Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#249361 - 08/01/12 08:49 PM Re: Overloading the system...and you!! [Re: AKSAR]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Originally Posted By: AKSAR

It is always easier to modify an existing plan to fit the circumstances, rather than to start from scratch under extreme duress.
I have to agree with that thought

#249375 - 08/02/12 12:33 AM Re: Overloading the system...and you!! [Re: TeacherRO]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
I have been involved in disaster work of one form or another for over 50 years. I don't plan for a disaster.....

I plan multiple contingencies, each an individual component to be selected as the problem unfolds.

Communications, Medical, Shelter and so forth are components. Even if I am mentally confused, I can revert to the training for a particular component.

I do make lists... lots of lists. Sometimes I even use them. The most useful describe short tasks. How to set up a radio system. Which items I need to grab and go.

I break it all into the smallest manageable tasks, then practice the task and document it well.

After an event, I spend quite a bit of time compiling an "After Action Report". The military taught me how valuable it can be. I even write them down formally, like it was going to be sent somewhere. It forces me to examine each component I used, how I planned to use it, how I really did use it and what worked and what did not.

All that may seem a bit obsessive, but it always seems to be worth the effort. I am constantly amazed at how poorly I perform as opposed to how I think I will perform. But then I try to set very high standards. Gives me room to improve.

Nomad

#250380 - 08/28/12 09:30 PM Re: Overloading the system...and you!! [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Everyone on the Gulf coast is busy buying waters, d cells and raincoats...all on the day before the Hurrcane

#252858 - 11/04/12 08:01 PM Re: Overloading the system...and you!! [Re: Nomad]
corpsman Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Nomad
"Even if I am mentally confused, I can revert to the training for a particular component. "

Nomad

I don't remember who said it or what the exact words were, but here's my version: We don't rise to the occasion, we revert (or fall) to our level of training.

#252881 - 11/05/12 12:29 PM Re: Overloading the system...and you!! [Re: corpsman]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Originally Posted By: corpsman
Originally Posted By: Nomad
"Even if I am mentally confused, I can revert to the training for a particular component. "

Nomad

I don't remember who said it or what the exact words were, but here's my version: We don't rise to the occasion, we revert (or fall) to our level of training.
Seen it on a few forums,very true,concise and such excellent advice as it fits so many circumstances.

Weve used it to plan and practice things we had never even thought of running thru beforehand.

Having a plan pop into your head instead of having to brainstorm one under stress.....thats just a good thing.

#253681 - 11/22/12 05:49 PM Re: Overloading the system...and you!! [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The day before Thanksgiving shopping always reminds me -- Plan ahead. Even one day and there is more product and less rush. A good reason to pay attention to the weather reports. ( and calendar)

#258382 - 03/30/13 07:41 PM Re: Overloading the system...and you!! [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

One place to see this is raincoats and umbrellas...as soon as it rains, stores sell out.

#258439 - 04/01/13 11:46 AM Re: Overloading the system...and you!! [Re: TeacherRO]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
It is almost always best to have thought out some things up front. An emergency is not the best time to be thinking about what to do.

Having said that, these situations tend to be pretty fluid and you also need some flexibility in your thinking.

Bob

#258440 - 04/01/13 01:59 PM Re: Overloading the system...and you!! [Re: TeacherRO]
Pete Offline
Veteran

"Both kinds are easily avoided by good planning."

Yes agree. what I've realized that I need to do is to go thru my garage and hi-grde all my camping and survival gear. Then get it packed in Ready To Go (RTG) boxes. So I have one box for cooking items, one box for sleeping items, one box for medical etc. That way there is no "decision fatigue" or forgetting of critical items. I can throw these boxes in the back of a vehicle and be ready in 10 mins.

That's the goal, anyway :-)

Pete2

#258443 - 04/01/13 03:32 PM Re: Overloading the system...and you!! [Re: TeacherRO]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
the second kind of overload is where a large scale system is overloaded - Like trying to shop for groceries the day before thanksgiving. Or trying to find bottled water as a storm approaches.
It's often a consequence of efficiency. The more efficient a system is, the less slack there is to take up when the load varies. If a system is running at 75%, when the load varies you can push it up to 100% briefly and adsorb the extra with overloading. If it is running at 95%, there's no spare slack and it will get overloaded and fail. Efficiency and robustness are opposed.

Many stores now stock on a "just in time" system. It saves them money by not having stock sitting around not selling itself, but means if there is a transport disruption they will sell out surprisingly quickly.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.