Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#258221 - 03/28/13 03:08 PM Re: Victorinox knife [Re: billn]
widget Offline
Addict

Victorinox Farmer is what I have carried for over 30 years. Bombproof knife.

#258242 - 03/28/13 08:32 PM Re: Victorinox knife [Re: billn]
DavidEnoch Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Texas
I want to be able to cut wire. Wire and aluminum or steel cans seem to be some of the most useful trash that I often come across.
That's why I carry a multi-tool instead of a SAK.

David Enoch

#258257 - 03/29/13 02:50 AM Re: Victorinox knife [Re: billn]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
This is the knife I want to carry in the woods.....a Victorinox Huntsman. I have a red one, but I really like this hunter green model. In reality, I always carry either a Leatherman Wave or a Leatherman Super Tool 200 because the tools are much more robust than most folding knives. I like the pliers on the LM, and I like the tweezers and toothpick on the Vics.

Attachments
hunter.JPG (335 downloads)

#258321 - 03/29/13 09:21 PM Re: Victorinox knife [Re: billn]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
A former Ranger I know says expensive knives are hugely over rated and he cringes at what folks spend on em.His take is to assess quality as ample and goes from there.Says he wants several knives,not one for same budget.

Just a thought to throw out into the inter space....FWIW. Im not knocking anyones choices.

In my case I have a few simple folders in SS that are tight and have held up well for years.Once I got a decent diamond sharpener these are really good utility knives.

Ford vrs Rolls Royce tho....not Ford vrs Yugo.

PS,I wouldnt mind a really nice knife,but I have a budget,Im not getting younger and survival has different meanings in where we are in life.

#258326 - 03/29/13 10:29 PM Re: Victorinox knife [Re: spuds]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
In knives, just like backpacks, stoves, and all kinds of consumer commodities, you will have at least three major classes of items 1) cheap, worthless junk 2) moderately priced, workable items representing good value 3) highly priced, exotic, high performance goods with prices to match. Yugos, VW beetles, and Lamborghini's.

I don't know how many times I have read Consumer's Reports articles in which the high priced item was indeed the bet performing, but rated only slightly below was another brand costing a fraction of the higher price and thereby earning their Best Buys rating.

Sometimes the higher priced items are worth their cost for specialized applications, but it all depends. I have always been willing to spend top dollar for climbing rope and I am glad I did. For knives, I have been happy with Moras and Buck for nearly all of my applications

#258344 - 03/30/13 07:37 AM Re: Victorinox knife [Re: widget]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: widget
Victorinox Farmer is what I have carried for over 30 years. Bombproof knife.

Hard to beat the Farmer for just general use! It has most of the blades/functions you need with very few that you don't. I'll probably always have a few Alox Farmers in my collection.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.