Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#228185 - 07/21/11 11:44 PM Re: Special Prep Considerations for Women [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
LOL@Jeanette! Me either, really, but I am envious occassionally. wink

I'll bet it would be nice in seriously sub-zero temps.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#228186 - 07/21/11 11:50 PM Re: Special Prep Considerations for Women [Re: bacpacjac]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Me either, really, but I am envious occassionally. wink

I never had that specific issue. It's the other stuff that bugs me.

Jeanette Isabelle

#228188 - 07/22/11 12:08 AM Re: Special Prep Considerations for Women [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
Me either, really, but I am envious occassionally. wink

I never had that specific issue. It's the other stuff that bugs me.

Jeanette Isabelle

Other stuff?

#228194 - 07/22/11 12:59 AM Re: Special Prep Considerations for Women [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

We get low on iron once a month. Some women even need iron supplements. Low iron means less energy. There are lots of food sources but, for longer term scenarios, it's probably a good idea to stock a multi-vitamin made specifically for women. Warning though: too much iron can be dangerous.

#228209 - 07/22/11 04:34 AM Re: Special Prep Considerations for Women [Re: bacpacjac]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
We get low on iron once a month. Some women even need iron supplements. Low iron means less energy. There are lots of food sources but, for longer term scenarios, it's probably a good idea to stock a multi-vitamin made specifically for women. Warning though: too much iron can be dangerous.

Ummm.... I'm pretty sure that most women that need iron supplements just aren't eating a good diet. I mean, the average blood loss during a typical menstrual cycle is something like 100ml. Given that most women are running with about 5000ml in their tank, it's a very small volume to lose. And since your average red blood cell lifespan is 90 days, a body pretty much replaces 1% of it's totaly blood volume per day (ie, 50ml). Which means ... 2 days to replace what you lose in a menstrual cycle.

Now granted, there's some tissue loss as well, but it's also a pretty small amount in the scheme of things.

Yes, vitamins in general are probably a good idea. A decent meal is probably better. We weren't designed with vitamins in mind.

#228277 - 07/23/11 03:13 AM Re: Special Prep Considerations for Women [Re: MDinana]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Agreed. The low energy many women experience around this time may have another cause that are very likely at least in part nutritional.

So... It may be a stereotype, but many of the moms, aunts, grandmothers, etc. I know would feed themselves last during a crisis and be at greater risk of a nutritional imbalance.

#228293 - 07/23/11 08:24 AM Re: Special Prep Considerations for Women [Re: bacpacjac]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I was going to ask why this thread focuses so closely on woman physiology and seems to ignore the wider scope of woman survival, and was going to suggest Mace ..etc. in her survival kit. However, the thread focus has become very very interesting.

So, I will add a point in the same area. Suppose a husband/wife couple have the prepper mentality and have well designed BOBs. They decide to have a baby . OK, don't you think they have to put extra (what-if)s in mind since the woman is going to be pregnant and not as atheletic as she is now.

Even if she has been hiking with the husband every week and practicing bug out on foot to their cabin, a few months down the road, she may not be able to carry the same backpack half of the distance.

So, like "un-pregnancy" requires some considerations of monthly cycle ...etc, pregnancy in a survival situation brings whole lot of concerns and considerations.

#228294 - 07/23/11 08:30 AM Re: Special Prep Considerations for Women [Re: bacpacjac]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Also, being pregnant you have check several items in your kit , like sleeping bag ..etc. to see if their size is till roomy and comfortable.

And ....

maybe the stress of a survival situation can trigger a premature childbirth even if you thought there is two more months to go.
So, do you have enough towels ..etc. in your kit ?

The guy in such scenario HAS TO increase his load considerably.

#228296 - 07/23/11 09:10 AM Re: Special Prep Considerations for Women [Re: bacpacjac]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

A third U-Tube related to woman survival stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHTYl6F9ZEA

Haven't looked at it myself. Just saw the title and thought to include it here for hopefully anything insteresting that women can find in it.

#228299 - 07/23/11 11:12 AM Re: Special Prep Considerations for Women [Re: Chisel]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Chisel
I was going to ask why this thread focuses so closely on woman physiology and seems to ignore the wider scope of woman survival, and was going to suggest Mace ..etc. in her survival kit.

Protection is a very valid concern. Sometimes being a woman puts me more at risk. I'm not about to carry a guns (lots of reaons, not a hater) so other ideas are welcome. Here's what I have:

Wilderness:
-whistle on lanyard
-knife on belt
-bear spray
-camp with men or set-up camp to make it look like I do

Urban:
-big crow bar under desk at work
-heavy purse slung over on my shoulder
-proactively improve security at work (i.e. lock doors, radio on, lights on in all offices when I'm alone, etc.)
-my wits/situational awareness

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.