The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#257654 - 03/16/13 09:45 PM Re: I recommend this movie [Re: Chisel]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Jeannette, I am not a wilderness guy myself. The overall theme of being equipped is what keeps me here. Your perspective helps all of us because we don't live in the Metroplex. The Metroplex is different from NYC, Atlanta, DC, Boston; you name it. Each wrinkle in the fabric adds to the richness. I was so glad when the Urban section was added. It was a natural outgrowth of what Doug has been advocating - be equipped. Our personal interests in books, movies, and so on are not necessarily what binds us as a cyber community. It is the fact that we are equippers and want to know more about it and share it with others that is what is important. I shared the woman-specific threads with a guy I know because he has four girls. Those threads are invaluable. The same is true for the viewpoint of a Texan sci-fi gal - invaluable. We need to hear it. If you happen to come across a nerdy-geeky type that is great. If you come across a guy like me; a low-brow, slack-jawed, knuckle-draggin' drooler, that is fine too. I said all of that to say this: we need to hear your voice just as much as anybody else's. Keep pluggin' away sister!!

My $.02

#257665 - 03/17/13 01:34 AM Re: I recommend this movie [Re: Chisel]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

That's some pretty clear-headed, eloquent stuff, MoBOB! I don't think you drag your knuckles as much as you make it out to be.

Re: safety in the city, I agree with Jeanette that a bit of common sense can go a long way. A lot of people live safely in cities, after all. But it seems to me that city living, especially in the sketchy part of town, requires a kind of vigilance that must be learned. You become aware of spots where robberies/attacks could happen. You become sensitive to patterns after spending time living in an urban environment. Maybe people who haven't lived in urban environments can't pick them up yet. Or maybe they let their fears do the typing on the computer when they post their anti-urban prejudices.

#257666 - 03/17/13 02:03 AM Re: I recommend this movie [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
I’m not the only geek here. Therefore you are right in that I am not the only one who would enjoy Stargate, Stargate SG-1, Stargate: Atlantis and anime.

And, I know, I am not the only one here living in a big city. The feeling I get is, I am the only one who loves the big city and would feel uncomfortable in the wilderness.

Jeanette Isabelle

Stargate the move did not do much for me.

Stargate SG1 the series I liked.

Stargate Atlantis was too convoluted for me to appreciate.

Bob

#257667 - 03/17/13 02:45 AM Re: I recommend this movie [Re: Bingley]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Bingley
I don't think you drag your knuckles as much as you make it out to be.

If a knuckle-dragger is his identity, that is his prerogative.

In Proverbs 29:18 is says: “Where there is no vision, the people perish. . . .”

The same can be said for identity: “Where there is no [identity], the people perish. . . .” Without an identity, we’re living on autopilot.

Jeanette Isabelle

#257669 - 03/17/13 03:26 AM Re: I recommend this movie [Re: ILBob]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: ILBob
Stargate the move did not do much for me.

Stargate SG1 the series I liked.

Not only is Stargate a great setup for Stargate SG-1, it is an art house science fiction film, a combination we normally don’t see. Both were great in that they combine science fiction with mythology.

For those with no clue to what I just said, Stargate uses science fiction to “explain” the origins of mythology and Merlin of the Arthurian legend. The gods in mythology were actually aliens. Thousands of years ago, people of Earth passed on what they experienced the best way they knew how. Some of these “gods” were slave-drivers, others were benevolent.

Jeanette Isabelle

#257672 - 03/17/13 04:14 AM Re: I recommend this movie [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

If a knuckle-dragger is his identity, that is his prerogative.

I think MoBob is just being self-depracating or ironic, and I was paying him a direct compliment to balance out his indirectness.

Of course if MoBob isn't OK with that, then I invite him over here for some microbrew and bare-knuckle blowout.

#257673 - 03/17/13 04:27 AM Re: I recommend this movie [Re: Bingley]
Carpal Tunnel

He seems okay talking with a geek goddess. It’s all good.

Jeanette Isabelle

#257681 - 03/17/13 01:56 PM Re: I recommend this movie [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Stay out of bad neighborhoods, stay out of dark places even in the good part of town, seek safety in numbers and know your area or at least know what to look for. If you drive, don’t let your tire pressure drop below 30 p.s.i. [this avoids a blowout], know your engine [your engine light should not have to say you are low on oil, you should already know it] and keep a flashlight, tools and engine fluids in your car.

• Stay out of bad neighborhoods -- I'd add that you won't always know where the bad neighborhoods are, so keep yourself in a relaxed state of alertness and pay attention to the places you are driving through. Stores with barred windows, boarded-up buildings, gang graffiti, obvious prostitutes, and particularly gangbangers "posting" -- standing around in the street looking around like sentries -- these are all signs that you should be taking yourself elsewhere.
  • Stay out of dark places even in the good part of town -- Agreed. Bring a flashlight but allow your night vision to be undisturbed and keep from calling attention to yourself by not using it unless it's warranted.
  • Seek safety in numbers -- I like being where there are many small groups of people but I don't like being around big crowds. Big crowds have their own psychology and may attract robbers and other violent criminals as much as abandoned areas do.
  • Know your area -- Agreed. Seek a native guide when you're not in your area.
  • Know what to look for -- Pay close attention to the state of the buildings and the people around you, and you'll start to see and understand the signs.
  • If you drive, don't let your tire pressure fall below 30 PSI -- The correct tire pressure for your car is normally listed on a sticker inside the driver's door. Below 30 PSI is definitely too low for most vehicles.
  • Know your engine -- Amen.
  • Keep a flashlight, tools and engine fluids in your car -- My car has about 70K miles on it and is meticulously maintained, so I actually do not keep oil, transmission fluid and the like in it. With regard to flashlight and tools, I definitely agree. I would add a small assortment of fuses and ten feet or so of galvanized wire. A tire plug kit and a compressor would not be amiss.

Most importantly keep your eyes and ears open. I'm looking for very different things in the city than I do in the suburbs, and different things again when I'm in the backcountry.

#257682 - 03/17/13 02:24 PM Re: I recommend this movie [Re: chaosmagnet]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

• If you drive, don't let your tire pressure fall below 30 PSI -- The correct tire pressure for your car is normally listed on a sticker inside the driver's door. Below 30 PSI is definitely too low for most vehicles.

Even better, look on the tire.

Jeanette Isabelle

#257683 - 03/17/13 02:32 PM Re: I recommend this movie [Re: Chisel]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
The pressure on the tire is the maximum pressure the tire is designed for. The pressure on the door frame is the correct pressure for any appropriate tire on that vehicle.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 432 Guests and 45 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.