The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#258569 - 04/05/13 12:27 AM Re: FLASHLIGHT QUESTION [Re: ]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
In the Philips line, the specific 60W model I mentioned earlier is their top of the line model. It has a very high 92 CRI (color rendering index) and is a warm white (2700K, I believe). They are not cheap, though (close to $50 a year ago but they are gradually getting cheaper). Philips does have similar but cheaper models that are not as high CRI, and not quite as energy efficient, but still very good.

I do not like "daylight" color lights for inside the house because I don't like really bright illumination in most situations and warm white look best to my eyes at lower light levels. So 2700K is just fine for me. My 75W-equivalent is also 2700K. Sounds like Izzy has maybe 5000K bulbs.

To me, the biggest recent improvent is that these LED bulbs actually send light out in all directions. Early LED bulbs tended to be highly directional and really were only suitable as floodlights or accent lights. I use one in a reading lamp next to my bed, sometimes pointed at my lap, sometimes pointed at the ceiling for ambient light. Excellent for reading, no flicker or hum. Very easy on the eyes. The other LED is the ceiling light in the bathroom.

LED is perfect for the bathroom since that light gets turned off and on more than any other light in the house and LED is basically immune to frequent cycling on and off. There is a slight but noticeable delay in turning on when you hit the switch, but it's not a big deal. The 75W packaging says that it is not suitable for enclosed fixtures, but I have it in a fairly voluminous frosted glass fixture. I don't think it throws off enough heat to shorten its lifespan from overheating inside this fixture, but I'm prepared to see what happens. The 60W only gets warms to the touch while the 75W bulb does have small metal cooling fins built into the "stem" of the bulb and they get fairly hot.

Cree brand also has a new line of LED bulbs that I would like to try out, too, but haven't seen them in any stores yet. I believe they're close to the $10-15 range, so manufacturers are steadily reducing the price. Cree is a major LED manufacturer and their LED emitters are in most high powered LED flashlights that people talk about but I think this is their first foray into a consumer lightbulb.

If you want very bright light, though, LED is still not quite there. It might be more subjective than an absolute difference, but I don't think a "75W equivalent" LED looks as bright as an incandescent bulb to the eye. Then again, it only uses 13W of power.

#258570 - 04/05/13 01:10 AM Re: FLASHLIGHT QUESTION [Re: Russ]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Thanks Russ. The Fenix seems to be getting plenty of support the group here. That makes me give it serious consideration.

#258571 - 04/05/13 01:16 AM Re: FLASHLIGHT QUESTION [Re: ]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Not sure who made it Izzy. The guy at the show had a box of leftover supplies from a scout troop making kits. Got a firesteel, a little razor knife, a tiny saw amd a button compass I wouldn't risk her life on. There's no clamping device to keep it closed, just some tiny bumps to hook under the rim of the lid. I never trust anything that says waterproof unless I test thoroughly. Thats whu I had considered the plastic one with a rubber seal.

#258572 - 04/05/13 01:23 AM Re: FLASHLIGHT QUESTION [Re: Phaedrus]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Hey Phadreus. Thanks for the info. Like I said, I'm not a big flashlight guy. I was doubtful about the 9000 lumens, thinking they meant 900 or even 90. But I estimate a screaming 7 lumens. I'll slam it and Dollar General on my site.

#258574 - 04/05/13 01:29 AM Re: FLASHLIGHT QUESTION [Re: Roarmeister]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Nope roarmiester. It's a small 3 led model. At dollar Tree I bout a strange little one with three filament looking 3 AAA battery model that's not only slimmer but much brighter. Thanks for the link!

#258575 - 04/05/13 01:32 AM Re: FLASHLIGHT QUESTION [Re: chaosmagnet]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Thanks Chaos. Very informative and very mush appreciated. I'll check them out.

#258576 - 04/05/13 01:38 AM Re: FLASHLIGHT QUESTION [Re: Russ]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

That looks very interesting Russ. I like the design there but diameter could be an issue. Thanks for the link, I'll add it to the file of possibles.

#258577 - 04/05/13 01:43 AM Re: FLASHLIGHT QUESTION [Re: Arney]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

I've thought of led bulbs for my moms house. She kicked and screamed when I gave her CFL's. Now that's all she wants.

#258587 - 04/05/13 04:12 AM Re: FLASHLIGHT QUESTION [Re: ]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
Hey Phadreus. Thanks for the info. Like I said, I'm not a big flashlight guy. I was doubtful about the 9000 lumens, thinking they meant 900 or even 90. But I estimate a screaming 7 lumens. I'll slam it and Dollar General on my site.

Well, some of us are pretty bad flashlight junkies! grin You need to check out Candlepower forums sometime...

#258590 - 04/05/13 04:44 AM Re: FLASHLIGHT QUESTION [Re: Phaedrus]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor

Well, some of us are pretty bad flashlight junkies! grin You need to check out Candlepower forums sometime...
Nice site to kll time on,they know their business.
==============================
Dont slam Dollar General in toto,you can get some real bargains on products delivered free to your door.Great for many household items.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.