Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#258447 - 04/01/13 05:47 PM Re: Major Evacuation - How Far, How Many? [Re: Pete]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
An experience I had with those tires.I have the Dodge truck Bud has,mine a couple years newer,in fact he is reason I bought the truck,he talked me into it.Glad I listened,smart man he is.

Anyhow,went up North to help him fix his backhoe,out in a field.It rained the entire time.

The field had some kinda grass,when you walked on it water would raise like 1/4 inch or so around your boots. He said no way could my truck go there.So I walked it,didnt seem too bad.Pulled front tires off the dirt road and rested front of truck,didnt sink in much,so i drove on out,he was convinced no way I could do that. It just growled right on out there,no drama at all.4-HIGH

Then I needed to back around to get nose of truck to hoe so we could use my battery to jump Hoe. I backed into an area with standing water and no ground cover,just mud.Sunk in a bit more like almost 3/4 to rim but again pulled right around and back into the ground covered area,no drama at all.

By then he was just astounded.He drives more standard tread tires and says no way could he get his truck out there,in Better conditions than we went out.

Dang good tires!

And I dont profess to be Joe Expert 4 wheeler,Im just a schmuck and admit it.

#258450 - 04/01/13 10:01 PM Re: Major Evacuation - How Far, How Many? [Re: Pete]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The only negative about those tires is they affected my fuel economy, My Chevy truck MPG dropped down to that of the Toyota truck.
My parents were up this weekend and my father was looking over my tires, he knows when I get new ones I keep the old for him to use on the farm. I put them on at 30k and now have 115k on my truck and they still have plenty of tread left so it may still be anther year or two before he gets them.
But I can drive up snow covered mountains in WV in 2wd watching other 4x4 and AWD vehicles spinning and slipping.

#258451 - 04/02/13 12:18 AM Re: Major Evacuation - How Far, How Many? [Re: Pete]
Pete Offline
Veteran

My fuel economy of my large Jeep is already shot to pieces. When I go to replace tires, I'll look into the ones recommended by Spuds.

Spuds - I'm going to start looking at route alternates out of the L.A. Basin where a 4x4 might actually be an advantage. That could be a really useful thin to know. If you've got any ideas, please do send a PM.

cheers,
Pete2

#258453 - 04/02/13 12:41 AM Re: Major Evacuation - How Far, How Many? [Re: Pete]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I have the same ones BFG AT's.

The other advantage is they are 6-8 ply depending on which model, I was always poking holes in the 2 ply P rated tires that my truck came with. I went to D rated and don't even have to add air when I load on the camper.

#258455 - 04/02/13 12:50 AM Re: Major Evacuation - How Far, How Many? [Re: Pete]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

One idea are the powerline roads.

15 from Cajon north has a lot of parallel routes in the dirt with roads fine for 4x4,and staying on road 2 wheel is fine.

395 and 4x4 you can skirt alongside a long ways as the side dirt is well packed,I havent done that but I was looking last time we went to Kramer Junction then west on our trips to the coast.

The high desert is loaded with easy Jeep roads from offroaders that have played for years within site of 15,a mile or so in,more so on east side that Im aware of,so if you got stuck on 15 North its possible to drive right off in spots to side roads or past blockages on freeway.Cajon to Barstow,....we have property north of Victorville and the dirt roads and powerline road IS the access.Watch that loose sand though,stick to the rockier brown red colored stuff its well packed.There is also side roads in Devore area north on both sides.

For camp grounds look at city,county and state parks,we have a bunch of em and bugging out to a place from wilderness to powered sites works real well,we spent 2 weeks bugged out at Mohave Narrows,great place it was,power water and toilets and no pet issues.
======================================
I cant speak on tire mileage ( but I dont discount it,being 'sticky' tires),I know (well Heard anyhow) the gasoline and diesel doesnt have the power they had a few years back.Wonder if thats a lot of what we see on that? In any event Im willing to pay that premium.Ive noticed since diesel change Ive lost about 1.5 MPG? Is that it or other things Ive done,maybe both? Dont know,any experts on fuel,or well read novices to comment?

#258462 - 04/02/13 02:38 PM Re: Major Evacuation - How Far, How Many? [Re: Pete]
Pete Offline
Veteran

spuds - thanks. very good suggestion.
i'll start checking it.

Pete2

#258463 - 04/02/13 07:57 PM Re: Major Evacuation - How Far, How Many? [Re: Pete]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Hey spuds - follow up. I've been looking at the dirt roads over the mtn's near L.A. Have you ever driven up any of the "Fire Roads" over the hills? Are these open? Some of these could offer some useful alternatives, but not sure the entrances are accessible.

Pete2

#258464 - 04/02/13 08:57 PM Re: Major Evacuation - How Far, How Many? [Re: Pete]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Go figure! One route by me was a pretty good road 2 wheelers easy,for whatever reason they came and put boulders across the entrance since 'they werent going to pay for upkeep' anymore. Now thats a loss.

Then my neighbor,the trail guy,was going to take us on some tours with us following him that were of the easier kind and danged if they didnt just move before he had the chance.Easy enough for his old CJ-3 but he and son would also wench his along where the Jeep Rubicons travel,he knew his stuff.

You are so right,fire roads are a good idea.

I must look into that,there are maps available I hear too.

Thanks for the reminder.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.