The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#259199 - 04/16/13 08:41 PM Re: General critique of EDC and BOB kits.. [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Wow! Not even in the hospital or community center?

There are fewer of them around here and they. They cost 50¢ instead of the quarter it used to, but they're still around. Two examples from my personal daily life: The were at least three within easy walking distance of my office, and when I was commuting to Toronto this past year, there was one in every TTC station and hospital. As far as I am aware, all of our Provincial and National Parks have payphones also.

Edited by bacpacjac (04/17/13 03:34 AM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#259201 - 04/16/13 09:03 PM Re: General critique of EDC and BOB kits.. [Re: bacpacjac]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Wow! Not even in the hospital or community center?

There are fewer of them around here and they. They cost 50¢ instead of the quarter it used to, but they're still around. Two examples from my personal daily life: The were at least three within easy walking distance of my office, and when I was commuting to Toronto this past year, there was one in every TTC station and hospital.
Last one I used was in a campground and it was like 4.75 for a 3 minute call!

#259204 - 04/16/13 09:22 PM Re: General critique of EDC and BOB kits.. [Re: TeacherRO]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
I'm to the point of leaving out some "survival" stuff in favor of other things. I think in terms of house - bedroom, kitchen, bathroom. Add in some minor stuff and that's where I want to be. A decent, spend 4-5 days out in the weather kit.

As to quarters, I have $3.00 in quarters in the bag. And if the soda machines aren't working, and I am jonesing for a DP, I do have a pry bar. I can find a big rock (j/k). Like BPJ I am not umbilical corded to my cell phone. And where I live it's not that hard to find a pay phone. BTDT when I locked my keys in my truck. Think gas stations.

#259205 - 04/16/13 09:35 PM Re: General critique of EDC and BOB kits.. [Re: ]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Quarters: Pay phones, pop machines , shopping carts. And, Oh yeah, they're also money!

Payphones: They still exist in MANY places and a little more situational awareness will probably reveal them. I realize that I'm in the minority of non-cel phone EDCers, and am probably inclined to be more aware of these things, but if haven't you ever had a cell phone that stopped working?

Quite literally there are no more pay phones in my town anymore. The local paper did a thing on "the last pay phone" being removed from the main avenue.

I have seen a few around town but they are few and far between.

many seem to have signs advertising you can call mexico on them.

Bob

#259208 - 04/16/13 09:45 PM Re: General critique of EDC and BOB kits.. [Re: TeacherRO]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Its very rare to see a pay phone any more and then you have a pretty high chance of it not working.

#259211 - 04/17/13 12:01 AM Re: General critique of EDC and BOB kits.. [Re: Eugene]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
A worthwhile pursuit if you wish to refine your BOB is to indulge in a few backpacking trips. That experience will show you what is really critical for your well being.

I am a fairly experienced climber and backpacker. My strategy of choice is to shelter in place. I will leave if I must, but I would rather seize the home field advantage

#259212 - 04/17/13 12:30 AM Re: General critique of EDC and BOB kits.. [Re: TeacherRO]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

1. Too many sharps. Some kits have 5 knives...A folder, a small folder, fixed blade, a multi-tool and all too often a big machete. Too much redundancy and weight.

2. Many kits still include quarters. For a pay phone.

I'll add a few more! wink

3. Not enough food, fuel or water (or means to filter or purify water). Have seen someone who thinks a single MRE is enough to sustain for 72hrs

4. No means of keeping warm when sleeping (sleeping bag + pad).

5. Lack of good clothing or change of clothing for insulation and comfort (first means of shelter).

6. Lack of navigation tools.

7. Lack of communications/signaling for awareness and for rescue.

8. Lots of trendy survival tools but lack of knowledge on how to use them properly or efficiently.

9. Shelter such as tents are rarely added for BOB kits instead reliant on improvised shelter systems which are inefficient, energy and time consuming to construct.

10. Poor selection of backpack for the intending pack loads.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (04/17/13 12:32 AM)

#259213 - 04/17/13 01:05 AM Re: General critique of EDC and BOB kits.. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I never understand the food thing either, Liath. Yes, you will live for three weeks without food, but how well will you function? Not to mention the warmth it offers in cold weather or hypothermia situations. Skipping it as part of my EDC? Sure! I also understand the debates over how best to complete a food plan, but not whether or not you need it in a BOB.

For that matter, your entire list is made up of things that bug me when I often hear suggested as a stock answer to people asking for advice on their BOB. I think you're dead on.

#259216 - 04/17/13 01:44 AM Re: General critique of EDC and BOB kits.. [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

5 sharps girl would like to offer a little insight into my particular set-up. Not trying to be defensive, just trying to illustrate that everyone's situation is different.

1. Leatherman Wave - this is part of my EDC that I keep on my body when I go off-roading. If I don't list it, someone always suggests a multi-tool. I use the knife for food, but I also keep it around for the pliers, scissors and screwdrivers.

2. Fixed blade - this is dedicated to non-food stuff like wood processing, cutting ropes and vines, etc.

3. Gerber Clutch on lanyard - stored in kit but worn on body and used regularly at Scouting events. This is a really tiny blade and almost not worth carrying except that it comes in handy a lot at Scouting meetings and events, it shaves sticks pretty well and would make a decent backup in the bush should I ever drop lose my primary knife.

4. Tiny folding knife in fire kit - this is the scraper for the ferro rod, in a stand alone fire kit that my son and Scouts often use.

5. Bahco Laplander - we're still going below freezing here and processing wood without a saw or axe is very difficult. This particular saw is new for me. I won it in the fall and haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

Now, in the late spring, summer and early fall, I can ditch the saw/axe, but I still sit at 4 sharps and I have to say that I'm pretty happy with that set up for my BOB. On the other hand, I only usually EDC one or two - my Wave and the SAK on my key chain, which is my absolute EDC when I leave the house.

Edited by bacpacjac (04/17/13 03:36 AM)
Edit Reason: LM Wave lovin'

#259217 - 04/17/13 01:45 AM Re: General critique of EDC and BOB kits.. [Re: bacpacjac]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I never understand the food thing either, Liath. Yes, you will live for three weeks without food, but how well will you function? Not to mention the warmth it offers in cold weather or hypothermia situations. Skipping it as part of my EDC? Sure! I also understand the debates over how best to complete a food plan, but not whether or not you need it in a BOB.

Or forgetting the whole purpose of having a BOB and prepping is to prepare for the unexpected. What if you ever are forced to grab your BOB and go and after a few days to a week arrive at your destination only to find out its been destroyed so the food stock you were counting on is gone too. Better to have food in your BOB to sustain those first few days.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 238 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.