Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#258338 - 03/30/13 03:21 AM Major Evacuation - How Far, How Many?
Pete Offline
Veteran

Hi Folks

I'm looking for some input here on how Americans behave during major evacuations of large cities. I've been doing some SHTF planning for my family - this includes working out some places where we could camp or stay in a motel for a few weeks if our huge city (So California) was evacuated. However, I realized that my thinking probably has major errors because I've never been thru a major evacuation of an American city. I'd like to hear some stories, especially from folks that been evacuated from places like Florida, Texas or other areas - e.g. due to major hurricanes.

1. How far do people have to travel to get to motels that still have vacancies? If a large city pours out en masse - how far do these people spread out?

2. What kinds of unexpected problems happen along evacuation routes ... like gas stations being out-of-gas, drivers doing crazy stuff, lines of traffic stalled for hours etc ?

3. Are there any items that are helpful to throw in your car during a mass evacuation that might not be obvious?

thanks,
Pete2

#258339 - 03/30/13 03:40 AM Re: Major Evacuation - How Far, How Many? [Re: Pete]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
This is something which needs to be worked out with family and friends. We have a fledgling social network going and some of us are spread out so there are places even outside the city where we could bug out. Boarding accommodations will be tight.

My roommate will be getting sixty acres of land once the legal headaches are dealt with. I may have to take Camping 101.

Jeanette Isabelle

#258356 - 03/30/13 11:06 AM Re: Major Evacuation - How Far, How Many? [Re: Pete]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Pete,I think camping is a good option.

Most of us know and are equipped for that,keep those gas tanks on vehicles topped up always as much as possible and gas shouldnt be an issue.

#258357 - 03/30/13 11:14 AM Re: Major Evacuation - How Far, How Many? [Re: Pete]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
from a Floridian's viewpoint.... "run from the water, and hide from the wind" has been the state's policy for the last couple of seasons... flee from coastal tide surge if you are vulnerable, and plan your routes away from freshwater rivers as they typically are fed by extremely large run off areas, are relatively narrow, and easily expand over the banks with the increase in runoff....as population centers are clustered around the water, this often blocks major roadways... other than the St Johns, they typically run east and west to the coasts...where I live, US highway 19 parallels the coast, and everything to the west will be under water from coastal flooding... depending on the proposed track of the storm, most experienced Floridians have a plan devised according to the Saffir Simpson scale for storms... I plan on riding out up to a Cat 3 (my old house has been 125mph+)... as far a evacuation, most try to seek refuge with friends or relatives with newer homes constructed after Hurricane Andrew and the resulting change in the building codes requiring hurricane clips on roof trusses, and reinforced double garage doors... (during Andrew (Cat5 with gusts over 170mph) when the double wide garage doors of attached garages gave way, the roof of the home typically followed....those that move away from the coast probably 20 to 50 miles inland... of course during the 04/05 season, Polk county in the middle of the state had all three run right over the top of it in a couple month's time... we have very good Doppler radar coverage, and experience track forecasts... there are a lot of variables...if you live in the Keys, your options are quite different than mine... regards

#258358 - 03/30/13 11:57 AM Re: Major Evacuation - How Far, How Many? [Re: Pete]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Per my hurricane experiences:

Either leave the city early and get out ahead of the herd, or wait 12-24 hrs for the herd to pass and then get on the road. I prefer to leave by highway for at least the first hundred miles and then cross an interstate to see if it's flowing or if it's a parking lot.

You'll want to keep your gas tanks topped off prior to an evacuation being called.

It can be 300-500 miles before a hotel can be found, depending on the size of population that's been ordered.

Camper owners fare best because the daily camping rate is miniscule compared to a hotel daily or weekly rate. Pets are usually not a problem with campsites. (BTW: LaQuinta is a pet friendly hotel chain). Food costs are much cheaper with a camper versus dining out somewhere for every meal.

Plan on several different places to evacuate to depending on the type of threat, it's forecast direction of travel (hurricanes, tornado's), or based on wind direction (nuke accident, wild fires, hazMat incident), and always consider the proximity of extended family and good friends in relation to proposed evacuation locations.

#258360 - 03/30/13 01:43 PM Re: Major Evacuation - How Far, How Many? [Re: Pete]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...

#258363 - 03/30/13 02:15 PM Re: Major Evacuation - How Far, How Many? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have a question - these evacuations discussed above all deal with hurricanes or major hurricane-like storms (Sandy). Those are all but unknown in Los Angeles - there is a record of one storm reaching the LA area in 1924 or so, but it was a puny little thing.

In Southern California, the disasters of choice are wildfires and earthquakes. I suspect evacuation in the aftermath of a really major earthquake (8.0 or so) would be very difficult with broken freeways, landslides etc. My general strategy is to shelter in place, essentially camping out where the backyard used to be. Obviously evacuation of an urban the size of LA will be a huge undertaking, if indeed it would be the best strategy.

The Southern California area has a long record of wildfire prompted evacuations. The problems with them are fairly trivial.

#258365 - 03/30/13 02:17 PM Re: Major Evacuation - How Far, How Many? [Re: Pete]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Wildman - thanks. a lot of good tips there.

Pete2

#258368 - 03/30/13 02:53 PM Re: Major Evacuation - How Far, How Many? [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
hikermor and I are in agreement, but I need to toss in bridges. Being stuck with no way back after a major earthquake is the reason my truck is always prepared for an overnight or four.

As for wildfires, where I'm located they are either small and easily contained, or they start well to the east and are blown by Santa Ana winds, and may take a week to become a direct threat. With plenty of warning I pack the truck for evacuation and then wait and wait and wait...

As for how far, in the case of an earthquake I hope to have enough water to hold out until utilities are restored -- not going anywhere. Then again, if it's really big (8.0+) utilities could take a while. In this case I could find myself leaving SOCAL and visiting friends/family in PNW.

For wildfires you just need to get out of the path if you need to get out at all. In this case my first stop would be get a room nearby work. If my house becomes a casualty, I'm visiting friends/family in the PNW. I've never had to evacuate.

#258371 - 03/30/13 03:21 PM Re: Major Evacuation - How Far, How Many? [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
You are absolutely right about bridges. I keep thinking about the unfortunate motorcycle patrolman who, speeding to his duty station right after the 1994 Northridge quake, found out that a major overpass had crumpled - the hard way.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, Ren), 394 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.