Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#258139 - 03/27/13 12:47 PM Re: The thing that clips two gloves together? [Re: Bingley]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Based on my personal experience and this is IAW MoBob's advice about safety, look at Grainger's Catalog #403; page 2457; bottom of the page, at Glove Clips. They come as a double clip (my preference) or as a belt clip. Colors are lime or Black. Item nr's are E5404 and E5405 and they sale for $5.01 ea. www.grainger.com

I have and do use the double clips and like them very much.

Usual discaimer, i have no affiliation with Grainger.

#258188 - 03/27/13 08:07 PM Re: The thing that clips two gloves together? [Re: Bingley]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: 62208
I have a few. Would you like one? I have no use for them.

#258197 - 03/27/13 08:47 PM Re: The thing that clips two gloves together? [Re: Bingley]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Thanks, sybert, for the generous offer. I've placed an order already, so I think I'll be OK. Besides, hopefully the weather will finally warm up! But then that means I'll have to make sure to keep my gloves together for next winter.

#258200 - 03/27/13 09:04 PM Re: The thing that clips two gloves together? [Re: Bingley]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Bingley, I intended to make an idiot string for mitts this winter, Bing, but since I was hibernating it fell off my radar. Thanks for the reminder. Ideally I'd like to have each mitt be clipped to the string that goes through my sleeves. These clips could work very well. Thanks for the idea!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#258201 - 03/27/13 09:08 PM Re: The thing that clips two gloves together? [Re: Bingley]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Most kids clothing stores in this neck of the woods sell little elastic straps with clips on them. They're like tiny suspenders to clip the mitts to coat sleeves. One would probably work well enough to keep a pair together, but they'd be a bit dangly and there'd probably be more chance that you could lose one since there is no actual ring to security them.

#258202 - 03/27/13 09:12 PM Re: The thing that clips two gloves together? [Re: hikermor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Old safety officer chiming in here. I wonder how good it is to have any kind of a clip, or even rings, attached to gloves you would be wearing. They could catch on objects and potentially cause problems. Would depend on the environment in which they are used.

This comment is worth every dime you paid for it......

One of the advantages of the clips on mitts, in my experience, is that they're not very heavy duty plastic and will brake, or at least bend and release, under pressure. Maybe hit your local second hand store and see if they have a pair of kids mitts with the clip still attached. Might cost a couple of bucks?

#258260 - 03/29/13 04:06 AM Re: The thing that clips two gloves together? [Re: bacpacjac]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

I'm not positive,but the device you are talking about is, I believe, the basis for the term: dummy cord.

#258263 - 03/29/13 05:17 AM Re: The thing that clips two gloves together? [Re: Bingley]
widget Offline
Addict

Something on this page would work

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/snap%20hooks.html

#258300 - 03/29/13 06:27 PM Re: The thing that clips two gloves together? [Re: Bingley]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Idiot mittens...lol The artic mittens issued in Alaska had the string that ran from mitten up your arm, across your shoulders and down the other arm to that mitten. You could take off one and not worry about losing it or dropping it.

Dummy cord was para cord tied to a weapon or gadget so you wouldn't lose it.

#258305 - 03/29/13 07:33 PM Re: The thing that clips two gloves together? [Re: JBMat]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: JBMat
Idiot mittens...lol The artic mittens issued in Alaska had the string that ran from mitten up your arm, across your shoulders and down the other arm to that mitten. You could take off one and not worry about losing it or dropping it.

Dummy cord was para cord tied to a weapon or gadget so you wouldn't lose it.

You can run the mitten strings up through your parka sleeves, which works OK as long as you are wearing your parka all the time, as when it is very cold. If you don't run it up the sleeves, but have the string outside over your shoulders, then it is always catching on things, which can be a hassle.

In many situations, you will often want to shed the parka when working hard, like when humping up a big climb. In that case, the string through the sleeves also becomes a pain in the rear. You have to take your parka off, fuss with the string to put your mittens or gloves back on, then do the same thing when you get to the top in the wind and you want your parka on again.

An overall better approach, in my opinion, is to have a short loop attached to each mitten and put the loop around your wrist. When you need to use your fingers, you just slip the mitten off and let it hang by the loop. When you shed your parka, it is easy to take the mitten and loop off in one motion. If you don't want to wear your gloves at all for a bit you can clip the loops to a small 'biner on your pack so you don't loose them. Some gloves and mittens, like the last ones I got at REI, come with the loops already in place with a cordlock for easy adjustment around your wrist.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 184 Guests and 48 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.