The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#258472 - 04/03/13 07:45 PM FLASHLIGHT QUESTION
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Hey all,
I'm putting togethather an altoids size psk for a relative who is going to be entering the military. From time to time I'll be asking questions of the brain trust here for advice and on certain items which will be included in it. This thime it's flashelights. What I'm looking for is a TINY flashlight. It must use AAA batteries so I can include the ones with a ten year shelf life. It must be LED and it must give the same amount of light or greater than the ultra inifinity light with a single alkiline A battery. Spare colored Lenses would be a welcome bonus. I saw a fenix lite in a catalog that I could possibly slim dowm and shorten a bit with my old pen lathe in a catalog but there was no mention of lumens and it was half inch diameter, the same as thier single A. Far too thick for such a small container.
A note on flashlights here. I bought a small rubber coated AAA model. On the package it clearly said IDEAL FOR EMERGENCY/SURVIVAL KITS. It also claimed 9000 lumens twice, front and back. It is manufactured by Vibe. I put batteries in it, new alkilines, and waited until it was dark and expected to light up the great room like it was daylight. "Old batteries," Bunny suggested and Tomboy rolled on the couch laughing. Three different sets of batteries later we compared it to the 5 lumen Everready head lamp I had bought anf the flashlight was barely brighter. So I strongly suggest caution when considering any VIBE product from Dollar General or any other source.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by Snake_Doctor (04/03/13 08:08 PM)

#258476 - 04/03/13 08:26 PM Re: FLASHLIGHT QUESTION [Re: ]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Thanks, Izzy.
There are a lot of snake docs out there since that semi amusing series aired.I had the name long before the guy wrote the book. Never have found out where he heard the name. It replaced my old nick which got a little too well known for my comfort. I'll check out the kit you made. The Vibe light was three triple A batteries. I'll try and take a pic of the package and post it. Don't know a lot about flashlights, just that I want 'em to work when I need 'em and that I can buy the batteries at 7-11 24/7.
Thanks again for all your advice. Like the new pic.
Post Script: Nice kit you made. But I couldn't get the movie to play. The E05 Is my first consideration. Smaller size, longer run time and a bit brighter would be nice.

Edited by Snake_Doctor (04/03/13 08:36 PM)

#258478 - 04/03/13 08:44 PM Re: FLASHLIGHT QUESTION [Re: ]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I have little use for the brightness conversation when talking about AAA lights. It always leads to disappointment because we all have bigger lights that are way brighter.

So, if you want something that is boringly reliable and infinitely better than no light at all, then I can vouch for Fenix E01. Fenix has other AAA lights that are brighter, but this is the AAA light I have. I actually don't want my AAA light to be too bright because someone is bound to borrow the light at some point, keep it cranked on to the max, and quickly drain the battery. I just want my AAA light to work, and the E01 just works.

#258479 - 04/03/13 08:57 PM Re: FLASHLIGHT QUESTION [Re: ireckon]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Thanks Ireckon. Hopefully I've instilled enough sense in her not to be opening the kit except in a emergency. (One reason I won't mention the hundred dollar bill buried way down in the bottom. LOL.

#258480 - 04/03/13 09:05 PM Re: FLASHLIGHT QUESTION [Re: ]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
What I'm looking for is a TINY flashlight. It must use AAA batteries so I can include the ones with a ten year shelf life.

The Ultralife Lithium U9VL-J 9V battery has a 10 year storage capacity.

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=176514&page=1

Pak-lite LED heads can be swapped out for Red, IR Pak-lites etc if required.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (04/03/13 09:06 PM)

#258482 - 04/03/13 09:42 PM Re: FLASHLIGHT QUESTION [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Thanks for the in fo Am_Fear. Will definently go into the consideration file.

#258483 - 04/03/13 10:03 PM Re: FLASHLIGHT QUESTION [Re: ]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Hey Izzy. Saw the video until it froze. Nice, compact kit. Like the capsule you used. While I like in the air tonight by Phil collins I think it might be more informative to the newbs to have the model actually explaining what he's showing. Just my humble opinion.

#258485 - 04/03/13 11:12 PM Re: FLASHLIGHT QUESTION [Re: ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
A Feni LD01 fits nicely in an Altoids and mine could be easily trimmed. The brightest level is something like 70 lumens (real lumens that is). Mine is on my keyring and I would not hesitate to use it on a night hike as my primary light. Two lower light levels allow me to extend battery life.

You might post your question on Candlepower Forums. You will get lots of good suggestions there, including some custom makes.

#258486 - 04/03/13 11:28 PM Re: FLASHLIGHT QUESTION [Re: ]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Hmmm... unless his voice is as distivtive as mine is I doubt he has to worry about speaking. The face I can understand. I myself am extremely camera shy. Some told me there's apelican type case the size of an altoids for kayakers, have you seen one?

#258487 - 04/03/13 11:30 PM Re: FLASHLIGHT QUESTION [Re: hikermor]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Thanks hiker. Sounds interesting. The smaller the light the more room I'll have to work with. I never even heard of the forum you mentioned. I'll check it out. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.