The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#259304 - 04/18/13 09:03 AM Many feared dead in large explosion in Texas
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Very sad, large explosion at a fertiliser plant.
link

Let this tragedy be a sad reminder that some disasters strike suddenly without warning, unlike say extreme weather.

Shows the importance of being prepared, first aid skils and supplies would be especialy valuable in such cases.

I am sure that all our thoughts are with the bereaved and injured.

#259307 - 04/18/13 11:05 AM Re: Many feared dead in large explosion in Texas [Re: adam2]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
1kt of explosive force!

#259308 - 04/18/13 11:25 AM Re: Many feared dead in large explosion in Texas [Re: adam2]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas

#259309 - 04/18/13 11:39 AM Re: Many feared dead in large explosion in Texas [Re: adam2]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: adam2
... some disasters strike suddenly without warning ...

hmmm,
fertilizer plant ~300 yards from homes/school,
fire at fertilizer plant,
fire leads to fertilizer explosion 10min later,
worst case scenario realized
stick frame buildings never stood a chance

ssudden, but predictable , very sad
Explosion hits fertilizer plant north of Waco, Texas - CNN.com
Ammonium nitrate disasters - Wikipedia

#259310 - 04/18/13 11:40 AM Re: Many feared dead in large explosion in Texas [Re: adam2]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Scary stuff!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#259319 - 04/18/13 03:07 PM Re: Many feared dead in large explosion in Texas [Re: EMPnotImplyNuclear]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB

That report makes an interesting note about risk management:

"Separately, the plant had informed the Environmental Protection Agency that it presented no risk of fire or explosion, according to The Dallas Morning News. It did so in an emergency planning report required of facilities that use toxic or hazardous chemicals.

The plant's report to the EPA said even a worst-case scenario wouldn't be that dire: there would be a 10-minute release of ammonia gas that wouldn't kill or injure anyone, the newspaper reported."

I wonder if a better risk assessment & mitigation plans could have made a difference.

#259342 - 04/18/13 08:33 PM Re: Many feared dead in large explosion in Texas [Re: ]
darin Offline
Stranger

I,m surprised why the plant, being that close to the town was not required to have blast burms installed around the perimeter like they often require around ammo dumps and fire works site. it seems this simple precaution could have averted lots of this damage by directing the blast more upward.

#259347 - 04/18/13 11:00 PM Re: Many feared dead in large explosion in Texas [Re: darin]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The news this morning made me recall the Teas City disaster, which was the detonation of a ship load of ammonium nitrate - 66 years and one day ago.

#259357 - 04/19/13 01:18 AM Re: Many feared dead in large explosion in Texas [Re: adam2]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
I dont think we have as many safety precautions,or the will to make them viable as we had in times past.We used to be rolling in money as a country and willingly paid for proper protection.Thats out the window now in private enterprise,they are struggling hard just to keep the doors open is my take on it.

I see this type of thing increasing going forward IMO.FWIW

#259360 - 04/19/13 01:27 AM Re: Many feared dead in large explosion in Texas [Re: adam2]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
I live approx. 60 miles north as the crow flies. We distinctly heard the blast.

RIP OBG

#259363 - 04/19/13 01:40 AM Re: Many feared dead in large explosion in Texas [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: James_Van_Artsdalen

This is why you don't hang out and watch an industrial fire. You run away as far and as fast as you can!
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#259367 - 04/19/13 02:20 AM Re: Many feared dead in large explosion in Texas [Re: adam2]
Addict

In the Texas City explosion the 5 ton ship's anchor was blown through the air about 1/2 mile.

Notice in the video that the shock wave was apparently still supersonic when it got to him. He's lucky it didn't carry some debris at bullet speeds.

Apparently the firefighters who responded the the fire before the explosion all died, apparently staying in the blast zone to warn people to get out. The plan owners have much to answer for.

#259370 - 04/19/13 02:31 AM Re: Many feared dead in large explosion in Texas [Re: darin]
Addict

Originally Posted By: darin
I,m surprised why the plant, being that close to the town was not required to have blast burms installed around the perimeter like they often require around ammo dumps and fire works site.

Unfortunately these explosions will throw a lot of hot burning debris over any berm. After the Texas City explosion responders had trouble even entering the area because of the fires and debris thrown many miles around the epicenter.

Land is cheap there and a buffer zone should have been bought. Along with a plan that didn't expect 3 volunteer firefighters to show up to deal with that fire.

#259528 - 04/20/13 04:23 PM Re: Many feared dead in large explosion in Texas [Re: adam2]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Not being from a rural or small town, I've been wondering how you could end up with a really big bomb in the heart of your town.

This article, Why did West, Texas, build homes and a school next to a 'time bomb'? tries to go into that question.

Quote:
...like most West residents, Kucera exhibited no animosity or anger toward the plant owner or town officials who allowed construction so close to an explosives storage site.

Instead, he saw the danger as a natural tradeoff of rural farming existence, where danger is always a factor amid killer tornadoes, whirring threshers, pipelines and gas storage facilities necessary to survive on America's rural fringe. In the case of the West Fertilizer Plant, its very products boosted the fertility of both crops and the economy.

"That plant was part of our town and what happened is part of living in a farming town," Kucera says. "You accept a certain level of risk, just as people living in cities do."

Sounds very similar to something I just read about the horrible pollution and environmental damage in many parts of China. The residents are not blind to the risk or where it's coming from, but it's something they accept as a cost of economic development.

#259718 - 04/22/13 08:13 PM Re: Many feared dead in large explosion in Texas [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
darin Offline
Stranger

I'm well aware that burning debis would fly over any burm, how ever at least the blast would not have decapitated the second floor of the near by apt building. I'll take exscape from a burning building anyday over trying to dig out of a colapsed one.

#259721 - 04/22/13 10:45 PM Re: Many feared dead in large explosion in Texas [Re: adam2]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
I read, somewhere, that the plant was built well outside the town and developers built homes, schools etc. as the town expanded. I've driven through West many times. Used to be best known for it's Czech bakery.

#259748 - 04/23/13 05:19 AM Re: Many feared dead in large explosion in Texas [Re: adam2]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
The Boston bombing grabbed all the headlines but the Texas explosion is far scarier. From what I've read, there were several hundred tons of amonium nitrate that was undeclared, while you're supposed to notify if there's more than (iirc) 400 lbs. Apparently compliance is voluntary, or at least there's little by way of enforcement. Laws were flouted and many are dead. There could be dozens, maybe hundreds, of similar situations right under our noses all over the country.

#259752 - 04/23/13 06:32 AM Re: Many feared dead in large explosion in Texas [Re: Blast]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Blast
This is why you don't hang out and watch an industrial fire. You run away as far and as fast as you can!
-Blast
Definitely something to bear in mind. Yipes.

HJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 460 Guests and 72 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.