Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#258745 - 04/10/13 12:04 AM Is sewing a good skill...?
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Not just repair, but creating new stuff out of fabric...I'm starting to think its a good skill to know

#258749 - 04/10/13 12:24 AM Re: Is sewing a good skill...? [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I am just decent enough to sew rough repairs. I can't know everything so I work on skills that appear to me to have a bigger potential payoff. One of the reasons I can get away with that is that my wife is an accomplished seamstress. If she were not I'd likely want someone in my household to learn it.

#258752 - 04/10/13 12:41 AM Re: Is sewing a good skill...? [Re: TeacherRO]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
I'll have to ask the wife,think she has 5-6 machines,treadle to serger.

http://www.target.com/p/hello-kitty-sewing-machine-green-11706/-/A-10094055?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=|10094055&CPNG=Appliances&kpid=10094055&LID=PA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=10094055
==========================
Hello Kitty Janome sewing machine....119.00 Dollars

All kidding aside,this is a good machine,she bought many for gifts when a store folded years back for like 50 dollars each.Its a Janome and actually a capable machine.

============================
Enjoy creative stitching with the Hello Kitty Janome sewing machine. It has an easy stitch selector dial with 6 built-in stitches and buttonholes to create various designs that suit your needs. Its arm-free design gives you good control over the fabric and makes it easy to sew hard to reach areas like cuffs and collars. The buttonhole stitch function has a reverse stitch with lever to reinforce the seams of your clothing. Its 4-point feed-dog system ensures the fabric does not twist or run backward. The sewing machines easy lay-in threading function offers fail-proof needle insertion. Its snap-on foot system allows convenient operation. This free-arm sewing machine comes with a carry case with a handle for easy carrying. Plus, the sewing machine comes with needles, bobbins, a spool holder, a ripper and extra presser feet.

Adorable compact sewing machine—perfect for Hello Kitty fans grin —with 6 built-in stitches plus buttonhole
Features reverse stitch for reinforcing seams, easy lay-in threading system and 4-point feed-dog system to keep fabric feeding straight
Has a free-arm design for sewing hard-to-reach areas, a handle for simple moving from room to room and a snap-on foot system
Made of high-impact ABS resin; UL listed
10Hx5.62Wx12.75L"
Features: Heavy-Duty Metal Frame, Free Arm, Portable, Built-In Thread Cutter, Reverse Stitch, Built-In Storage, De-Clutch Bobbin Winder, Built-In Light, Quilting
Includes: Spool Holder, Needles, Extra Presser Feet, Carrying Case/Cover, Owner's Manual, Seam Ripper, Bobbins
Stitch Types: Buttonhole stitch
Number of Stitch Patterns: 8
Bobbin Type: Front Load
Buttonhole Steps: 4 Step
Presser Feet Included: Buttonhole Foot, Zig Zag Foot
Dimensions: 10.0 " H x 12.75 " W x 5.62 " D
Weight: 11.0 Lb.
Warranty Description: 5 Year Limited Warranty

guest rating
overall 4.5 of 5 stars
Easy to Use 5 of 5 stars
Quality 5 of 5 stars
Value 5 of 5 stars

#258753 - 04/10/13 12:44 AM Re: Is sewing a good skill...? [Re: TeacherRO]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Of course the BEST deals are thrift stores,can get awesome machines for 10 bucks and up.Her Husqvarna is a thrift store special,very nice.

#258756 - 04/10/13 01:21 AM Re: Is sewing a good skill...? [Re: spuds]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Sewing is extremely useful and surprisingly easy. I started using Frostline kits, which were developed with the novice seamstress/seamster in mind. I later sewed up some items from scratch - bivy sack, caving pack, FAK bag (which I am still using), small back pack. A sewing awl is great for minor mods and repairs, as well as stitching heavy fabrics (like leather).

Edited by hikermor (04/10/13 01:22 AM)

#258757 - 04/10/13 01:22 AM Re: Is sewing a good skill...? [Re: spuds]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
It's a good skill to have if you want to be a seamstress. I have no desire for that. If it comes down to me having to make my own clothes, duct tape will just have to do.

#258758 - 04/10/13 01:34 AM Re: Is sewing a good skill...? [Re: TeacherRO]
Eastree Offline
Journeyman

Sewing is very useful. I hardly know jack about the specifics, but if you can whip stitch, you can sew on a button, and do some basic mending and joining. If you know another kind of stitch (I don't know the name), even if it isn't a really consistent stitch, you can mend, repair, and create in many fabrics (assuming it's not a knit or something that needs special stitching or cutting according to something called a bias).

Right now I actually have a small project in progress: My girlfriend bought a small crossbow pistol for some back yard target shooting, and she needs a way to carry the bolts. I happen to have a worn out pair of jeans, so I'm making the end of a leg into a divided pouch with a button closure and strap loops to accommodate different types of slings or belt mounts.

Two kinds of stitches.

#258765 - 04/10/13 02:07 AM Re: Is sewing a good skill...? [Re: TeacherRO]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

It's an excellent skill to have. I grew up very poor and had to repair my own clothing and gear, plus surplus items I bought. When I got into martial arts I made a lot of my own gear. I still use sew to this day. Just keep at it until you get good and the stitching doesn't look like it's on frankenstiens monster. Good luck!

#258769 - 04/10/13 02:23 AM Re: Is sewing a good skill...? [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
When we joined Scouts, and started earning crests and badges, I rediscovered my ability to sew and, surprisingly (for a woman who hated Girl Guides when she was a kid, in part because we had to learn to sew) my enjoyment of it.

It's not pretty but I can fix stuff to make it last longer, alter stuff to make it better, and make stuff when I can't afford to buy it.

Sadly, I am only a hand sewer. The advanced technology of the sewing machine seems beyond me, as it was when I failed home ec in middle school.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#258772 - 04/10/13 02:34 AM Re: Is sewing a good skill...? [Re: TeacherRO]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Get a decent sewing machine, it's awesome. I've repaired lots of stuff that would otherwise be pain in the butt to do manually if even possible, plus every stitch is a lock stitch so even better.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.