Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#257826 - 03/21/13 04:55 PM Rebuilding My Day Hike Kit - Help!
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
We got a bit a of a Spring preview recently, and it got me itching to get out hiking. The Ides of March find me still housebound, but I'm playing with my day hiking kit this afternoon. It's also going to function as my GHB. It's a work in progress and I'd love your suggestions.

There no kid in this kit, although I'll very likely hike with my own or my Scouts when I use it. All my kids have their own kits. The 24 and almost 10 year olds can carry their own, while the baby's rides in the bucket of her stroller. (She won't always be with me when I use this kit. She has clothes, blankets, diapers/wipes/cream/baggies, water/formula/bottles and FAK in her kit. My Petzle e+ Lite headlamp is in there as well, along with an LED glow stick, multi-tool, and a few other goodies. This way the baby's bob can go with whoever she's with at the time.)

With no further fanfare, here's a list of the contents of my bag as it sits now. No idea how much it weighs. Probably too much but it's comfortable in the living room. wink :-) The water and canteen cup are particularly heavy and are on the upgrade list. I've already noticed that I'm missing a headlamp, and I haven't added bug juice or sunscreen yet either. I think I'll add a baseball hat too.

BACKPACK - generic daypack-sized Kodiak brand from Walmart

LANYARD - Fox 40 whistle, LED squeeze, mini multi-tool, mini BIC

FIRE KIT - (In leather pouch with lanyard) ferro rod, bic, tampon, jute twine, char cloth, Altoids tin

TOOL KIT- (In red pencil case) fixed blade knife, LED, small chem light, garbage bags, duct tape, extra batteries (in Plano box), signal mirror, quarters

FAK - AMK Field Trauma Kit + triangular, Mylar blanket, LED, maxi pads, H2O tabs, breastmilk bags, OTC meds, purelle

SHELTER KIT- (In USGI molle canteen pouch With H2O Kit) poncho, paracord, bungee cord, tent stakes, Heatsheet (2p), silk sleeping bag liner, chem warmers

H2O KIT - (In USGI molle canteen pouch with Shelter Kit) USGI canteen, canteen cup, canteen stove, bandana, BIC (+FAK - tabs, bags)

CLOTHES - (in dry bag) merino socks, LS wool shirt, lined wind pants, Flo O thinsulate watch cap, liner gloves, (2) emerg ponchos, fleece jacket

FOOD - (In ziplock bags) cliff bars, coffee, tang, titanium spork

UPDATE: The kit will be the basis of my overnight kit. It's compartmentalized so I can easily upgrade for foul weather or more off-the-beaten path trips. Changing out the lightweight poncho for a more substantial shelter & sleep system, adding an axe or saw, or throwing in more robust cook & food kits, for example.

Edited by bacpacjac (03/21/13 10:48 PM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#257827 - 03/21/13 05:01 PM Re: Rebuilding My Day Hike Kit - Help! [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I'd probably get rid of the chem light, perhaps replacing it with spare batteries for one of the flashlights. I would definitely add a full-size multitool and a signal mirror. Does it make sense to add a way to charge your cellphone?

#257828 - 03/21/13 05:06 PM Re: Rebuilding My Day Hike Kit - Help! [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Spare batteries! Thanks Chaos! I knew I was forgetting something. I do have a little Plano fly box with extra batteries for each power-sucker. It's part of the tool kit.

#257829 - 03/21/13 05:08 PM Re: Rebuilding My Day Hike Kit - Help! [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Weirdly, I don't have a cell phone. I do have quarters for payphones and just added a signal mirror to my tool kit. Thanks again, Chaos!

#257830 - 03/21/13 05:10 PM Re: Rebuilding My Day Hike Kit - Help! [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

I'm more likely to go outside without my pants than without my cellphone laugh.

#257831 - 03/21/13 05:13 PM Re: Rebuilding My Day Hike Kit - Help! [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I should also elaborate that I EDC a photon, bandana and Leatherman Wave (along with a ferro rod, maglite solitaire, cotton balls in sheath) and a key chain with - photon, SAK, fox 40 whistle, key fob with prescription & otc meds, and paracord.

Weather appropriate clothing for someone sensitive to the cold can also be assumed. (I.e. wool, fleece and synthetic layers)

Edited by bacpacjac (03/21/13 05:19 PM)

#257832 - 03/21/13 05:14 PM Re: Rebuilding My Day Hike Kit - Help! [Re: chaosmagnet]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I'm more likely to go outside without my pants than without my cellphone laugh.

It took me a long time to break my blackberry addiction. Now I find it easy to live without. I do want one for emergencies though.

#257833 - 03/21/13 05:48 PM Re: Rebuilding My Day Hike Kit - Help! [Re: bacpacjac]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Jacqui... when you get a chance, change out the Maglight Solitaire for a Fenix E01 or similar AAA lithium LED... a couple of neoprene "O" rings around the body will attach one to the temple bows of a pair of glasses to make an improvised head lamp

#257834 - 03/21/13 05:49 PM Re: Rebuilding My Day Hike Kit - Help! [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks Les. I've been wanting to upgrade that light and they sell Fenix at the local military surplus store. I'll check it out!

#257836 - 03/21/13 05:52 PM Re: Rebuilding My Day Hike Kit - Help! [Re: LesSnyder]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
Jacqui... when you get a chance, change out the Maglight Solitaire for a Fenix E01 or similar AAA lithium LED... a couple of neoprene "O" rings around the body will attach one to the temple bows of a pair of glasses to make an improvised head lamp

Agreed, the Solitaire is not great. The E01 is inexpensive, bombproof, and has excellent runtime (if not the greatest output or tint). The ThruNite Ti is about the same cost with better tint, and the option of low output for long runtime and high output for when you need it.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 174 Guests and 48 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.