The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#259375 - 04/19/13 02:58 AM My urban kit
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
So I'm living and going to school in NYC. I live about a ten minute walk from campus and I carry my school supplies in a messenger bag. I also carry a few everyday use and emergency supplies:
Thermos
Clifbars
Washcloth
Sunglasses
First aid kit (trauma bandage, nitrile gloves, bandaids, aspirin, Benadryl)
LED headlamp and extra batteries
Spoon and chopsticks
Reusable shopping bag
Change
Notebook and pens
Swiss Army knife in my pocket

Suggestions?

Be mindful I don't want to break my back carrying it, I'm a student without many funds, but I have a decent inventory of camping supplies.

Edited by AROTC (04/19/13 03:00 AM)

#259382 - 04/19/13 03:41 AM Re: My urban kit [Re: AROTC]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
if you don't already EDC...
whistle
bandana
I'd add a small AAA LED keychain light in addition

bag
multi tool or silcock wrench to access water... my Swiss Tool will cut chain link fence
N95 mask
chemical splash goggles/swim goggles
syringe for eye wash or wound irrigation
leather gloves

#259385 - 04/19/13 05:07 AM Re: My urban kit [Re: AROTC]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

A Metrocard with a few rides on it.

#259394 - 04/19/13 05:49 AM Re: My urban kit [Re: Bingley]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Are you looking for emergency supplies, or everyday comfort items?

Thermos? Water bottles (full) instead.
Washcloth? Large bandana instead.
Spoon and Chopsticks? ??? What for?
Reusable shopping bag? ??? I guess OK if you're planning on shopping.

LesSnyder already mentioned a flashlight and whistle and mask.

Cellphone (even a retired one without a service plan will work for 911 calls)
Toilet paper (don't you just hate it when the stall is without?)
Fingernail clipper with file (I'm surprised how often I find this useful)
Anything for self defense is probably out for NYC, so no need to mention

#259395 - 04/19/13 06:20 AM Re: My urban kit [Re: haertig]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: haertig

It's not true that you can't have anything for self defense in NYC. That's just an exaggerated impression of people who haven't spent a substantial amount of time living in New York. However, this is something I wouldn't recommend any New Yorkers to discuss online publicly. If you get into a lawsuit, you definitely don't want put evidence of your self-defense planning and training in public.

#259399 - 04/19/13 10:01 AM Re: My urban kit [Re: AROTC]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Great suggestions so far.

One thing I see missing is shelter. Even with the genetosity of spirit that abounds in NY, Id be concerned with getting stuck outside for a while because of "X" (fire, bomb scare, etc.) within your local AO. It's Spring, so cold and wet weather is part of the seasonal forecast. I'd add a disposable poncho or something equivalant. Personally, i'd also throw in a winter hat, mitts/gloves and a pair of socks, unless you know you're going to be dressed for the worst weather. (I find that harder in Spring and Fall because the temp variances are much wider.)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#259404 - 04/19/13 12:52 PM Re: My urban kit [Re: AROTC]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Great answers. This is just what I carry, I haven't distinguished between emergency and comfort items. I don't really do so in practice, somethings are more obvious, but everything else is a source of improvisation materials. Even with first aid since aspirin and Benadryl can be life saving. There is a whistle attached to my key chain, and I carry a cellphone, earplugs, wallet with a metro card, ID and an extra $20, and I usually have a (not necessarily clean) handkerchief. I've started checking the weather before I leave and adding a sweater or rain jacket if the forecast looks like I need it. Usually, I'm pretty well dressed anyway though.

N95 mask and gloves will probably be added.

Justification for a few other items.
Spoon and chopsticks, definitely comfort item, but I use them all the time. I also carry headphones...I really don't want to destroy them, but they could be most useful as cordage.

Thermos, I carry this instead of a water bottle since I usually leave the house with coffee in the morning. Then I rinse it out and fill it with cold water. If I'm going downtown or something on the weekends, I'll fill it with hot tea or cold water or lemonade. It's a compromise, but it keeps me carrying it.

Shopping bag, mostly for, well, shopping. When I drove everywhere I couldn't remember carrying reusable bags for anything, now its right with me. But it also gives me the option of picking up supplies if I have the opportunity and carrying them more easily.

Washcloth, I like because its more absorbent. I go back and forth between this and a small towel. Why should I carry a bandana instead?

Edited by AROTC (04/19/13 01:13 PM)

#259407 - 04/19/13 01:11 PM Re: My urban kit [Re: AROTC]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
a bandana is typically large enough to improvise a sling for an arm or collarbone injury, and long enough to wrap around a leg for an improvised tourniquet...and if color neutral a "do rag" if you don't have to worry about color associated street gangs...for Sun protection and holding a bandage on a scalp cut

#259408 - 04/19/13 01:21 PM Re: My urban kit [Re: LesSnyder]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I EDC a bandanna regularly. A good all cotton bandanna makes a very effective towel. I regularly used mine when showering at work after commuting by bike. A cotton bandanna is one of the few cotton items I still employ, and they are marvelously versatile.

#259411 - 04/19/13 02:59 PM Re: My urban kit [Re: Bingley]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Bingley
Originally Posted By: haertig

It's not true that you can't have anything for self defense in NYC. That's just an exaggerated impression of people who haven't spent a substantial amount of time living in New York. However, this is something I wouldn't recommend any New Yorkers to discuss online publicly. If you get into a lawsuit, you definitely don't want put evidence of your self-defense planning and training in public.

That's as far as that particular discussion can go on ETS.

chaosmagnet

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.