Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#258490 - 04/04/13 12:00 AM Re: FLASHLIGHT QUESTION [Re: ]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

That's true. I hadn't considered the interior dimensions of a plastic case. I picked up an altoids size tin at a gun show. It's two pieces with a gasket. My thought was to press it closed, sealed with a bead of silicone, then electrical tape. Possibly an over seal in a vacuum bag. I doubt she'll baby the kit like some of our customers do, so the more rugged it is, the better. I see major's surplus has a kit in a plastic box, "designed by a survialist for survivalists." Mhmm a survivalist who wastes space with a paracord bracelet instend of compressing it. Great tip Izzy. Thanks.

#258493 - 04/04/13 12:09 AM Re: FLASHLIGHT QUESTION [Re: ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I'm standing with ireckon wrt AAA lights. The purpose of the light is to give you a little light in a small package. I want a simple light with moderate lumen output that has some staying power. A Fenix E01 would fill this niche nicely.

#258494 - 04/04/13 12:12 AM Re: FLASHLIGHT QUESTION [Re: ]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

No, it's a silverish color wit seperate lid and an off white gasket. No manufactuers marking of any type, Kind of generic. I also bought some survival stickers with tips like signaling and personal info etc.

#258501 - 04/04/13 02:17 AM Re: FLASHLIGHT QUESTION [Re: ]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
The Fenix E01 is an awesome little light in my opinion. I use one for EDC on my keychain (a role where I can't tolerate anything bigger). It's not super potent but it's sufficient to change a tire, unlock a door, etc. The INOVA keychain lights are also very nice, as is the Photon, but I'm not a huge fan of squeeze lights for EDC. The ones that don't have a constant-on are useless to me most of the ones that do are liable to activate while in my pocket, rendering the batteries dead when I need them.

Certainly 9000 lumens is optimistic for a small light! I have a two hundred dollar Surefire weapon light and it's "only" 500 lumens! I can't imagine how any small light could put out that kind of light with present technology and within the known laws of physics.

#258504 - 04/04/13 03:58 AM Re: FLASHLIGHT QUESTION [Re: ]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
Hey all,
A note on flashlights here. I bought a small rubber coated AAA model. On the package it clearly said IDEAL FOR EMERGENCY/SURVIVAL KITS. It also claimed 9000 lumens twice, front and back. It is manufactured by Vibe. I put batteries in it, new alkilines, and waited until it was dark and expected to light up the great room like it was daylight. "Old batteries," Bunny suggested and Tomboy rolled on the couch laughing. Three different sets of batteries later we compared it to the 5 lumen Everready head lamp I had bought anf the flashlight was barely brighter. So I strongly suggest caution when considering any VIBE product from Dollar General or any other source.
Thanks in advance for your help.

I wonder -- was this the flashlight you might be referring to? A 9 LED light?

http://www.gearxs.com/Vibe-Essentials-2-Flashlights-Ultra-Bright-9LED-Assorted-Aluminum-Flashlights

#258522 - 04/04/13 02:05 PM Re: FLASHLIGHT QUESTION [Re: ]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I have a number of 1xAAA lights, and as you might imagine, I have opinions about them.

• Fenix E01 -- Very inexpensive, bulletproof, long runtime. Output isn't bad, beam tint varies from poor to awful. I have them practically everywhere.
  • ThruNite Ti -- Same price point as the E01 and same runtime on low (or even more with the Moonlight version) but also has the capacity for significantly more output if needed. I'd rather have the Ti over the E01 for the beam tint even if I don't need the multiple output levels. It's a bit hard to get it to turn on in low (or moonlight) mode without accidentally overrunning it and going to high, which can have a negative impact on your night vision.
  • Preon ReVO -- Other than the fact that it isn't made any more and has a much higher price point, for me it's the perfect AAA light. All the runtime of the E01 and Ti but with several output modes. It's also noticeably smaller, has "hidden" disco modes if you want those, has the best keyring attachment point I've ever seen on a AAA. If you can find one, get it.
  • Preon 1 -- Not quite as small as the ReVO, but with similar runtime and output options. It's also less expensive and in current production. I like mine a heck of a lot.
  • Fenix E05 -- I don't have one of these. Everyone seems to like them a lot, and at the price point difference between this and the E01 I would definitely get the E05. Between the E05 and the Ti, for myself I'd rather have two output levels than one. If you want a single level, inexpensive AAA with a nice tint, I'd say it can't be beat.
  • Klarus Mi series -- I don't have any of these. I hear good things about them, and if you're looking for a high-performance AAA very much like what the ReVO was, I'd suggest you look into it.

#258526 - 04/04/13 02:55 PM Re: FLASHLIGHT QUESTION [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
A light I almost forgot is the Peak AAA LED. I have an earlier version and it's very much like the Arc LED lights. This is the light I keep in my Mission Wallet.

#258558 - 04/04/13 08:41 PM Re: FLASHLIGHT QUESTION [Re: ]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
It also claimed 9000 lumens twice, front and back.

Just for comparison, I recently bought one of the new Philips brand 75 watt-equivalent LED lightbulbs and that claims an output of 1,100 lumens.

(I'm very satisfied with the Philips LED lights they have come out with lately, by the way, starting with the Philips 423244 60W-equivalent bulb.)

#258564 - 04/04/13 10:55 PM Re: LED Lightbulbs [Re: ]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Are they really 75 watt equiv bulbs,and price you paid? How are they on eyes,fixtures you use them in?

Thanks,subject dear to my heart,would love to hear your experiences.
---------------------
Looks like Peaks tech might make it into other lights?

#258566 - 04/04/13 11:35 PM Re: LED Lightbulbs [Re: ]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Thanks Izzy.I noticed same when I went from incandescent to CFL.Dropped my ceiling fan with four bulbs from 400 watts to 108,thats a noticeable savings.

Im going to have to look at the Phillips I see.How many watts are they?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 430 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.