Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#258831 - 04/10/13 09:32 PM Re: Rebuilding My Day Hike Kit - Help! [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Lights are a weakness of mine too.

No, that's a strength laugh.

#258866 - 04/11/13 12:42 PM Re: Rebuilding My Day Hike Kit - Help! [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I'm listening!

I just took out the esbit and hobo stoves. Also removed the extra alcohol and esbit tabs. That gives me the canteen and alcohol stoves, 2 oz of fuel and 12 esbit tabs, which should be more than enough. Saved a little weight and some space. :-)

This stuff is now housed in two bags:

-the canteen/shelter kit (GI canteen, canteen cup and cozy, canteen stove, 12 esbit tabs, 4 microPUR tabs, bandana and aluminum foil plus shelter roll.)

-a small stuff sack for the alcohol stove kit. (Penny stove, snuffer, penny, 2 oz of alcohol,, plastic match safe with SA matches and a couple of cotton balls, warming pan, small trying pan with lid.)

BTW, one of the little cake pans that come with Easy Bake Oven kits makes an awesome warming pan for a penny stove. wink

I also swapped out the gsi kettle and the frying pan, and replaced them with an Ozarks Trail SS camp mug with lid (cookie tin lid) and smaller SS frying pan with lid. The mug and lid nest with my SS water bottle and it's merino wool sock cozy. The frying pan and lid are housing my penny stove and fuel. Saved both room and weight. :-)

Still pondering knives and lights...

Thanks again for all your help with this!

Edited by bacpacjac (04/11/13 01:14 PM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#258867 - 04/11/13 01:17 PM Re: Rebuilding My Day Hike Kit - Help! [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
The other is afraid of the dark and a clutz like his mom.

I used to be afraid of the dark as a child. Then I watched all the Ghostbusters movies and watched the cartoon series religious in the late 80's and early 90's. My parents bought me all the kid sized equipment thanks to Universal Studios in Orlando selling it at the stage production. Convinced myself I was a freakin' Ghostbuster. Cause you feel safer if you believe that hunk of plastic on your back REALLY IS an unlicensed nuclear accelerator.

Every halloween for 5 years I wore the costume. Even spray painted my Power Wheelz to look like Ecto-1 as I drove around the neighborhood at the rapid pace of 3.5MPH.

Turns out a prominent psychologist did a study about children who bought the toys and watched the movies and cartoon. Most of them used it as a tool to overcome fears of the dark and monsters under the bed.

Love it, Izzy! We used a similar strategy to overcome his fear of spiders a few years ago. Hard to be afraid of them when you are a mighty hunter of them. :-)

#258868 - 04/11/13 01:18 PM Re: Rebuilding My Day Hike Kit - Help! [Re: MoBOB]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: MoBOB
First aid and baby poop in the dark suck just a little more than the boogie man.
That is oh so funny and true. A little side trip here: When I was driving out of Alaska in November of '90, I was the only non-uterine member of the expedition. Try getting a 4 yr-old girl to use a "Lady J" in a van at 20 below zero! I had to walk around outside for about 20 minutes waiting for that transaction. I think I would have preferred to see a Yeti to get things moving along! I feel your pain Jac.

Oh my gosh! That sounds positively torturous!

#258869 - 04/11/13 01:20 PM Re: Rebuilding My Day Hike Kit - Help! [Re: chaosmagnet]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Lights are a weakness of mine too.

No, that's a strength laugh.

Thank goodness I'm too cheap to have a fortune invested in them. wink

#258871 - 04/11/13 01:56 PM Re: Rebuilding My Day Hike Kit - Help! [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Thank goodness I'm too cheap to have a fortune invested in them. wink

It's a good time to be a flashaholic. The state of the art has progressed rapidly, and there are some outright tremendous LED lights being made right now.

#258872 - 04/11/13 03:05 PM Re: Rebuilding My Day Hike Kit - Help! [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I am rather impressed by the state of the art in flashlight technology today. Compared to the old D cell Ray-O-Vac "neverlite" of old, even the substandard contemporary torches are really good - the high quality lights today are absolutely unbelievable. No wonder we talk of the Dark Ages...

#261085 - 06/02/13 04:09 AM Re: Rebuilding My Day Hike Kit - Help! [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

This sucker has evolved into a BOB/GHB, which is what I really needed. Thanks for helping me think through it. I use it as the basis of day and extended stay trips, and am testing it on my back a few times a week, with two more camps to go until I take it on a five day portaging trip with my Scouts at the end of June.

Took it out for a hike again today, and then came home and made more adjustments as I thought about portaging a canoe (or baby) with it.

Here's how it sits tonight:

Jack Wolfskin Agadir 65L pack

LID
Lanyard (Fox 40 whistle, mini BIC, Gerber Clutch, fauxton LED - loop on belt)
Ball hat (ditch in Jeep if already wearing one)
Condor Buff-like thingy
Sunglasses
Hard case for prescription sunglasses)
CRKT 302 folder (in nylon sheath - for belt)
BIC (yellow, in nylon sheath - for belt)
Deck of cards
Fire kit (ferro rod, mini folder, tampon, jute, char cloth, Altoids tin with natural tinder bundle and char cloth - pocket carry)
Feminine hygiene kit (pads, tampons, wipes, Ziplocks)
Extra Scout Group Bandana

SIDE POCKET ONE
SS water bottle (1.5L)
Ozarks Trails SSCamp Cup & lid
Outbound Robson 2 PC adonized cook set (with lid)

SIDE POCKET TWO
Leather work gloves
BG Ultimate Survival Knife (fine edge)
Bacho Laplander saw
100 ft paracord
50 polypropylene rope
Tool kit ( in Ziplock and pencil case - LED headlamp, LED flashlight, extra batteries in Plano fly box, Frontier straw filter, 6 MicroPUR tabs, Sylvan compass, AMK signal mirror, eye glass screw driver, etc.)
Maps (in water proof map case)

FRONT POCKET
FAK (as above, AMK kit with duct tape, triangular, maxi pads, 1p Heatsheet, extra gauze, moleskin, AMK Blister Medic, Purelle, CPR mask, nitrile gloves, SPF lip balm, squeeze LED, etc.)
OTC and prescription meds (in original bottles, with instructions)
Hygiene kit (tooth brush, paste, soap, deodorant, floss, wash cloth)
Sunscreen
Bug juice

BOTTOM POCKET
Woobie (in dry bag)
Katadyn water filter
3 X 1L Platypus bags
2L collapsible water jug
20 Aquamira tabs
Bandana
Ripstop nylon GI style poncho

MAIN POCKET
Clothes (in dry bag - LS wool/poly shirt, LS lightweight cotton button up shirt, lined nylon wind pants, 2 X unders, 3 x merino socks, bra, micro fleece jacket, silk sleeping bag liner, bug jacket, Flo orange Thinsulate beanie)
Crocs
Food (in Ziplocks - 6X Cliff bars, 6 X oatmeal, 6 X hot chocolate, 6 x coffee, 6 X Tang, bannock mix, raisins, maple syrup, peanut oil)
Cooking (Esbit pocket stove and fuel tabs (X7), Alcohol stove and 4 oz yellow Heet, titanium spork, strike anywhere matches in Coghlan's plastic match safe)
Shelter (Plastic drop sheet, Ripstop nylon GI style poncho, 6 ABS stakes, 2 X 25 ft para cord, 2p Heatsheets, disposable ponchos)
Hobo fishing kit

PACK WEBBING
Bedroll (3/4 Thermarest inflatable pad, blue foam mat, small piece of wool blanket)
Tarp Tipi Kit (Tarp tipi, 50 polypropylene rope with carabiner on one end, 6 ABS stakes, 7 X 10 ft paracord)
Trekking Pole
Garbage bags

LATE SPRING & SUMMER BUSH EDC
Paracord necklace (micro photon, mini harmonica, 2 ft paracord)
Watch (Coleman digital)
Paracord bracelet
Merrell hikers
Convertible pants or BDUs
Poly blend T-shirt
LS Button up light weight cotton shirt or BDU top
Merino wool socks
Cotton-poly blend unders
Cotton-poly blend sports bra
*folder or Leather man on belt (listed in TOP POCKET above)
*BIC or ferro rod on belt (listed in TOP POCKET above)

Updated pics once I get my camera fixed or replaced soon. :vmad:

#261137 - 06/05/13 06:43 PM Re: Rebuilding My Day Hike Kit - Help! [Re: bacpacjac]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
-- Just a comment on the Bacho Laplander....

I used my Bacho Laplander saw this last weekend to cut some limbs down from a couple of tree's out in front of my house... most of them fairly small ( < 2 inches ) but there were a coulple of 3 - 3.5 inch limbs.... I also had to cut these down into smaller sizes.

I was, once again, amazed at how easy this saw goes through wood. In fact, I had a couple of people stop and ask me what I was using to cut up the limbs, as they noticed I wasn't using a pole saw or something along those lines.

It's one of my favorite pieces of gear.

#261141 - 06/05/13 11:43 PM Re: Rebuilding My Day Hike Kit - Help! [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The Bacho Laplander is wonderful! We used it this past weekend to blast through mostly 2" branches to make smalled fuel for the fire. I love it! It's so smooth, light, easy, comfortable in the hand...

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 344 Guests and 90 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.