Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#257838 - 03/21/13 06:01 PM Re: Rebuilding My Day Hike Kit - Help! [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Thanks Chaos!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#257839 - 03/21/13 06:01 PM Re: Rebuilding My Day Hike Kit - Help! [Re: bacpacjac]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
EO5.....looks like same size and twice the output at 27 lumens.LOOOOVE mine for sure,thats a top quality build for sure,just plain excellent.

Fenix makes fine products but in researching Im seeing the S2 and S3 bulbs have serious quality issues so smart money says beware on lights with them,surprised how many reports of failure,etc with those.

Just bought ten various lights at Deal extreme last night,4 cheapies to replace the Harbor Freight trash I have around house (They 'sorta' work,horrible quality) and some sipiks for vehicles,low cost ten dollar lights that have good press for value,build and output (80 to 200 lumen ranges) over at candlepower forums for a sub 10 dollar light.IE,switches can be bulky at times but will turn on/off,just may have to do it more than once on occasion.Bargain lights.

For carry lights I'll stick to Fenix.Just astounding quality.Thank you all for teaching me about them.

I'll let ya all know if the Sipiks are worth it in real life.

#257843 - 03/21/13 06:16 PM Re: Rebuilding My Day Hike Kit - Help! [Re: bacpacjac]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Weirdly, I don't have a cell phone. I do have quarters for payphones and just added a signal mirror to my tool kit. Thanks again, Chaos!

Do you still have payphones? Seriously, about 5 years ago I was out and about (did not carry cell phone at the time), needed to call. . .and no payphones to be found anywhere. They seem to be disappearing. I now am forced to carry a cell phone because there are no payphones where we live. . .

So, maybe find the cheapest pay as you go dumb cell phone and add it to your kit. And a battery powered charger for it. . .just in case.

#257844 - 03/21/13 06:17 PM Re: Rebuilding My Day Hike Kit - Help! [Re: bws48]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Originally Posted By: bws48
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Weirdly, I don't have a cell phone. I do have quarters for payphones and just added a signal mirror to my tool kit. Thanks again, Chaos!

Do you still have payphones? Seriously, about 5 years ago I was out and about (did not carry cell phone at the time), needed to call. . .and no payphones to be found anywhere. They seem to be disappearing. I now am forced to carry a cell phone because there are no payphones where we live. . .

Even worse they can charge 3 bucks for a one minute LOCAL call!!!! Carry lots of change if thats the plan.BTDT.

#257852 - 03/21/13 08:22 PM Re: Rebuilding My Day Hike Kit - Help! [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
What do you get from your Nokia that makes it worth carrying for you?

#257857 - 03/21/13 08:37 PM Re: Rebuilding My Day Hike Kit - Help! [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I did have a cell phone for a little while last year. Got one of those Wind Mobile pay as you go plans and a knock-off blackberry from Japan. Thing just stopped working one day, and because I never used it, I kept forgetting to take it in to get it fixed. Turns out they charge a $50 deposit to get to send it for repair and don't offer loaner phones. Might as well pay the $60 and get one of their base model phones or switch to a new carrier and plan. Then I had a baby and forgot all about it until right now.

#257860 - 03/21/13 08:44 PM Re: Rebuilding My Day Hike Kit - Help! [Re: bacpacjac]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
this is a repost, but if anyone is looking for a relatively inexpensive, high intensity 2 x cr123 light capable of disorienting man or creature you might look at

http://www.solarforceflashlight-sales.com/

I've been happy with my Solar Force L2N body.... $13.00
320 lumen LED module.... $11.50
2 pack of cr123s ..... $5.00

shown with a Surefire 6P for size comparison... I carry this to places the State of Florida does not allow me to carry a pistol... I accidentally flashed myself and was seriously disoriented for at least 3 minutes... they make an 830 lumen module that probably double as a fire starter smile

Edited by LesSnyder (03/21/13 08:54 PM)

#257865 - 03/21/13 09:03 PM Re: Rebuilding My Day Hike Kit - Help! [Re: bacpacjac]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
For an emergency cell phone to carry outdoors, I'd consider looking into the SpareOne Emergency Phone.

Touted features include:
  • Talk-through, waterproof, floatable packaging
  • Powered provided by a single AA battery (comes with 15 year lithium)
  • Lightweight & slim design (75 grams)
  • LED Torchlight (up to 24 hours of continuous light)

I don't know much more than what is on the website, but it seems worth looking into.

#257867 - 03/21/13 09:17 PM Re: Rebuilding My Day Hike Kit - Help! [Re: ]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
I thought it seemed familiar when I saw it in the CES coverage earlier this year smile.

#257869 - 03/21/13 09:44 PM Re: Rebuilding My Day Hike Kit - Help! [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I suddenly feel strange that I carry two cellphones. One is my contract iPhone 5. The other is an old Nokia brick that I bought at a 7 Eleven.

I'm glad this thread is here. Because I've been meaning to get a post up on my blog about my "Woods E.D.C." after a few requests. Guess I better do that soon.

I look forward to that post, Izzy! :-)

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 144 Guests and 48 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.