The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#258978 - 04/12/13 06:39 PM Re: Retired knife .. LOL [Re: Chisel]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
I carry three knives also, must be an airborne thing.

SAK, usually the ranger, sometimes others.

Sheath knife, my venerable Gerber Command I, or issue survival knife. Could be my new Mora now.

Multi-tool, usually some form of Leatherman.

Can't tell you how many times I've use a knife to cut, poke a hole, start a fire, perform minor surgery, open a can, whatever...

If I had to beat feet with literally seconds to spare, the first thing I would grab is a knife, followed by a lighter and a flashlight. From there I can MacGuyver the rest.

#258979 - 04/12/13 06:41 PM Re: Retired knife .. LOL [Re: gonewiththewind]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
I carry a Leatherman Multi-tool and a SOG Flash II Tanto on my person. The multi-tool gets a LOT more use than the Flash, but there are times when the SOG blade comes in very handy for larger cutting jobs.

Or, like the other day, I was removing some stickers from the back window of a car I had just purchased for my son, and the shape of the SOG Flash blade (and the incredible sharpness) made peeling off those stickers a breeze.

The Leatherman's Screwdrivers and Scissors get used a lot, along with the blade for quick things and the pliers are very good too, although a little small sometimes for simple things like tightening up a garden hose....

#258983 - 04/12/13 08:17 PM Re: Retired knife .. LOL [Re: Chisel]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Chisel... it's a citrus peeler.. the edge is serrated and has a chisel (no pun) point... shown with a Vic Classic for size..

#259021 - 04/13/13 07:13 AM Re: Retired knife .. LOL [Re: LesSnyder]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Thanks Les for clarification.
I usually prefer a dedicated knife for food. I think that fluids and bits may find their way into a folding system to make cleaning a challenging job. But then , I haven't tried a folder or SAK for food, so I don't know for sure.

Chisel-wise, I am nuts for knives with chisel tip. Don't have any so far but I keep dreaming about it.

#259022 - 04/13/13 07:19 AM Re: Retired knife .. LOL [Re: bacpacjac]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
Building stuff out of metal and plastic garbage. I've used my knife and pop cans to make a hobo stoves and fishing lures. I've also used it to cut down plastic pop bottles to turn them into scoops. I also used it last week to cut off a piece of inner tube to make some ranger bands.

NOW, we are talking.

Macgyvering stuff is a big hobby for me. A multitool and some wire clothes hangers (for example) can go a long way fixing camping trip's problems.

Regarding the RUKO, this knife is awsome.
It has all I love for a multi-purpose knife. The serrated portion is there, but still not interfering with the straight edge. The spine is long enough for battoning, despite of the serration ( compare that with the SP-8 for example). Great knife design.

OTOH, I don't like looooong knives with loooong tips. My Mcgyveric brain prefers shorter, stouter, less tippy , and more chisely type of knives.

Maybe I will buy a RUKO, saw off 2 inches and re-model the tip to my liking. It will be more suitable for rough work like digging, and even better for cooking : it won't scratch the pot with that fine tip while stirring the soup.

Thanks

#259023 - 04/13/13 11:38 AM Re: Retired knife .. LOL [Re: Chisel]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Chisel
Mcgyveric

That is my favorite new word.

#259059 - 04/13/13 07:33 PM Re: Retired knife .. LOL [Re: Chisel]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
LOL! We just found MacGuiver in US Netflix. My doesn't like it. That breaks my heart a little bit.

I really like the knife. My hubby bought it years ago (11 or 12, I think) and I stole it from him. (I'm pretty sure there was something about "What's yours in mine" in our wedding vows somewhere and I know there was "Keep your wife happy" advice at the reception! ;l

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#259061 - 04/13/13 07:46 PM Re: Retired knife .. LOL [Re: bacpacjac]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Shhh Jac. I don't want my wife, (if I ever find one) to hear that kind of stuff. LOL

#259062 - 04/13/13 07:51 PM Re: Retired knife .. LOL [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
Shhh Jac. I don't want my wife, (if I ever find one) to hear that kind of stuff. LOL

LOL! You just need to find the right kind of woman, Snake!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#259064 - 04/13/13 08:04 PM Re: Retired knife .. LOL [Re: bacpacjac]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

LOL. She'd have to be real special to put up with me, Jac.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 395 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.