounds romantic, well, kind of, but that's pretty much a fairy tale. As much as I enjoy the wilderness, all my survival gear is aimed at getting me out of it, not into it.

#259444 - 04/19/13 06:14 PM Re: Bugging out to the wild? [Re: Denis]
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: N.Cal.
I remember a talk with my father many years ago and it sort of relates to this topic.
We were having Big Time Civil Unrest( PC for RIOTS) very close by, ie under 10 mi.
I had just started backpacking a year or two before.
Well Dad said he was ready to send me camping if the Disturbance had continued another day. The local Authorities clamped down Hard and
reasonably fast I think (2day's trouble IIRC). In today's world I do not think
the disturbance would have been quelled as quickly, ie actions taken then are not currently P.C.
The short story was I would have gone camping Sis would have gone to a distant relative Dad and Mom would have stayed home to protect it until
the riot came much closer.
So Bug out to survive, kinda but survive what and for how long ?
Long term, it doesn't really work but you could be forced into it regardless.

#259448 - 04/19/13 07:39 PM Re: Bugging out to the wild? [Re: Denis]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The great thing about decent camping gear is the versatility and adaptability they engender. I have a fair amount of gear and I expect I would be using it right in my own back yard when my home collapses into rubble as a result of the Big One. If I need to leave, my gear is light and compact enough that I could take it with me, whatever mode I might adopt. I could then be comfortable in all kinds of situations. I would probably be passing through wilderness, not residing therein.

I have spent enough time in wilderness and isolated areas to realize that talk of "bugging out" for any prolonged time is romantic nonsense and fantasy, especially without support.

#259449 - 04/19/13 07:42 PM Re: Bugging out to the wild? [Re: Denis]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

We may not PLAN to bug out into the wild, but reemember that we may FIND OURSELVES STUCK in the wild. That is what survival situations are all about.

In my case, I have no ineterest to be " in the wild" except for short camping trips, but I have been stuck in the desert sometimes ago, and it was not fun. I better learn a thing or two about dealing with such situation.

#259450 - 04/19/13 07:53 PM Re: Bugging out to the wild? [Re: Denis]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
In a military situation, IR will reveal you if you are being looked for. Walking around at night or a fire - you be found.

I plan to bug in. If I have to, I can cache items that may be "contraband" near the house. Close enough to get to, not close enough that they can link them to me. And pretty much, unless someone is really looking closely, the stuff won't be found.

And if the Zombie Applesauce happens, I'll be on the roof with a scoped .22 and a tally sheet.

#259451 - 04/19/13 07:56 PM Re: Bugging out to the wild? [Re: Denis]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

1. What scenario would require bugging out to the wilderness?

Probably what is currently going down in Boston, which brings up the problem of being able to bug out during a 'Lock Down'.

#259452 - 04/19/13 07:59 PM Re: Bugging out to the wild? [Re: chaosmagnet]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Because campsites may be more available than hotel rooms? That's not "the wild," of course, but it's not necessarily unreasonable to bring your camping gear with you during a bugout.

Been there. A friend and I once had our flight to Shreveport LA diverted to New Orleans. (Mechanical issues.) We decided to rent a car and drive rather than wait for the next flight. When we finally made it to Shreveport LA we couldn't find a room. No hurricane or anything, just a huge festival going on. A motel in Texarkana told us that every hotel and motel within a few hour radius was sold out. He suggested we head into Texas to find something. We gave up around 2 am. After driving all day an night, we ended up sleeping really uncomfortably in the rental car. Not an emergency, by any means, but I would given all my money for a tent and an air mattress.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#259454 - 04/19/13 08:10 PM Re: Bugging out to the wild? [Re: JBMat]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
In a military situation, IR will reveal you if you are being looked for.

IR camouflage clothing is quite inexpensive, such as IRR MoD Genuine issue Smock and Trousers and most IR detection equipment is based on image intensity technology not true Thermal IR using bolometer technology. i.e. movement would be based on the same daylight tactical movement. i.e using cover and stay in the shadows from the cast starlight (unless active IR LED or LASER emitters are used)

Thermal IR using Bolometer is a different story but a wool blanket backed with disruptive pattern mylar cut outs of different thicknesses could be very useful

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (04/19/13 08:24 PM)

#259455 - 04/19/13 08:13 PM Re: Bugging out to the wild? [Re: gonewiththewind]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Montanero
The zombie apocalypse? No, an outbreak of contagious disease, civil unrest, or natural disaster that makes a crowded city more hazardous to live in. Escaping to the wild would get you away from people, in the cases where people are the hazard, such as contagious disease or scarce resources. Me personally, I just don't like crowds anyway and am more comfortable in the woods.

^^This. it's not high on my list but it's on there.

More likely for us, IMO, is the threat posed by the two nuclear reactors in our area, along with a major national highway and railway, and a tonne of industry. (I.e. I drive by the Oshawa GM plant on the way to work.) A chemical or nuclear accident are our main bug-out scenarios, other than a house fire, local gas leak, etc.

In the event of a local evacuation, we'd be looking to head out of town, and expect that many others would too. We wouldn't be heading to the hills, but plan to stay with relatives out of town. (Which direction we go depends on the prevailing winds at the time.) Being setup to camp out in the back yard could go a long way to ease the tensions that could arise in that scenario. .

I also think that there's a strong likelihood of mass panic in those scenarios. That could effect how far and how fast we can get to one of our BOLs by vehicle. I imagine every hotel and motel between here and our BOLs would either be evacuated too or sell out quickly. Being setup to camp along the way gives us more options.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#259457 - 04/19/13 08:35 PM Re: Bugging out to the wild? [Re: Chisel]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: Chisel
We may not PLAN to bug out into the wild, but reemember that we may FIND OURSELVES STUCK in the wild. That is what survival situations are all about.

I completely agree. However, what I wanted to explore here are the scenarios where one would purposefully leave their home / community and head out to the wilderness.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.