The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#258696 - 04/08/13 04:35 PM Stove test revealed non-functional stove pump
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
I've had a stash of Coleman stove fuel since before Y2K and decided to test some of to see if it would still burn properly.

I have two Coleman Peak 1 single burner stoves so out on the back porch I put a few ounces of fuel in each (they'd been burned down to empty for storage in the past) and pumped.

The oldest one pumped up, started and ran fine.

The next one wouldn't pump up. Couldn't get the pump to 'catch' at all even with oiling.

So off to REI for a pump repair kit.
The blister pack kit was ready to go for the long-shaft pump with plastic collar. It had other parts for other stoves but disassembly and reassembly was required.

All I needed was the rubber cup and retaining washer.

The rubber cup on my stove pump had worn down to the point it wouldn't work. That stove did the workhorse job in many backpacking trips so saw a lot of use.

Learned- (1) replacing pump cup and washer required needle-nose pliers. My normal backpacking kit would not have had the tools to use these parts even if I'd carried them.
(2) blister packed kit pump shaft is too long for the single-burner stoves.
(3) Just because the pump was working when the stove was put away, you can't be sure it will run next time if there have been many strokes applied to it.
(4) I didn't pay much attention to oiling the pump that failed and it had had gas wash it out one time so lack of lube probably contributed to the failure
(5) Coleman sells cups and washers on their website for less than the kit at REI. The REI kit has many unneeded parts.
(6) the old gas seems to be ok, at least for burning 20 minutes' worth.
(7) The Coleman website shows 4 or 5 models of single-burner stoves and calls them out by Coleman part numbers. But those numbers aren't on the stoves themselves so you have to make the best guess you can. I found that several stoves had the same part number for pump cup so little risk to using that number.

Simple summary- test your stuff periodically, have spares, learn what it takes to install the spares.

#258715 - 04/09/13 02:08 PM Re: Stove test revealed non-functional stove pump [Re: unimogbert]
yee Offline

It is for this reason that I am coming to the conclusion that stashing away a kit for years is less than useful.

Having one "to be used" kit and a "to be stored" kit that is rotated gives automatic redundancy and automatic maintenance.

It guarantees that one is comfortable with the equipment and is able to use it when stressed.

It makes it more likely than when needed, the supplies will work and have not rotted away.

The cost is POSSIBLY extra weight.

Conway Yee

#258722 - 04/09/13 04:30 PM Re: Stove test revealed non-functional stove pump [Re: unimogbert]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
a reminder for the new guys and gals... if you have one of the double burner Coleman style stoves using Coleman fuel... a propane adapter and a couple of the 1# bottles might be a good back up, especially if you live in an area where the use is pretty frequent for power outages... if the base unit works on unleaded gasoline, or kero... much more better smile

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21nZrTOyxPL.jpg

#258733 - 04/09/13 08:29 PM Re: Stove test revealed non-functional stove pump [Re: LesSnyder]
yee Offline

Walmart sells a two burner stove cheaper than the coleman one "Ozark Trails". I use it with a 20lb propane canister when car camping. Does a great job!

I also have a Expedition x3 three burner stove purchased at Costco that also runs on propane canisters that I primarily use at home but is portable as well.

With two stoves and three canisters of propane, I am relatively prepared for the next Hurricane Sandy. (I have electric stove and a 1 week power failure with a failure of the home generator...the electric stove isn't on generator anyway).

I used the three burner Expedition stove with a 20lb canisters for cooking for each of the 1 week power failures CT had in the past year and a half.

Thanks
Conway Yee

#258740 - 04/09/13 11:13 PM Re: Stove test revealed non-functional stove pump [Re: yee]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Don't stash this stuff away...use it! What would you rather have at hand in an emergency - some shiny new gadget that you last handled eighteen months ago or ol' Reliable (the stove, knife,light, or whatever) tht you have been employing on your outdoor excursions regularly for the same period?

Nearly everything needs maintenance, resharpening, or whatever. That is all part of the true mastery of good tools and equipment.

I agree about the propane adapters for Coleman white gas stoves. I went to propane via the adapters years ago, and much prefer it to liquid gas. I keep the tanks around for increased versatility.

You say you don't camp out, or hike, or spend nights outdoors. My condolences!! There is still time.

#258741 - 04/09/13 11:26 PM Re: Stove test revealed non-functional stove pump [Re: hikermor]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Using them wears them out.

#258755 - 04/10/13 01:08 AM Re: Stove test revealed non-functional stove pump [Re: ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I still have, and could use, a Primus 71L white gas stove I purchased fifty years ago. Every twenty years r so, I replace an interior wick and a small o-ring. It has served me well when a stove was critical and I know it works, and its idiosyncrasies.

It has been superseded by a MSR Pocket Rocket (lighter and simpler) which has been my principal stove for about a decade.

Use your gear so that you know it. You will be glad you did when it is crunch time.

Of course, if you want a stove that is truly immortal, get an alkie, something like a Trangia. My oldest Trangia is only about thirty years old. It will easily outlast me unless an elephant steps on it, an event I would not survive either.

#258761 - 04/10/13 01:48 AM Re: Stove test revealed non-functional stove pump [Re: hikermor]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

wow you are a geezer lol, jk. I feel young now. I disagree hiker, use your gear aand have identical back ups. My survival Bowie has two identical twins who rest in storagein case it breaks or get's lost or taken. I also have several identical BOBs spaced around. Cool on your stove , that's one well made item.

#258794 - 04/10/13 10:10 AM Re: Stove test revealed non-functional stove pump [Re: ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

If you have reserves, you definitely have allthe bases covered, but that gets expensive after awhile, especially when you get to something like firearms. I've got one S&W and that's it.

#258798 - 04/10/13 12:29 PM Re: Stove test revealed non-functional stove pump [Re: unimogbert]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Unless Im going up Everest or to the antarctic/Sahara sand dunes I dont understand the stove business.

Ive never been unable to start fire with a Bic and twigs anywhere Ive tried.Mtns,desert,beach.

Maybe trekking thru snow,otherwise,real world bug out/camp out,a Bic does me fine.Bug in,stove makes practical sense IMO.

Look at the pioneers,explorers settling the Country,I didnt see em packing stoves,cookware yes.Fuel in some situations (wood,dung).

A stove is a luxury MOST of the time IMO.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 375 Guests and 66 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.