Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#258018 - 03/25/13 08:25 PM PLB or GPS?
LeeG Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I have been doing several of the short hikes around the Phoenix area over the past few years. My hiking partner and I are planning on some longer point-to-point hikes through the Superstition Mountains, still single day hikes, but longer, sunrise-sunset type hikes. I have good topo maps of the area we will be hiking and a good compass. I am planning some longer overnight hikes for this fall after the weather cools back down. I have a bit of extra cash that Uncle Sam decided to let me keep, so I was pondering getting either a plb or a GPS. The PLB would be one of the ACR ResQLink and GPS would probably be a Garmen.

My pack currently contains: maps, compass, fire steel, rei matches, lighter, tinder, hydration bladder (3L), Ritter PSK, heat sheet, bivy sack, first aid kit, blister kit, some emergency bars, 10' rope, 50' para cord, headlamp, flashlight, poncho, fleece jacket, sun screen, extra socks, EESE 4 knife, leatherman, whistle, and spare batteries. I also carry my iPhone and a camera.

For this hike, I'll be bringing 4-6 liters of water (12 miles with no water sources) plus the usual trail food. I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions.
Lee

#258020 - 03/25/13 08:38 PM Re: PLB or GPS? [Re: LeeG]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
What is the nature of the your cellphone coverage in that area? That would a key factor. I imagine you are planning to do these trips fairly soon. By May the Supes get pretty toasty.

The storm predicted for this coming weekend should wet things down fairly well.

Your gear list looks pretty good. What is ten feet of rope for?

I don't believe you mentioned a signal mirror. Take about five minutes and learn to use it. Well worth it, especially in the American Southwest.

Edited by hikermor (03/25/13 08:43 PM)

#258026 - 03/25/13 10:04 PM Re: PLB or GPS? [Re: LeeG]
LeeG Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I have a signal mirror in my PSK. The rope is something I have used a few times to help or be helped on the short sections of the trail that involve short but vertical climbs.

I really can't afford both a plb and a GPS at the moment. I can and have gotten by without either so far. There is decent cell coverage over large portions of this trail, but not so much on some others I will be doing.

#258029 - 03/25/13 10:28 PM Re: PLB or GPS? [Re: LeeG]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Anyone doing serious recreation should carry a PLB. As for GPS receivers, since you already have a map, you really only need a basic Garmin. The Foretrex 301 is a solid basic unit (~$130 on Amazon). Teamed with a map (matching waypoints on each), you have a great back-up to your navigation.

Many emergencies start with getting lost. Your goal is to do everything you can to never need to activate the PLB. But it's still there when you need it.

#258030 - 03/25/13 10:28 PM Re: PLB or GPS? [Re: LeeG]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
From a pure risk mitigation perspective, I think the PLB wins. Loosing your way isn't the only situation you could need one, but injury, unexpected weather or animal attacks are other situations where it could be needed (for example). It gives you a way to get help no matter the emergency.

That said, when facing the same decision I went for the GPS (and I pretty much never have cell service where I go). I ultimately decided that staying found was more important to me than having a lifeline for those less likely, but potentially life threatening, situations.

#258031 - 03/25/13 10:30 PM Re: PLB or GPS? [Re: LeeG]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I was struck by the very short piece you mentioned. I usually carry a light climbing rope when in rough country,even when the plan calls for sticking to the trail. But I would carry a minimum of sixty feet, and one hundred feet is often preferable. At a diameter of 8 or 9 millimeters, the weight is tolerable. This strategy has paid off several times for me.

One more suggestion. Do you contemplate any overnight trips? If so, I feel it would be preferable to invest in a quality sleeping bag, and/or tent, or conceivably, upgrade your backpack. I would put any of those items at a higher priority than either a PLB or GPS. In the Superstitions or most of the country in Arizona or similar environs, you will do very well with quality maps and terrain association.

I would agree with Russ with respect to the Garmin 301, which is the model I use. But I would put either electronic appliance at a lower priority than acquiring a good, basic set of backcountry gear, and acquiring substantial first aid training.

Edited by hikermor (03/25/13 10:34 PM)

#258035 - 03/25/13 11:57 PM Re: PLB or GPS? [Re: LeeG]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Your iPhone has a pretty decent GPS engine built in especially if you have an iPhone 5 combined with some excellent electronic mapping apps. (they want to keep tabs on you down to the nearest couple of square meters)

You could always use it in conjunction with a SPOT connect and use their App to send satellite text messages to Twitter/Facebook etc.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=116

#258073 - 03/26/13 10:00 AM Re: PLB or GPS? [Re: LeeG]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
You'd get more use out of a GPS and hopefully stay found with it., but getting lost is only one of the reasons you might need rescue. Take a look at your risk factors illness and injury while weighing these two options.

Also, please remember to file a detailed trip plan with someone you know is responsible. Talk with them about when to initiate a search. Have an agreed upon plan for your hike and your rescue, and then stick to it. If you deviate while you're out there, let them know ASAP. IMO, if you can't confidently update them of changes, don't deviate from your route.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#258081 - 03/26/13 01:14 PM Re: PLB or GPS? [Re: LeeG]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Like Bacpacjac said, you will actually use the GPS more, but the PLB can save your life. You may only use it once, but that one time could be very important.

#258084 - 03/26/13 01:56 PM Re: PLB or GPS? [Re: LeeG]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

I say buy the PLB and use the GPS capabilities of your phone, especially since you're in an area without a lot of tree cover. Learn how lat/lon & UTM coordinates work, carry a good gridded map, and then all you'll really need is point position from your phone's GPS. Everything beyond that is gravy.

Over time you'll become very adept and familiar with keeping up with your position on the map, helped along as needed with occasional GPS fixes. Then when you get some extra cash you'll have a bit of a clue as to features to look for in a GPS.

It's win-win. You get the immediate safety factor of a great PLB, and you then enhance your knowledge and understanding of the things that make GPS truly useful.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.