Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#258924 - 04/12/13 03:26 AM Retired knife .. LOL
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Considering that knife is the # 1 tool for outdoors. I have noticed that I didn't use my Mora for quite a while while camping around. Even the folding knife in my pocket is becoming something of a dead weight.

Usually I do car camping. If family is with me the DW brings her stuff including a small kitchen knife. If I am alone, my cooking is scaled down to boiling water over an esbit. I will either boil an egg or two, or boil water for Cup a Soup. Either way, I only use a spoon for cooking and eating.

The campground is an established one with toilets ..etc. No wood cutting allowed. Fuel is usually BBQ coal, or propane stoves. If alone, I use an esbit. So in a way, there is no wood processing. Food processing is minimal and requires no knife.

So, my question to all guys and gals : Other than food processing or wood processing, where so you use your knife ??

#258936 - 04/12/13 09:12 AM Re: Retired knife .. LOL [Re: Chisel]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
My pocket knive(s) lives by the computer,mostly handy opening all the boxes UPS keeps dragging here,opening stuff in that heavy plastic they put around products.On the road its used for fingernail prep quite often. Im drawing a blank on specifics,but the truck one gets used a lot!IE,if it wasnt there it would be missed.

#258943 - 04/12/13 10:46 AM Re: Retired knife .. LOL [Re: Chisel]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
i assume you mean a knife blade, not multi-tool/SAK functions...

-ferro rod scraper
-fire steel
-whittling
-cutting rope/fishing line/vine
-opening packaging
-cutting tags off stuff, especially clothes
-i have been known to use it as a shovel
-bee stinger scarper
-pry bar
-nail file/clippers
-signal mirror
-screw driver
-hammer
-spoon

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#258948 - 04/12/13 12:53 PM Re: Retired knife .. LOL [Re: Chisel]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I carry a larger pocket clip folder, usually a BenchMade Ares axis lock or Sebenza, but the one that gets the most usage is a Victorinox 4 pin Executive, though I've never used the orange peeler...it is larger than the Classic and has more usable scissors...

#258949 - 04/12/13 01:06 PM Re: Retired knife .. LOL [Re: LesSnyder]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The knife I carry is usually on a multitool; I find I use the scissors about as often as the knife, which is employed for "processing" fingernails or opening boxes.

#258959 - 04/12/13 04:09 PM Re: Retired knife .. LOL [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Thanks everyone

Around the house I use a multitool frequently.
But in the outdoors, well, I guess the way it is , you cannot call it that. It should be called : an URBAN-type outdoors.
That is why a knife isn't used or needed.

Les,
what is the last tool in your SAK ?
The tool beside the bigger blade

BPJ,
you use your knife as a hammer ?
A Mora ??
And you use it as a spoon ???
Hope the young ones don't learn these bad habits.

Around the house I do use the pocket knife as a mini-micro prybar at times. Actually, this is why I most my pocket knife are the cheapo types. It doesn't matter if they are not super-sharp. I use them more for prying and scraping than real cutting.

One time , at the house, I had to scrape the label of a plastic bottle. Initially, I used the Mora. But it was so sharp it started biting into the plastic bottle and almost cutting it. I used the cheapo to finish the job and it did just fine.

#258963 - 04/12/13 04:34 PM Re: Retired knife .. LOL [Re: Chisel]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

So the anti knife movement begins...
Seriously guys, remember my condom principle? I'd rather have one ad not need it, then not have and need one? Even if you don't use your knife even once one on a score of trips go without it even once and see how many times you need it. Just my opinion, you're certainly welcome to yours.

#258967 - 04/12/13 04:58 PM Re: Retired knife .. LOL [Re: Chisel]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Chisel

BPJ,
you use your knife as a hammer ?
A Mora ??
And you use it as a spoon ???
Hope the young ones don't learn these bad habits.

I just reread that and it did sound pretty careless. I should have elaborated:

No Mora for me, yet. frown I've got a nice Ruko Muela 25-12, that I mostly use for food and wood.

Ruko Muela

A spoon - I'd never put a knife in my mouth. I do use it to scoop and stir hot chocolate when I forgot my spoon. I guess that's food prep though, isn't it? I very often use it to dig pine pitch out of trees. Is that wood processing?

Hammer - I have used the handle to bang in tent pegs when I couldn't find a rock. In my defense, I left it in the sheath, held it parallel to the ground, and hit the leg with the sheath not the actual knife handle. it's rubberized but I don't want to risk breaking it.

#258968 - 04/12/13 05:02 PM Re: Retired knife .. LOL [Re: Chisel]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

just thought of another one:

Building stuff out of metal and plastic garbage. I've used my knife and pop cans to make a hobo stoves and fishing lures. I've also used it to cut down plastic pop bottles to turn them into scoops. I also used it last week to cut off a piece of inner tube to make some ranger bands.

#258976 - 04/12/13 05:41 PM Re: Retired knife .. LOL [Re: Chisel]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Understanding that I am a Scout Master, an avid backpacker and camper, and do some of these activities for work, including teaching wilderness survival, I use my knife frequently. I generally carry three: a sheath knife or large folder, a Swiss Army Knife (the Ranger being my preferred model for the saw, leather working tools and metal file/saw), and a multi-tool. If I am going light, I may swap the regular multi-tool for a small one like the Squirt. How do I use my knife/knives?

Wood working (whittling, shaping for pioneering projects, cutting improvised tent stakes, primitive technology crafts, cutting rope and string, cutting wood for fire or shelter)

Food prep, especially fish and game

Repairing gear (sometimes you have to cut to cure)

Lighting fires (in conjunction with a Ferro Rod)

Digging

Clearing a spot for my tent or bed

Building stuff out of plastic or metal that is found (reiterating what Bacpacjac said)

I will also generally carry EMT shears, and encourage my scouts to do it as well (especially the younger ones). They will perform many cutting jobs, are one hand operation and entirely safe.

I am generally not too worried about a little extra weight. I also carry a pocket sharpener,I like the Smith's as it has the carbide, ceramic and a diamond rod. The carbide is only for repairing major damage to the edge as it removes a good bit of steel. I tend to use the ceramic frequently to maintain the edge and the diamond rod if the edge needs more work.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.