Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#251 - 04/02/01 06:53 PM Nice Kit, AndyO
Anonymous
Unregistered

I vacuum packed:<br><br>Acme Tornado flat whistle (available at Pep Boy's)<br>a very small Cricket pocket electronic butane lighter<br>thick rubber band for tinder<br>15mm button compass (works through the package)<br>1 hook<br>monofilament fishing line<br>razor blade<br><br>I'ts not a comprehensive kit, but these are some of the very hardest things to improvise.<br><br>The bulk of the package is about the size of a Zippo lighter, just a little wider. I may add a needle, a match, a trick birthday candle and a pre-medicated bandaid or 2. I would have put in my Photon II, but I've been carrying that separately in my pocket lately.<br><br>

#252 - 04/03/01 04:44 AM Thanx, I'm repacking to show compass!!
AndyO Offline

Loc: Jawja
I'm also going to add Uncle Bill's tweezers and a large needle. That's it, I promise.<br><br>

#253 - 04/04/01 08:25 PM Re: Thanx, I'm repacking to show compass!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Who's Uncle Bill?<br><br>As long as you are repacking, be sure to orient your Photon II flashlight so it can also be used without opening the vacuum-package. BTW, you may have to experiment with various arrangements if you get magnetic compass interferance from other objects in your kit. <br><br>Your tip on putting a starter slit in the edge of the vacuum bag was just what I was looking for. It makes opening a whole lot easier. Thanks.<br><br>

#254 - 04/04/01 09:40 PM Re: Thanx, I'm repacking to show compass!!
AndyO Offline

Loc: Jawja
Uncle Bill's tweezers are short fat tweezers that are the real deal unlike the knockoffs that come in Adventure Medical Kits. You can get Uncle Bill's tweezers at REI.<br><br>

#255 - 04/06/01 05:30 PM Uncle Bill's tweezers, new micro kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks. Funny thing: I actally have those tweezers in my 1st aid kit. I had just forgotten what they were called.<br><br>I just re-vacuum-packed my micro kit. I ended up with:<br><br>Cricket pocket electronic lighter (tiny)<br>rubber band for tinder<br>trick birthday candle for tinder<br>Acme tornado flat whistle with retro-reflective tape added<br>15mm button compass<br>2 pre-medicated 3M "band-aids"<br>razor blade<br>needle<br>paper clip (a bit of wire for general improvising)<br>2 hooks, line and Trilene knot diagram for fishing<br><br>It is still very much a shirt-pocket-sized kit even though my list got a little longer.<br><br>I also determined that the Tilia vacuum bags can be used for tinder in a pinch. They are not an ideal tinder, but they support a flame pretty well and drip flaming drops of melted nylon that can be directed onto your kindling to help get it burning. So unlike regular tinder, you would burn this *over* what you want to light.<br><br>

#256 - 10/04/01 01:50 PM Vacuum packing: new method
Anonymous
Unregistered

For those of you with a FoodSaver, I have a new method for vacuum-packing survival gear. It makes small vacuum pouches easy to hang from a neck-lanyard or a safety pin.<br><br>See the illustration below. The process is:<br>(1) make an extra seal along one edge of the package (effectively making two separate pouches). <br>(2) cut the ends open in the second pouch.<br>(3) you will be left with a plastic tunnel through which a lanyard can be passed. <br><br>It's great for a micro-kit and also works well for protecting a signal mirror. It will keep the gear protected from sweat or moisture so it would be a good way to keep some gear handy during water sports.<br><br><pre> -------------------<br> / <- pass-thru -> \ <br> +---------------------+<br> | |<br> | |<br> | Gear goes |<br> | |<br> | in here. |<br> | |<br> | |<br> | |<br> | |<br> | |<br> | |<br> | |<br> +---------------------+</pre><p><br><br><br><br>

#257 - 10/04/01 01:55 PM Re: Vacuum packing: new method
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good tip. Thanks for sharing<br><br>

#258 - 10/07/01 05:14 PM Re: I'm not Doug, but...
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
How did you do the water????<br><br>

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.