#259413 - 04/19/13 03:07 PM Re: My urban kit [Re: AROTC]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Here is my commuter rail kit list as it has evolved:

• one liter Nalgene, full of fresh water
  • protein bars **
  • spare CR123A battery in a plastic wrapper, suitable for my primary EDC flashlight (which is a 4Sevens Quark 123 S2)
  • 4Sevens Prism kit to turn the Quark into a headlamp
  • iTP A3 EOS Upgrade 1xAAA flashlight on a neck lanyard
  • Mini-Bic
  • A couple of large paperclips
  • eight Potable Aqua chlorine dioxide tablets
  • Fox 40 Micro whistle in blaze orange
  • A small amount of duct tape
  • Sawyer sunblock with bug repellant spray
  • Dust mask
  • bandanna
  • mechanics gloves
  • Heatsheets 2 person emergency blanket
  • emergency poncho
  • large contractor bag
  • Countycommm "ETFR" small radio with earbuds
  • Leatherman Wave (pre-2004) **
  • screwdriver with bits in hollow handle **
  • Preon 2 S3 Ti **
  • cable ties **
  • small FAK including Patrol Officer's Pocket Trauma Kit
  • sync/charge cables and AC power cube for my iPhone **
  • 10 Ah lithium polymer battery with cables to charge my iPhone, iPad, and other devices **
  • earplugs **
  • facial tissue **

** denotes items I carry for work that can be pressed into service for emergencies

The only things on my list that I didn't see on yours that I'm sure I want to recommend to you would be the Heatsheets, a pair of gloves, and a mini-Bic. For myself, I prefer a multi with good pliers over an SAK, and I also believe that a silcock key is unneeded weight (especially with a multi) but those are my preferences.

#259418 - 04/19/13 03:52 PM Re: My urban kit [Re: chaosmagnet]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Leatherman Wave (pre-2004)

May I ask why the pre-2004 caviot? The Wave I have is indeed pre-2004, it was bought when the Wave first came out. But I had considered buying a newer Wave as a second tool, mostly for the ability to look the tools so they don't fold while in use (a capability that the original Wave lacks).

Are there problems with the newer Waves?

Thanks

#259419 - 04/19/13 03:53 PM Re: My urban kit [Re: AROTC]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: AROTC
Suggestions?

Be mindful I don't want to break my back carrying it, I'm a student without many funds, but I have a decent inventory of camping supplies.

My decision on what I EDC comes from my experience. Experience will be your best teacher and the best source information on what to carry. Experience will also tell you how to trim your gear if you feel you are carrying too much.

Jeanette Isabelle

#259422 - 04/19/13 04:15 PM Re: My urban kit [Re: haertig]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA

Originally Posted By: haertig
May I ask why the pre-2004 caviot? The Wave I have is indeed pre-2004, it was bought when the Wave first came out. But I had considered buying a newer Wave as a second tool, mostly for the ability to look the tools so they don't fold while in use (a capability that the original Wave lacks).

I own both a pre-'04 Wave and a post-'04 Wave, and I like them both. My New Wave (which is what Leatherman calls it) lives in a sheath with a flashlight and a Leatherman bit set that I take with me when anticipating the need. The pre-'04 Wave lives in my laptop bag for the IT work with which I earn my daily bread.

The post-'04 Wave has larger knife blades, all locking tools, different scissors, and trades in the screwdriver bits for a socket that fits Leatherman's proprietary flat reversible screwdriver bits. It comes with one of those bits (for two kinds of driver); there's a bit set available for purchase that works with a number of different fasteners.

The pre-'04 Wave makes more sense to me for my laptop bag because it's lighter than the the New Wave, and because I'm already carrying a screwdriver with bits. The old-school screwdriver bits on the multitool are better, sometimes, for reaching recessed screws than bits that go in a socket.

Edited by chaosmagnet (04/19/13 10:06 PM)
Edit Reason: mistake in quoting

#259423 - 04/19/13 04:16 PM Re: My urban kit [Re: AROTC]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Warm or rain jacket. Small umbrella. cell charging cord.

Edited by TeacherRO (04/19/13 10:47 PM)

#259425 - 04/19/13 04:32 PM Re: My urban kit [Re: chaosmagnet]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle

I did not say what your post claims I have said.

Jeanette Isabelle

#259434 - 04/19/13 05:17 PM Re: My urban kit [Re: haertig]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: haertig

Thanks

I have a pre-2004 wave too. Its lighter, has a better file and scissors. I put my newer wave with a toolkit with all the bits and other things and EDC the older.

#259438 - 04/19/13 05:48 PM Re: My urban kit [Re: AROTC]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Neat little radio. Who do you hear talking on shortwave? I have a ham radio that picks up all kinds of traffic, but I don't carry it with me.

#259439 - 04/19/13 05:52 PM Re: My urban kit [Re: Eugene]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Thanks, all, for the info on Original Wave vs. New Wave differences. I have had an incident or two where one of the screw drivers has folded on me while in use on super tight screws. Not the end of the world, but painful if your fingers happen to be in the way. At least the blades lock on the Original Wave, which is the bigger safety issue. The solution may not be to buy a new tool, it may be to be more aware when using the one I already have. Thanks.

#259456 - 04/19/13 08:25 PM Re: My urban kit [Re: AROTC]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
My question may seem odd, but are the OTC meds in their original containers/packaging? There are instances where OTC meds that are "free-ranging" can raise suspicions about illegal substances and slow down your day. As much as I like my repurposed medicine jar that has four compartments for Tylenol, Benadryl, Immodium, and Motrin, I am not sure it would be wise to carry. I made a lablel that listed what each med is, the color, and the basic dosing. Even with all that, it could still cause me problems.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.